Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P and Tanks

theUndead
12.04.2012 , 11:56 AM | #1
Please note I am not having a go at anyone this is just a observation I have encounterd . Also I am not ranting or at least I am trying not to but I wanted to share this with you guys.

Now I play on the Dalabora PVE server and all my toons are stationed there but since F2P hit I have noticed a alarming rate of well...really bad tanks.

Now before anyone complains, the reason why I say this is for the past week each time I have done a FP on my Guardian (DPS) the tanks that I am paired up with are really bad at tanking and when I say bad I mean they do not hold agro correctly, refuse to put guards on DPS or more importantly they charge into every fight without waiting for the rest of the group.

Now perhaps I just had a bad week when it came to pugs but seriously it gets frustrating at times. For example we got into FE a few days ago and the tank had 2k lower health than I did and before anyone asks he was not a fresh 50 but he was in completely wrong gear, I mean stacking things like cunning and strength. Anyway , so the instance continues with me stealing threat of this guy all the time him saying he wont put guard on me and during the HK fight our healer died why he was fighting the turrets then says to us "Sorry they were taking to much of my health" I was like *FACEPALM* but I decided to grind it out and finish the instance which included the tank dieing to Malgus and me having to pretend tank with my taunts and DPS at the same time.

So yeah I do not know if other's have experienced this but yeah tanking on this server seems to be a dieing art.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

happysister
12.04.2012 , 11:23 PM | #2
i spent about two hours on the second boss of LI HM with a tank who brought tionese and recruit gear with him. i was the healer. the DPS in the party swapped out every few tries due to the tank failing to hold agro and not being able to get the gist of the fight. it didn't really help that all the DPS that qued were melee ether.

i give the tank credit though. he did try. over, and over, and over again. he even took short breaks to watch some videos on the boss mechanics. but he was way undergeared, he kept having problems interrupting incinerate, and he kept backing the boss in corners that were full with lightning. you have no idea how badly i wanted to just hop on my own tank so that i could get us past that boss.

eventually, the newbie tank left and we got a proper one who was geared well and knew exactly what he was doing.
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic

haliy
12.05.2012 , 11:13 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
refuse to put guards on DPS
So coming from a tank POV, not always will i be putting guard on the DPS. There is actually quite the discussion on wether or not you should be guarding DPS over the Healer which can be found here so don't expect every tank to be guarding the DPS. Depending on the fight, i could possibly be switching my guard from DPS to the healer if i know the healer will be taking damage threw the fights (LR-5 on lost island for example). It is extremely rare that a dps pulls aggro from me and i just taunt the aggro back if they do. When my guard is on the healer though, i try to make sure I am within that 15m range. If however a dps is constantly pulling aggro from the tank; then yes, i would hope that the tank would be putting a guard on that dps. It's just bad juju not too.

Quote: Originally Posted by happysister View Post
i spent about two hours on the second boss of LI HM with a tank who brought tionese and recruit gear with him. i was the healer. the DPS in the party swapped out every few tries due to the tank failing to hold agro and not being able to get the gist of the fight. it didn't really help that all the DPS that qued were melee ether.

i give the tank credit though. he did try. over, and over, and over again. he even took short breaks to watch some videos on the boss mechanics. but he was way undergeared, he kept having problems interrupting incinerate, and he kept backing the boss in corners that were full with lightning. you have no idea how badly i wanted to just hop on my own tank so that i could get us past that boss.

eventually, the newbie tank left and we got a proper one who was geared well and knew exactly what he was doing.
I truly applaud you for sticking it out with that tank. There are very few healers that I know who would have even started lost island before either kicking that tank or leaving themselves.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

killifishes
12.05.2012 , 12:45 PM | #4
You only described one flash point w/a bad tank.. I don't think it is because of f2p there are always bad tanks, or people in general that might not know what they are doing yet. It might help to not try to taunt though... especially if that is not agreed upon by the healer and tank. By taunting you are forcing the healer to essentially heal two tanks which can suck. That is probably why your tank died on Malgus. If you have aggro you should probably stop dps for a sec, so the tank can get aggro off of you if he/she is paying attention. & as for guarding it's probably up to the tanks discretion.

shadowrouge
12.05.2012 , 02:41 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
Please note I am not having a go at anyone this is just a observation I have encounterd . Also I am not ranting or at least I am trying not to but I wanted to share this with you guys.

Now I play on the Dalabora PVE server and all my toons are stationed there but since F2P hit I have noticed a alarming rate of well...really bad tanks.

Now before anyone complains, the reason why I say this is for the past week each time I have done a FP on my Guardian (DPS) the tanks that I am paired up with are really bad at tanking and when I say bad I mean they do not hold agro correctly, refuse to put guards on DPS or more importantly they charge into every fight without waiting for the rest of the group.

Now perhaps I just had a bad week when it came to pugs but seriously it gets frustrating at times. For example we got into FE a few days ago and the tank had 2k lower health than I did and before anyone asks he was not a fresh 50 but he was in completely wrong gear, I mean stacking things like cunning and strength. Anyway , so the instance continues with me stealing threat of this guy all the time him saying he wont put guard on me and during the HK fight our healer died why he was fighting the turrets then says to us "Sorry they were taking to much of my health" I was like *FACEPALM* but I decided to grind it out and finish the instance which included the tank dieing to Malgus and me having to pretend tank with my taunts and DPS at the same time.

So yeah I do not know if other's have experienced this but yeah tanking on this server seems to be a dieing art.
Bad tanks will be out there wither they are F2P or subs. As for the guard on DPS. I can keep agro with out putting guard on DPS. I dont put guard on DPS no matter how much they grip and demand it. guard is for my healer. the healer will draw agro 10 times faster than DPS if they know what they are doing.

Has been and always will be if the healer dies the party wipes.
Weekend Beta tester 11-11-11/ Thanksgiving tester 11-25-11

theUndead
12.06.2012 , 08:04 AM | #6
Thanks for the responses guys. To the guy who spoke about the debate about guarding, I never thought of it that way I was always under the impression the best DPS gets the guard to prevent them from stealing threat. But now I realize that healers generate natural threat anyway from their healing abilities so I guess in some FP's it would be more beneficial to put guard on the healer.

In the end though I know people who tank (myself included) will play in a way that is best suited to them I guess what is frustrating is when they make such obvious mistakes and when asked about it they either rage quit or throw some comment back. I suppose in the end if the boss dies that is all that matters.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

happysister
12.06.2012 , 10:37 PM | #7
after another two hours wasted in LI HM (i didn't even get to finish it this time cause i ran out of money from all the repairs) i feel the need to say...

if you are a tank that just hit level 50, please do not que for Lost Island. Tionese and Recruit gear is not good enough for this Tier 2 flashpoint. neither is orange gear modded with level 48 blues. before you try to tackle Lost Island, please spend time running the other HMs and gearing yourself up. otherwise, your party will get very frustrated when you continuously wipe at the LR-5 Sentinel Droid. same goes for every class, really.

Fiamma_Verde
12.08.2012 , 10:02 AM | #8
Tionese/Recruite is fine for a tank for LI as long as he knows what he's doing (Though that first mini boss can be way more frantic than it should be). I'm more sick of getting DPS in recruit gear, and constantly hitting enrage timers. I makes me want to pull out my hair. =___=

Haven't had the misfortune of getting a tank in cunning gear yet though it's probably coming. There will always be bad players, and I'm guessing that this current influx will settle down a bit once people get some more experience. Personally I'm kind of enjoying the challenge HMs have become. :P

happysister
12.08.2012 , 04:22 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Fiamma_Verde View Post
Tionese/Recruite is fine for a tank for LI as long as he knows what he's doing (Though that first mini boss can be way more frantic than it should be).
not if the rest of the group out gears them. our Tionese tank could not keep agro off the sent in Black Hole gear, even when the latter was guarded. when the sent backed off on DPS, we hit the enraged timer because we weren't killing the boss fast enough.

Fiamma_Verde
12.08.2012 , 08:46 PM | #10
This is true. Group make up will have a lot to do with it, but a recruit tank isn't necessarily a death sentence.