Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

guardian good dps?

11.30.2012 , 04:32 PM | #1
hi! i am new to this game and want to know if guardian can be a good dps for end-game raid or i must levl a sentinel? and in pvp? i hear that sentinels are the "best " .....thank you!

11.30.2012 , 05:52 PM | #2
Having played both a dps Guardian and Jugg heres what I would tell you.

In PvP, Guardians have the Focus spec which at the moment seems to be one of the FotM, so its certainly viable. I would not be surprised if Focus ended up getting something of a nerf with all the qq about it right now. Personally I think its fine.

In PvE end game raiding....the Guardian is capable (I play Vigiliance). The Guardian will do good dps, but it won't have the Sentinel's raw damage potential and party friendly utility powers which is why most raid groups prefer a Sentinel if taking a mdps. I'm in my guild's progression group and how well I do often seems to be a case of the fight's mechanics. If theres not a ton of movement/chasing involved I do well. If there's a ton of movement required in the fight you're not going to do as well as your capable of because your biggest hit requires you to stay planted for 3 seconds and you need to move back into melee range to continue to keep up the pressure. So its either chase or move back for leap distance. Up time is a real issue for melee classes that Guardian's have to face, and imo they lack some of the tools the other mdps get to make up for it.

So for TL;DR - Guardian dps is perfectly viable but challenging. It will probably require more from you than some other specs.

12.02.2012 , 01:33 PM | #3
If you want a mdps roll a sent and never look back. My guild, even when i parse near a sent in a raid, will never consider me anywhere near a sentinel. Its the lack of party buffs mostly. If we only had party heal instead of watchmen sentinels... maybe wed be needed somehow.. Think im gonna switch back to tanking

12.05.2012 , 07:56 PM | #4
Vigilance/Vengeance is the most fun for me out of the knight DPS trees, imo. (Coming from a guy who has played a sentinel since we didn't have Centering or all this Zen fluff), our DPS is pretty close and the only thing that pushes sentinels above is Inspiration. With the group I raided with we usually had 1 sentinel, 1 guardian DPS or sometimes two sentinels and the guardian would tank in place of our maintank. They cleared all content except NiM EC since the guild died. (I never got to clear HM TfB on my sentinel because of this.)

In PvP it's down to utility (I still prefer Vengeance/Vigilance or Immortal/Defense hybrid.) Carnage/Combat for Sentinel's is good for the burst, roots, Inspiration, and boosted Predation/Transcendence. Guardian DPS & the hybrid build has Force Push, taunts, huttball superstars because of Unremitting.

In the end, it's down to playstyle and what is the most fun for you. Both advanced classes are viable in endgame content, and contribute to the group in their own way.
Artist formerly known as Agyo.

12.06.2012 , 10:57 AM | #5
I'm also new. What does the "m" in mDPS stand for, please?

12.06.2012 , 11:09 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ulfrik_Wulfgar View Post
I'm also new. What does the "m" in mDPS stand for, please?
melee ( standing within 0-5 game meters )
Keiga - Guardian
Licani - Sentinel
Millianna - Vanguard

12.06.2012 , 11:11 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by BattleGracefully View Post
melee ( standing within 0-5 game meters )
Ah, thank you.