Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The obsolete class!

thededman
12.03.2012 , 07:28 PM | #41
Gyronamics:

What are you on about man.

Ranged attacks are clearly ones which you use at a distance.

Throwing yourself at someone while screaming and waving a lightsaber is not a ranged attack.

Sorry to bump an old post but that visual just made me lmao.

Aital
12.04.2012 , 04:46 PM | #42
I think I can simplify the OP. He's saying that sages are obsolete!

Definition:

Obsolete: in this case it means that it's design now consists of only reasons left over by other classes. It's reason for having so and so are becuase the wait of the other class design. The only other option force it to be so. Like clay it has been smooshed. Instead of having a unique design holding its form and being held into account to low of a proportion to other aspects of other class designs or more realistically nerfs and other changes to other classes. AKA, again, the game has developed as such that a definition of a sage is no longer definite and is not being held to maintain a design and it solely or almost solely is because of consideration of other classes. AKA it's lost its defining points and has been beaten up like a sack of meat before game day!

QuiQuaeQuod
12.06.2012 , 11:44 AM | #43
Shadow Tank? Obsolete?

If Jedi Knights are considered OP to be both melee and 'ranged', then Shadow Tanks surely have to be God of melee+range

g_land
12.06.2012 , 03:47 PM | #44
This sounds as if the OP is playing PVP and hasn't necessarily played every AC in the game. The impression I am getting is that you prefer a certain style of play (up close and personal) and that Sage/Sorc just doesn't do it for you; alternatively, you have no idea how to kite enemies. If you are getting interrupted in PVP move to a point where it won't happen, do not "face tank" as a ranged class. Stay at range. One of the most prevalent and annoying classes in PVP now is the Sage/Sorc healing trance and exploding bubble hybrid.

Ranged classes are squishy because they are not supposed to be taking damage. Each AC has methods to mitigate some damage, but if you are a ranged class you still will not be able to sit there and take it. By the way, ranged means that the majority of your attacks are 10-30 meter attacks. Every ranged class has a knockback to give themselves some space to stay at range. If you are not using a class correctly you will of course have issues with it. Guardians/Juggs, Vanguards/Powertechs, Shadows/Assassins, and Sentinels/Marauders are not ranged; everything they do aside from openers and maybe one other attack are melee distance or under 10 meters. Sage/Sorc, Commando/Merceneary, and Gunslinger/Sniper are all more comfortable at ranged; their skill trees are set to prevent enemies from reaching melee range. The only exception to the rule in SWTOR is the Scoundrel/Operative, they can heal, play at range with the area tree that is common to them and Gunslingers/Snipers, or fight from stealth in melee range; even then they are bad at taking damage unless the player really knows how to use their cooldowns or specs into a hybrid that uses emergency med pac.

stephenalandavie
12.07.2012 , 10:20 PM | #45
One simple Statement, shadows are number 1, 1 v 1 class in the game. end of story

LuciferinDNA
12.09.2012 , 12:43 PM | #46
From where the heck this thread of my jumped out ?? : p
I made it like a lobby for consular (my favorite class) I wanted to generate a fierce debate what could lead a bunch of qq, useful ideas, suggestions... in the side of consulars like a reaction vs the intrigue posts on my point of view that "the class is obsolete" : p

I wanted this from the reason, that I was 100% sure that free to play / 1.5 will bring new lvl cap, so it seems a good lobby for the class's new skills. But it didn't worked out and there was no new lvl cap, more then this, it seems the devs are satisfied with the class balance how it looks like for now(I am disappointed), I don't see intention to change from there side, so the thread it self is obsolete : D

haksilence
12.09.2012 , 02:06 PM | #47
im not sure what your getting at on this post on account that i only skimmed, but it sounds alot liek your making the assummption that consulars are subpar in both diciplines (shadow and sage).

id like to point out that this couldnt be farther from the truth.

sages are arguably the best healers in the game, tue mobility is an issue but can be easily managed by a skilled player.
as well almost all current content requires little or no mobility at all.

shadow have the HIGHEST potential mitigation, and are arguably one of the most survivable (self heals), light armour is just a classification when it comes to shadows wince we recieve a 115% boost to armour in tank spec. as well your arguement on them not having ranged capabilities, shadows have the capability of a decently high damage attack at 30M (force potency+TK throw) besides the point your arguement is invalid because ranged tanking is a nonexistant thing in SWTOR. all engame content is tanked in melle range and even for vanguard tanks most of their threat and damage capabilities are limmited to <15M.

as well i saw several coments directed to hybridization. hybridization is completely impractical in TOR unless if you are hybid sage (balance and TK trees, which has the highest damage capabilities) hybrid DPS/heals or DPS/tank specs are completely impractical and useless in all endgame PVE content (there is some viability in PVP in which case the best spec for a shadow in PvP is a hybrid balance and defence trees)

i hope i was able to clear a few things up for you.
so if anything id say the consular is anything but obsolete,

Birtram
12.11.2012 , 02:43 AM | #48
Anyone who thinks a TK DPS Sage can't be a great DPS on PvE either doesn't have one or needs to learn how to play the class properly. Period.
The best sword is the one which is never drawn out of its sheath.

LegendaryBlade
12.11.2012 , 03:19 AM | #49
Redmage from FFXI here.

You amateurs have a long way to go before you know how it feels to be truely, truely obsolete.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

myolinyr
12.11.2012 , 10:00 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Nursejenna View Post
Did this post really happen? ...or did I just have a stroke...
2 months later and I'm still not sure I'm not hallucinating.