Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando and Powertech, or Mercenary and Vangard?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Commando and Powertech, or Mercenary and Vangard?

iDraxter
12.01.2012 , 12:10 PM | #41
I d pick merc/vanguard, the missiles are better to watch the only animation from troopers that I like over bounty hunters is the cryo grenade over electro dart
Firebat: Need a light?
It`s your money-but if I have spent as much time killing Jedi instead of your own kind...you might be winning this war

generalarchie
12.04.2012 , 02:24 AM | #42
i would choose commando because i am playing as a commando class now trooper i am planning to play bounty hunter who do u think i should choose as a advance class

generalarchie
12.04.2012 , 02:25 AM | #43
powertech and commando i think i would choose pwertech when i start my bounty hunter i havent started it yet

MitchPB
12.04.2012 , 02:32 AM | #44
I still think it would be cool to have a AC trial. You go into an instance and have like half an hour on each AC then chose what you want.
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists> | <BOG> | <Concept>
Elite Warlord | from Beyond | the Eternal Warrior | Gate Crasher

MikeFL
05.26.2014 , 09:53 AM | #45
I have found myself in a very similar situation and was hoping to reopen the discussion on this. A while ago I made a BH Powertech to be my Empire-side tank. I love the Powertech's animations and everything about it, but the BH storyline kinda bored me and I shelved it for a rainy day, anticipating that I would return to it after getting my Agent to 50.

I recently made a Commando, figuring on going with the opposite AC on Republic side, got to around level 18 and deleted it....I couldn't stand the ridiculous assault cannons. They look absolutely impossible strapped to a character's back, they blocked out my character in most cutscenes, and when running/traveling around, I can barely even see my character behind the big stupid thing. The massive higher-level cannons don't inspire much confidence in the class's longevity either.

After deleting the commando, I made a Vanguard. I like the Vanguard's assault rifle so much more than the cannon, and it just feels more like a Trooper to me. Here's where my dilemma comes in...I already have a Powertech, and I don't like to repeat ACs. This would be a non-issue but the Bounty Hunter has the better animations BY FAR. Regardless of AC, the BH animations blow the Trooper's out of the water. I would delete my PT in favor of a Merc, (dual weilding pistols makes more sense to me than a cannon) but I am extremely hesitant to give up the much better animations that the PT has like rocket punch, flame sweep, flame burst, the rocket leap and the wrist-mounted blade. The Vanguard's equivalent of these moves are very bland-looking by comparison and don't have the same "wow" factor. Although the Merc has excellent looking abilities, and still has the almighty death from above, (and tbh, I still prefer the merc animations over the commando) I'm extremely hesitant to delete my powertech.

Ultimately I am caught in a limbo: I favor the Vanguard over the Commando because the rifle looks better to me, the Vanguard looks more like a "clone trooper" than commando, which is a huge part of the appeal, and thus far I like the Trooper's story more than the BH. On the flip side, the Vanguard's animations are already becoming bland to me and some of the abilities make more sense coming from a Commando's cannon than a rifle, but I absolutely loathe the cannons. If I play Commado/Merc, I would likely DPS while questing bust respec heals for flashpoints and endgame content.

So I submit to you my fair SWTOR bretheren...should I delete my Powertech and replace it with a Mercenary, so as to keep the Vanguard? Or keep the Powertech, struggle through Commando using the cannons, but switching to assault rifle when I respec as healer, so as to keep some of the desirable rifle animations?

Sorry for the long post but I greatly appreciate the input!
Praxys - 50 Sorcerer Nylost - 50 Sniper Sythion - 32 Marauder Rexxel - 25 Mercenary
Kilaeon - 32 Guardian Fordan - 25 Vanguard

DomiSotto
05.26.2014 , 12:57 PM | #46
I have the most silly reasoning.

I loved the look of the assault cannon in the movies, it's about the only thing that is special on the Trooper, so I picked the Commando. With BT3, she looks great so far. I left Rifle is for the Imp Agent and Scoundrel.

I wanted Powertech because it sounded like Bao-Dur. Then I found the Pyrotech spec, and that sealed the deal. Love the animations!

cs_zoltan
05.26.2014 , 01:00 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
So I submit to you my fair SWTOR bretheren...should I delete my Powertech and replace it with a Mercenary, so as to keep the Vanguard? Or keep the Powertech, struggle through Commando using the cannons, but switching to assault rifle when I respec as healer, so as to keep some of the desirable rifle animations?

Sorry for the long post but I greatly appreciate the input!
Vanguard has the worst animations in the whole game hands down, no competition. So I'd say Commando and Powertech.
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kja, Kejann, Snsa, Kyr, Lama Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin

TACeMossie
05.27.2014 , 11:45 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
Vanguard has the worst animations in the whole game hands down, no competition. So I'd say Commando and Powertech.
But I like my Vanguard animations...
Then again, my favourite weapon in the SW universe is the Arc Caster (Try block a huge barrage of lightning with a puny lightsaber Mr Jedi) so that probably influenced my decision.

LandisKan
06.02.2014 , 02:41 AM | #49
Personally I would do anything to avoid using the BFG.
I went with Mercenary and Vanguard. Mercenary is amazing and was my first level 50 character. My Vanguard is stuck somewhere in his 30s, i forget exactly. I'd probably enjoy the Commando more... but... BFG. No thanks.

If there was more choice in weaponry then i'd be a lot less restricted in what classes i'd play.
I TCP/IP but mostly IP.

ThatGnome
06.02.2014 , 05:51 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by LandisKan View Post
Personally I would do anything to avoid using the BFG.
I went with Mercenary and Vanguard. Mercenary is amazing and was my first level 50 character. My Vanguard is stuck somewhere in his 30s, i forget exactly. I'd probably enjoy the Commando more... but... BFG. No thanks.

If there was more choice in weaponry then i'd be a lot less restricted in what classes i'd play.
You can play a Commando with a Rifle, if you really want to. There's not a huge difference in effectiveness. Though I have to see my Commando with body size 3 looks fine with her Assault Cannon.