Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sab/DF Hybrid vs Sab for PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler > Gunslinger
Sab/DF Hybrid vs Sab for PvP

AngelFluttershy
11.29.2012 , 02:19 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Umbradomina View Post
Just my 2˘... I have played a Sabo-spec almost since launch, and have a blast playing it. MM is too turret-like, and I found DF a bit boring. Being an objective-oriented player, Sabo suited my play style just fine. Granted, I don't burn down healers, but I make them run like hell. If they're running, they're not healing. I'm almost always in the top 2-3 in damage/kills/medals, and almost always wind up with at least 1 mvp vote (for what that's worth), win or lose.

Respecs are free now, so give Sabo a shot.. it'll be fun!
This is almost my thoughts exactly. In my opinion, I find it easier to kill healers in Sab than SS just for the fact that I have more slows and stuns. A huge issue I had with SS was that people constantly LOS'd me in most cases, they can't do that so easily when slowed and trapped in a inferno! Plus, some of the Op healers forget to run out of my fire before combat stealthing and my damage reveals them, whoops!

NoTomorrow
12.02.2012 , 06:17 AM | #12
Full SS or full Sab is the only viable way to play pvp. Everything else is a joke. Full DF is the support dps spec for a support dps class. You will be unable to carry your team, but will break mezzes and roots. Your reaction time on huttball is complete crap.

Those who promote hybrids, should go back to their asassin/shadow main.

Whatever you do, i can do better with full SS or full Sab except for tank hunting of course.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Lightning_
12.02.2012 , 03:30 PM | #13
I disagree that DF is not viable. GS role in PvP is applying pressure on distant targets to whom it's hard to get into melee range (usually healers), or just applying overall pressure to the enemy team from afar. SS is good for that purpose, but DF can do one thing better - moving around. No healer will just stay casting out in the open (esp. Scoundrel). As DF it's much easier to follow the healer all the time while still dealing damage, and apply burst when you catch your target rooted/CCed.

As for breaking mezzes - well, you gotta know what you're doing. Over 50% of DPS classes specs have a DoT in their rotation, so discarding them because of that and saying that they'll berak mezzes - that's not correct.

In some cases I would prefer SS for the upfront coordinated burst, but in the balanced teams there are other classes to fulfill that role (Assault VGs, Smashers).

NoTomorrow
12.02.2012 , 07:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightning_ View Post
I disagree that DF is not viable. GS role in PvP is applying pressure on distant targets to whom it's hard to get into melee range (usually healers), or just applying overall pressure to the enemy team from afar. SS is good for that purpose, but DF can do one thing better - moving around. No healer will just stay casting out in the open (esp. Scoundrel). As DF it's much easier to follow the healer all the time while still dealing damage, and apply burst when you catch your target rooted/CCed.

As for breaking mezzes - well, you gotta know what you're doing. Over 50% of DPS classes specs have a DoT in their rotation, so discarding them because of that and saying that they'll berak mezzes - that's not correct.

In some cases I would prefer SS for the upfront coordinated burst, but in the balanced teams there are other classes to fulfill that role (Assault VGs, Smashers).
Pressure on healers? MM is a pressure tool because it threatens any moment to overwhelm with its burst. Healers are not afraid of DF. 2 out of 3 classes can cleanse the dots into their weaker form. Ask any healer what he is afais of more and he will tell you: marksmanship.

As for following healer behind a corner, no way... This is never a snipers job. A sniper out of over is a free kill for anything with a leap or pull. If you are going into enemy territory to ge that elusive heler armed with only 2 dots, you subject yourself to high risks.

Let the melee, pt and concelment ops follow healers behind corners. Your job as a sniper is to make sure that once he appears in your sight he risks getting killed. Its a turret class, and thus its best at area denial.

Dont get me wrong, the spec is good at what it is supposed to be, a tank killer, a damage machine, but its such a specialized role that you will often feel lacking something, either burst, or control, or help from team mates.
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

CrixusBoR
12.03.2012 , 03:00 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
Full SS or full Sab is the only viable way to play pvp. Everything else is a joke.
I would agree with this for top level play i.e. Ranked. Long burst set-up, and dots interrupting CC are two massive deal breakers.

For normal Warzones though you can play DF and DF/SAB hybrid and have a lot of fun. With skillful energy management you can put up some nice damage totals and enjoy setting people up for huge burst kills.

I would like to note that DF isn't super amazing at killing tanks. Try killing a Jugg/ Guard 1v1 spec'd properly. They don't drop very quick. I would go as far as to say DF doesn't 'feel' as effective as it used to be a few patches a go.. but i have no explanation for that so it could just be me.

NoTomorrow
12.03.2012 , 03:04 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by CrixusBoR View Post
I would agree with this for top level play i.e. Ranked. Long burst set-up, and dots interrupting CC are two massive deal breakers.

For normal Warzones though you can play DF and DF/SAB hybrid and have a lot of fun. With skillful energy management you can put up some nice damage totals and enjoy setting people up for huge burst kills.

I would like to note that DF isn't super amazing at killing tanks. Try killing a Jugg/ Guard 1v1 spec'd properly. They don't drop very quick. I would go as far as to say DF doesn't 'feel' as effective as it used to be a few patches a go.. but i have no explanation for that so it could just be me.
If you draw the attention of PT, and maras, you will have quite some trouble if you are DF. If you can have a buddy that will keep an eye on you, a tank, a healer or just a sentinel that will draw the attention to himself, then yes DF will pay off. Otherwise, SS or Sab is a safer bet.

Jenzali
12.04.2012 , 03:45 AM | #17
If you draw the attention of PT, and maras, you will have quite some trouble if you are DF. If you can have a buddy that will keep an eye on you, a tank, a healer or just a sentinel that will draw the attention to himself, then yes DF will pay off. Otherwise, SS or Sab is a safer bet.
What are your thoughts on the MM/Sab hybrid?
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Lithy
12.04.2012 , 04:13 AM | #18
I completely disagree with the Marauder comment, PT as a Lethality/DF? Fair enough. Lethality/DF is the squishiest in terms of raw mitigation from talents. Except for ambush/aimedshot knockback you don't lose any of the counter abilties you have and gain a slow off Corrosive/Shrap Bomb. Kiting is just as easy long as you stay within 10m, root them before you reset position, or change targets and roll to distant cover to create a huge gap while not allowing them to leap to you.

Any 'slinger/sniper spec should tear through Marauders when played well, some more difficult than others.

ON THE MAIN TOPIC:
Full sab offers AMAZING utility, CC, and general objective protection with fairly good on demand burst with a proper rotation. It is imo, one of the best point defenders in the capture objective gameplay and is what I recommend if you want to focus on things other than straight out killing.
Hybrid offers more damage.
Lithium
Imperial Sniper

The Hartshotte Legacy
Tallianna, Gunslinger

NoTomorrow
12.04.2012 , 04:06 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Lithy View Post
I completely disagree with the Marauder comment, PT as a Lethality/DF? Fair enough. Lethality/DF is the squishiest in terms of raw mitigation from talents. Except for ambush/aimedshot knockback you don't lose any of the counter abilties you have and gain a slow off Corrosive/Shrap Bomb. Kiting is just as easy long as you stay within 10m, root them before you reset position, or change targets and roll to distant cover to create a huge gap while not allowing them to leap to you.

Any 'slinger/sniper spec should tear through Marauders when played well, some more difficult than others.

ON THE MAIN TOPIC:
Full sab offers AMAZING utility, CC, and general objective protection with fairly good on demand burst with a proper rotation. It is imo, one of the best point defenders in the capture objective gameplay and is what I recommend if you want to focus on things other than straight out killing.
Hybrid offers more damage.
Perhaps i was exaggerating, i meant its much easier to dominate maras with MM or Sab. They do die with lethality too, Any sort of zerg 2 vs you alone will kill you much faster when you are DF. PT and Maras are excelent on ganking you.