Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

morfius
11.27.2012 , 09:48 AM | #21
Do you start game from "Metro" or from classic desktop?
I had some issues with older software (custom one) started from "Metro" start menu on my test station...
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Jacen_Starsolo
11.27.2012 , 10:17 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by morfius View Post
Do you start game from "Metro" or from classic desktop?
I had some issues with older software (custom one) started from "Metro" start menu on my test station...
I've done both with no problems. Although I need to run it from the desktop because of having 2 monitors and TOR unlike other games does not lock the mouse to the monitor it's on. So I have to use a cursor lock program that made a special start icon for TOR on the desktop. But running from the Metro didn't have a problem outside of the cursor not being locked.

BW, this is the end of 2012. Join us from the 90's when people only had 1 monitor on their computers.

morfius
11.27.2012 , 10:22 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
I've done both with no problems. Although I need to run it from the desktop because of having 2 monitors and TOR unlike other games does not lock the mouse to the monitor it's on. So I have to use a cursor lock program that made a special start icon for TOR on the desktop. But running from the Metro didn't have a problem outside of the cursor not being locked.

BW, this is the end of 2012. Join us from the 90's when people only had 1 monitor on their computers.
Did you done other tweaking on SWTOR or Windows 8?
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Jacen_Starsolo
11.27.2012 , 10:29 AM | #24
None outside of the cursor lock program. Out of habit I've ran the normal icon too. Only issue I had with that one was cursor going to monitor 2 then a click there minimizes the game. When in combat, not pleasant to say the least to wait on the spinning wheel to find myself dead.

Right now I am seeing how far I can OC my CPU. Last night I played for like 7 hours nonstop doing things then finishing up the HK51 arc on my IMP character to see if it was different then the REP side. So ran the ship mission (THEO), the gathering missions, the 2 FPs then it was time for maintenance so logged out.

As a matter of fact, yesterday I installed TOR on my laptop with 8. I first installed the CE disks to save download time then patched up. Went right in and played.

Jacen_Starsolo
11.29.2012 , 10:29 AM | #25

I had my Win8 die a couple of days ago. Nothing to blame Win8 on totally. I was going crazy with my overclocking to test the limits since heat was no problem. Apparently my memory isn't able to overclock as much as my heatsink would let me. Anyhow something got corrupted in my Windows 8 because of my being crazy.

But I had to reinstall most of my games including TOR. Games installed on another drive didn't require the reinstall after doing the refresh (new feature of 8 although I now prefer the old repair install option after this). Anyhow once again, no problems and only tweak I had to do again was the cursor lock program because of the dual monitor. And do not use the default graphics driver from MS. Get the driver from nVidia (or AMD or Intel or whoever you use). Same with sound driver.

Posting this to show once again an install without problems. (other than a patch issue a few people posted about in another thread that had nothing to do with Windows 8 or new installs)

nevlik
12.18.2012 , 10:37 PM | #26
I'm having the same problems with Win 8 Pro x64. As before, if I set everything to Very Low, I get no FPS issues.

After some noodling with game settings, setting the general settings to High (as they had been) and Shader Complexity to Very Low, I have no FPS issues. Of course, lighting is terrible.

Forum searches show Shader Complexity problems as fairly frequent, so hopefully this can be added as a top priority for Q1.

Sparfir
12.30.2012 , 05:12 PM | #27
I got a new computer with Windows 8 and the game keeps crashing. Screen freezes and I can't even close with Task manager. Have to restart computer each time. It's becoming a real pain.

JayuBothia
01.03.2013 , 09:36 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparfir View Post
I got a new computer with Windows 8 and the game keeps crashing. Screen freezes and I can't even close with Task manager. Have to restart computer each time. It's becoming a real pain.
Same here

LunarSkyy
01.08.2013 , 09:36 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by JayuBothia View Post
Same here
Same.

Crayghe
01.09.2013 , 09:46 PM | #30
Upgraded to Windows 8 two days ago... And now have horrible lag in the game.

Currently fiddling to see if I can trip over a solution.
I'll have champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends...