Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

Striges
11.25.2012 , 03:14 PM | #341
Eek! Dr Godera and charity together? The universe is ending. Vector is so sad and pathetic here. I want to give him a hug. His obsession with insects and the sound of the floor buffer was very in-character given what's happened. And yay for a bully getting what he deserves.

Double yay for Quinn being smart for a change and not stupidly loyal.

bright_ephemera
11.25.2012 , 05:04 PM | #342
kabe, poor Vector...reintegration therapy indeed. I...truly wonder what Godera would find to do with him.

I'm struggling to name the whole "Wynston didn't play safe and cautious after his class line" thing. The thought of it is straight out of a passage from a favorite book, but it isn't a passage with any specific useful phrases. Well, I'll leave that aside for now and offer two mathematical notions.

Do the Math: Associativity. The "Wynston didn't play it cautious post-Kaliyo" continuation. 800 words, one implicit SW spoiler, no specific Agent spoilers.

The associative property states that (a+b)+c = a+(b+c). Among three people or groups of people, combining a and b first, then introducing c, should have the same result as combining b and c first, then introducing a. Or it would, anyway, if the operation of meeting people has the associative property.

Spoiler

Do the Math: Intransitivity. The "Wynston didn't play it cautious post-Kaliyo" continuation. 1000 words, nonspecific and mostly made-up Agent hints, indirect SW Act 3 spoiler.

The transitive property states that if a=b, and b=c, then a=c. Set in terms of trust: if a trusts b, and b trusts c, the transitive property would imply that a trusts c.

Trust does not have the transitive property.

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

kabeone
11.26.2012 , 01:48 AM | #343
@bright I love the math prompts, translating those properties to something like trust is a very neat concept.

Late prompt for Restraint I realized after the fact that the presence of Watcher X it might have fit the math prompt as well.

Remi AU: Knightless - Virtues Restraint (or Math Prompt Ohm's Law I = V/R )
IA Chapter 2 spoilers kind of.

Spoiler

bright_ephemera
11.26.2012 , 07:18 AM | #344
Oh, Watcher X. You really would like that opportunity, wouldn't you? Hmm, and a single Jedi is out there, but she's lacking some qualifications for future actions...

This prompt has unleashed a monster within me. Conceptualizing the world in these terms is my entire career.

So, Do the Math: Local Minimum.

The local minimum of a function occurs when it bottoms out someplace; it's higher right before and it's higher right after. However, the derivative (rate of change) at precisely that point is always zero: for one moment in time it looks like nothing is changing at all.

This is an alternate telling…and alternate supporting cast, obviously, with Wynston's presence…of a scene directly out of RMC. 1100 words, spoiler for a Sith Warrior quest on Corellia.

Spoiler

Do the Math: Hysteresis.

Hysteresis describes the dependency of a system on, not only what's going on now, but what has happened in the past. Some systems can be fully described, and their next step predicted, by the snapshot of their status and their inputs right this moment. Others can't be entirely predicted unless you also know something about its state before this moment.

1100 words, Warrior Act 3 spoilers.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

bright_ephemera
11.26.2012 , 07:55 AM | #345
Double post. I think I'll call this AU Lodestone. It's predicated on one moment of Wynston going where he's drawn without regard for the charts.
Bright's Fanfic Threads

iamthehoyden
11.26.2012 , 02:42 PM | #346
Kabe
Poor Vector How on earth did he end up there?

Also, I love how Coremi puts Scourge just slightly off his stride. The amount of trust she's putting in him is...whew.

Bright
Quote:
"...That surface area would do the trick. Scar up the rest all you like, just don't ever lose that."
Words. For this. I...mmmph..

Wynston and Pierce's truce is interesting. I could see them working together well.
Wynston's confrontation of Ruth and what she's become, though... <3 Both in the fact that no one else would have done it and how he went about it - completely point blank, but not harsh. If he'd cared a little less it would have been cold, and yet it wasn't. Good stuff.

I think the thing I'm wondering about is how this one change will affect the Ruth storyline going forward. Does this Lodestone (I like the name btw) story wrap back around and change practically nothing in the end, or push everything in a different direction? Then, again, I've always been fascinated by the butterfly effect. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

iamthehoyden
11.26.2012 , 09:36 PM | #347
Home Ec (All these math concepts are reminding me how not fun math is for me, lol. Give me science and history for 1000 please )

Snack Run
Ukaita and Scourge
jk spoilers (and some early Act 3 IA spoilers)
Background:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Author's Note:
Spoiler
---------------

Striges
11.26.2012 , 10:38 PM | #348
@ Bright: So many maths! Looking at relationships in terms of mathematical properties is really interesting. I enjoyed all four of your "basic properties" pieces, both as stories and as illustrations of the appropriate properties with people instead of numbers. Relationships instead of functions. Where are the Gree when we need them?

@ Iamthehoyden: Ukaita is so naughty! I know I've said this before. This...this is what happens when you tell the Chosen One that they're the Chosen One. They sit on the sofa eating cookies, irritating the crap out of everyone around them until it's time to Become the Hero. Very funny.

@ Kabeone: Besides reiterating that I really really like this AU, I loved the idea of electrical resistance as a simple focusing exercise for Coremi to refine her connection with the Force. Also: you are the first person to find a benevolent use for our favorite serum. Congratulations are in order.

kabeone
11.27.2012 , 03:20 AM | #349
@iamthehoyden hahaha, Ukaita is the best <3. Errand boys with great assets FTW.

As to what happened to Vector I wrote a drabble that explains how he ended up that way here it's the Alderaan one.

@bright I was so sad at the canon scene you used for Hysteresis I had hoped Wynston's presence would bring a better outcome but it made sense that he wouldn't know what she was like now and that there would be nothing he could do to stop her. Believing that the Jedi deserved to die because they couldn't see the traitor in their midst UGH (so sad!), and I really love how Wynston refuses to treat his bruises to remind them both of what she's becoming.

@Striges Thanks! I think part of the reason I wrote this universe was to make something good out of one of the worst experiences in the game (that darn serum!).

Remi AU: Knightless
A short thing!

Home Ec
Spoiler

iamthehoyden
11.27.2012 , 05:26 PM | #350
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
As to what happened to Vector I wrote a drabble that explains how he ended up that way here it's the Alderaan one.
Oh that's right! jk spoilers
Spoiler
It's all coming back to me now

Glad you guys are enjoying Ukaita's antics. I don't think I've ever written such a bratty main character, lol.
---------------