Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why not: Deception Manifesto

DarthRaika
11.22.2012 , 12:02 PM | #21
Once geared, deception (infil for shadow) is actually pretty good pvp melee dmg dealer. The issue is though same skill/gear vguard/wars/tankasins in dps gear will be higher on the chart but your dmg is single target burst and its very good single target burst once geared. Also in runover matches or in matches where you just go for dmg you can still top the chart. Although as having all 8 classes deception should be lowest on the chart out of them.

But seriously you can drop people very fast once geared and that is what is important as a pvp dmg dealer. Not spreading around dots and aoe and stroking your epeen lol.

Also, remember that a spec like deception is very gear dependent. If you crit more often and for much larger amounts you will finish off that healer that the less geared player could not and your main function is to finish him off.

Tetsuos-despair
11.22.2012 , 04:36 PM | #22
Deception is amazing right now! I don't really understand, do people really want "god mode" where they never die and can kill everything instantly, where is the fun in that?

nosmos
11.22.2012 , 04:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tetsuos-despair View Post
Deception is amazing right now! I don't really understand, do people really want "god mode" where they never die and can kill everything instantly, where is the fun in that?
This is not a discussion about PVP. Deception shines for the first 45 seconds or so of combat, which in pvp is fine. It's PVE - sustained, and lacking basic stat talents that everyone gets but us, that is at issue for myself
55 Assassin - 55 Sorc - 55 Jug - 55 Marauder - 55 Sniper
55 Operative - 55 merc - 55 Powertech

Andar
11.22.2012 , 04:52 PM | #24
I, too, share your notions on the current state of deception. The recent changes have given us quite the PVE boost as well. For burn phases dps can get as high as 1900-2100 bottoming out at around 1550-1650 sustained depending on the encounter.

Overall the frequency of 5k-7k hits are much higher now as well. I run about 715 melée bns dmg and 1000 force with 33%crit and 78% surge.

I'll upload sone parses later when I get home.

Andar
11.22.2012 , 04:57 PM | #25
I would just like to add, nosmos, I really appreciate all your efforts for us deception/infil players! I have been playing this spec from day 1 and love it! it's because of players like you that we got a buff in the first place, so thank you...

nosmos
11.22.2012 , 05:00 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Andar View Post
I would just like to add, nosmos, I really appreciate all your efforts for us deception/infil players! I have been playing this spec from day 1 and love it! it's because of players like you that we got a buff in the first place, so thank you...
Hey np BTW I'm on Po5 and my SIN name is Parabole if anyones on there.

Right now I can have 1040 force power if I want, but that will drop my force crit to around 33 percent. When I compare the differences and slap back in some black hole crit mods, bringing my force power down to around 998 and force crit to around 37 percent - the sustained seems higher....

1040 force etc, sure..when maul or discharge or shock hit and crit, they hit big. But it's infrequent, and frankly sub-par for long encounters for the amount of force you burn through for tool-tip damage. My question is, why on earth do we have no flipping Crit talents, Accuracy talents or mainstat!!!!!!!!!

Tetsuos-despair
11.22.2012 , 05:06 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by nosmos View Post
This is not a discussion about PVP. Deception shines for the first 45 seconds or so of combat, which in pvp is fine. It's PVE - sustained, and lacking basic stat talents that everyone gets but us, that is at issue for myself
I guess I can understand if you are missing something PVE wise.

I know this is offtopic so just ignore it if you'd rather not go into it. I do not PVE so I'm curious what the issue is with it, do people go by how much damage they caused to mobs in a parse or something?

I ask because I imagine PVE to be simply a preset routine that once learned is devoid of challenge, like playing through contra on the NES. For example, once you know what a particular boss is going to do you basically do the exact same thing as last time to beat it no?

Not trying to be insulting or anything I just don't see how playing against a non thinking program can offer any challenge beyond the first couple of runs?

Sorry, not attempting to jack this thread I've just always wondered what the appeal of continually repeating PVE content is, I've heard it's for gear but that gear is just to keep doing more PVE, I'm just curious as to the repetition and what makes that fun if indeed it even is?

nosmos
11.22.2012 , 05:08 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Tetsuos-despair View Post
I guess I can understand if you are missing something PVE wise.

I know this is offtopic so just ignore it if you'd rather not go into it. I do not PVE so I'm curious what the issue is with it, do people go by how much damage they caused to mobs in a parse or something?

I ask because I imagine PVE to be simply a preset routine that once learned is devoid of challenge, like playing through contra on the NES. For example, once you know what a particular boss is going to do you basically do the exact same thing as last time to beat it no?

Not trying to be insulting or anything I just don't see how playing against a non thinking program can offer any challenge beyond the first couple of runs?

Sorry, not attempting to jack this thread I've just always wondered what the appeal of continually repeating PVE content is, I've heard it's for gear but that gear is just to keep doing more PVE, I'm just curious as to the repetition and what makes that fun if indeed it even is?

Operations are very much like the old side platform Megaman games - vs the boss, he has a pattern and you jump or duck there. I find it fun becase you do it in a 3d environment with 15 other people - and it is challenging because people really have to know their class, positioning and the like. PVP, on the other hand is a different style. I play both, and **** face in both lol.

But lets be honest, this is an MMO...PVP does not take much skill. The rotations are all around the net for people, gear stats and the like. Want a challange? Go play Rapha in some Quake duel. THAT is a game that takes skill.

ElitehunterDS
11.22.2012 , 05:13 PM | #29
Not that i think that most of those things need a change but i would like to see a fix to Exploitive Strike not proccing on surging charge crit like the Shadow get.

Bad oversight which affect both pvp and pve damage rng, a change would make it more constant.
Retiring from SWTOR August 2013

Sev'ra Level 55 Sith Assassin {Deception spec}
Tempest (Prophecy of the Five)

Tetsuos-despair
11.22.2012 , 05:30 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by nosmos View Post
Operations are very much like the old side platform Megaman games - vs the boss, he has a pattern and you jump or duck there. I find it fun becase you do it in a 3d environment with 15 other people - and it is challenging because people really have to know their class, positioning and the like. PVP, on the other hand is a different style. I play both, and **** face in both lol.

But lets be honest, this is an MMO...PVP does not take much skill. The rotations are all around the net for people, gear stats and the like. Want a challange? Go play Rapha in some Quake duel. THAT is a game that takes skill.
I'm referring to the unpredictability of playing against another human versus something that is a set series of steps every time.

Again I was not trying to offend, but almost any person can eventually get through most PVE content but those same people can not adapt to the dynamic nature of playing against other people.

But saying that being a good player in PVP is as simple as repeating a set PVE pattern is just disingenuous, if this were true most PVPers would be on equal footing and winning a PVP match would be 50/50 and the top performers would also cycle through from top to bottom.

*But we all know this is not true, PVP easily separates the bads. Think of it this way, how many people have you met that could never, ever complete some PVE content, now let's compare that number to people who will never ever be good at PVP.

If you look at this honestly there is no comparison, PVE is just a routine like brushing your teeth, I know some of you like it and that is fine, but lets not start making up wild stories about what is adaptability and what is pattern.

I was just looking for an honest insiders take on the appeal of PVE, was not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.