Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.18.2012 , 09:30 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
I don't fully understand how anyone can be a tactical genius then.... if it all comes down to opinion.

Revan used direct tactics that, while the casualty rate was high, won the war. Why is the opinion that that is a bad strategy any more valid than the opinion that it is a good one?

The Echani and Mandalorians liked his tactics, and the Jedi did not....who are we to have an opinion of which opinion is right?
A tactical genius uses their OWN tactics to gain victory. Revan ripped off the Mandalorian's tactics during the war. He did not create tactics to defeat them. In this sense, we should call Mandalore the tactical genius as it was his strategies that Revan employed.

This is what seperates Revan from Thrawn. Thrawn created tactics that brought the New Republic to its knees. Revan took Mandalorian tactics and combined them with his superior numbers and Jedi forces.
Added Chapter 34 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 09:32 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
I don't fully understand how anyone can be a tactical genius then.... if it all comes down to opinion.

Revan used direct tactics that, while the casualty rate was high, won the war. Why is the opinion that that is a bad strategy any more valid than the opinion that it is a good one?

The Echani and Mandalorians liked his tactics, and the Jedi did not....who are we to have an opinion of which opinion is right?
I'm pretty sure Revan's casulty rate wasn't high at the begining of the war. It was when he started falling that he began sacrificing big time.

But yeah... that's pretty deep. I'd rather not get into that. The fact is that you can't base an argument off of a opinion, however a opinion (depending on how credible the source is - and Canderous is very credible) can aid an argument.

Swarlesx's Avatar


Swarlesx
11.18.2012 , 09:36 PM | #43
I think that since Canderous fought in the war and experienced Revans tactics first hand I think what he says could be a good source.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 09:37 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
A tactical genius uses their OWN tactics to gain victory. Revan ripped off the Mandalorian's tactics during the war. He did not create tactics to defeat them. In this sense, we should call Mandalore the tactical genius as it was his strategies that Revan employed.

This is what seperates Revan from Thrawn. Thrawn created tactics that brought the New Republic to its knees. Revan took Mandalorian tactics and combined them with his superior numbers and Jedi forces.
Okay, your definition of a tactical genius is off. One does not need to create their own ideas to be great in this since. One can learn from the ideas of others, or simply sort good ideas from bad ones.

Think of the army generals of today. Do you think they're making up there own tactics? Not for the most part. They're relying on generations of learning. The reason why they've become generals is because they've learned well and studied hard.

Let's not compare Revan to Thrawn.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 09:37 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Swarlesx View Post
I think that since Canderous fought in the war and experienced Revans tactics first hand I think what he says could be a good source.
Exactly.

Warren-Stride's Avatar


Warren-Stride
11.18.2012 , 09:40 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
A tactical genius uses their OWN tactics to gain victory. Revan ripped off the Mandalorian's tactics during the war. He did not create tactics to defeat them. In this sense, we should call Mandalore the tactical genius as it was his strategies that Revan employed.

This is what seperates Revan from Thrawn. Thrawn created tactics that brought the New Republic to its knees. Revan took Mandalorian tactics and combined them with his superior numbers and Jedi forces.
Is using an enemy's own tactics against them not a stroke of genius?

It would be hard to beat your own strategy, for sure if the side using it against you was more powerful. The idea of "Let's do exactly what they're doing, only better," seems like a very smart thing to do. Unorthodox and unexpected. And, by definition, unbeatable.

Of course, this is only opinion, and any argument against it would be opinion as well.

BlznSmri's Avatar


BlznSmri
11.18.2012 , 09:45 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
That's not entirely true. Yes, it's just a opinion, but an opinion (especially that of a warrior) can be used in this since. No it's not canon, but it indicates that Revan was a great tactician. Notice I said "indicates".
I don't think it indicates anything. Reven just used their own (the mandalorians) tactics (aggression and sacrificial advantages) against them really well. The reason why he was so successful is because he the Republic had the larger forces and jedi help.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 09:50 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
I don't think it indicates anything. Reven just used their own (the mandalorians) tactics (aggression and sacrificial advantages) against them really well. The reason why he was so successful is because he the Republic had the larger forces and jedi help.
KOTOR disagrees with you.

Revan was largely responsible for the Republic success in that war for many reasons.

Airmo's Avatar


Airmo
11.18.2012 , 09:57 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
A tactical genius uses their OWN tactics to gain victory. Revan ripped off the Mandalorian's tactics during the war. He did not create tactics to defeat them. In this sense, we should call Mandalore the tactical genius as it was his strategies that Revan employed.

This is what seperates Revan from Thrawn. Thrawn created tactics that brought the New Republic to its knees. Revan took Mandalorian tactics and combined them with his superior numbers and Jedi forces.
What exactly did Thrawn come up with?

A tactical genius uses tactics geinus...fully. Who said it has to be that persons tactic? Stop being so nitpicky. Where does it say he ripped them off anyway? If he was using the exact same tactics you'd think the Mando's would know what to do to counter them.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."

khayyinx's Avatar


khayyinx
11.18.2012 , 09:59 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
1. A title does not make you a master. Darth Revan was the servant of the Dark Side, not the other way around. The only man who can claim mastery of the Dark Side is Darth Sidious. And Revan was made Jedi Master at the request of the people. Had it been up to the Jedi Council, they would have exiled him because of his teachings.

2. *cough* character statement *cough* Read my review of his tactics.

3. Revan could not control the Dark powers and would have fallen eventually. He could not even control himself, how could he control the corrupting powers of the Dark Side.

Just because G-Canon doesn't conform to your views doesn't make it non-canon.
1- Yeah, still he was one of the most powerfull force user of his time. Since that in his time there was jedi masters and sith masters, he was as powerfull as them. How can you say that someone is a master of something? You'll say that you know about sidious and luke because George Lucas said that they are SW super-heroes. But what about other characters? Has obi-wan mastered light side? He was a jedi master, but that's only a title too...
The thing is, he was powerfull enough to be considered a master in both sides. Just play Kotor and you'll know that.

2- Yes, it's a character statement but they have no reason to lie about that, and since they are very good warriors and know a lot about war, it's a big deal. You can't say that he's not a skillful tactician or else he wouldn't be praised like this by a clan of WARRIORS.

3- Would have fallen? Could not control himself? What the hell are youtalking about? Have you made the dark side ending? That what would happen if he fallen to the dark side, he'd use the star forge to take the whole galaxy!!