Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kaggath Series: Grievous vs Malgus

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Kaggath Series: Grievous vs Malgus

Beniboybling
11.17.2012 , 07:24 AM | #1
“No game of dejarik can be won without pawns...”

Round 1: General Grievous vs Darth Malgus

Welcome to the first edition to the ‘Kaggath vs Series’ in which I’ll be pitting the power bases of iconic Star Wars characters against each other.

For all those of you aren't aware, the Kaggath is an ancient rite of the Sith, ‘one part duel, one part large-scale dejarik-match’. The two combatants have full use of their power bases, be it armies, bases or ships in order to outwit and outmanoeuvre their opponent. The Kaggath is no simple lightsaber duel, although it can come down to one, and the arena can be anywhere, a planet, star system or the entire galaxy.

But before we begin, let’s set out some ground rules:
  • The arena: the known galaxy.
  • No outside help of any kind, the combatants cannot call upon assets that are not their own. In this case, this all excludes other prominent powers/allies of the era, e.g. Darth Serevin, Asajj Ventress.
  • No surrender, fight to the death!
  • No superweapons, e.g. the Malevolence, the Foundry.
  • Technology level is universal: blaster fire, armoring, lightsaber power etc. is all the same regardless of period, all that matters is size and quantity.
  • No outside involvement, other powers will not and cannot interrupt or affect the battle, for the purpose of argument, they are non-existent.
  • Use your imagination: obviously these powers existed in a different time frame but let’s just pretend.

So, the combatants: both General Grievous and Darth Malgus where brilliant strategists and skilled combatants. Grievous is a master escapist and Malgus a persevering juggernaut.

Malgus has command over his splinter Sith Empire and Grievous had command of the Separatist Droid Armies. In many ways they are equally matched but who will win?

P.S If you have any suggestions for future threads, post below.

Let the Kaggath begin!

Victor: Darth Malgus

Warren-Stride
11.17.2012 , 07:48 AM | #2
I'm a tad biased towards the General, but based on power base, I do think he would win.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CIS_Armed_Forces

Being Supreme Commander of the CIS military, along with the troops of its allies, makes General Grievous a force to reckon with. Based on the article above, during the clone wars the droid army outnumbered Republic soldiers 100 to 1. Malgus and his New Empire (I'm assuming) have less of a military than the countless clones that were produced. Grievous should have the advantage in numbers, to be sure.

One thing that is probably needed to be said is that the CIS navy wasn't very powerful. Not many capital ships, and they seemed to have some glaring weaknesses. So I would give Grievous the upper hand on the ground, but Malgus in space.

Obviously a large issue is WHAT makes up their two armies. Malgus has Sith, so that could prove a major threat. Obviously Jedi have been killed by the Droid Army before, but with thousands of Sith running around... it could be an issue. That being said, the diversity and technology shown by the Droid Army is full of surprises and nasty little tricks that could easily throw the Sith off-guard.

Also, although Malgus made allies with aliens and other groups, Grievous's power base consists of the entire Separatist movement.

I'm going to give it to Grevious, for his endless army that would far outnumber (and therefor out-gun) Malgus's.

Girdeux
11.17.2012 , 08:03 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
Obviously a large issue is WHAT makes up their two armies. Malgus has Sith, so that could prove a major threat. Obviously Jedi have been killed by the Droid Army before, but with thousands of Sith running around... it could be an issue. That being said, the diversity and technology shown by the Droid Army is full of surprises and nasty little tricks that could easily throw the Sith off-guard.

Also, although Malgus made allies with aliens and other groups, Grievous's power base consists of the entire Separatist movement.

I'm going to give it to Grevious, for his endless army that would far outnumber (and therefor out-gun) Malgus's.
I dont remember their being thousands of actual sith with lightsabers backing Malgus...

Aurbere
11.17.2012 , 09:18 AM | #4
Grievous would most likely win. The seperatist armies were incredibly expansive, numbering in the trillions I think, that could easily overwhelm Malgus' forces. Sure, Malgus has Sith, but we saw roughly ten percent of the Jedi sent to Geonosis survive the battle. Many of the survivors were Jedi Masters, so the Sith at Malgus' command would have to be extremely powerful.

Grievous wins the war, but Malgus could win in the Lightsaber duel. But what is the point of winning the Lightsaber duel when your armies have been wiped out by your opponents armies?
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Rayla_Felana
11.17.2012 , 09:19 AM | #5
Is it Malgus' powerbase at it's height in FE? then easily Malgus, sorry but Greivous and the CIS might have been powerful, but they wouldn't be strong enough to take everything in Malgus' arsenal.

Oh no Foundry? then Malgus' forces don't stand a chance and this topic has no point, as it's a landslide CIS victory.

Beniboybling
11.17.2012 , 09:24 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Is it Malgus' powerbase at it's height in FE? then easily Malgus, sorry but Greivous and the CIS might have been powerful, but they wouldn't be strong enough to take everything in Malgus' arsenal.
Arrrrrgghh! Star Wars jargon! What is FE?

As a response to what everyone has said, I agree that Grievous's forces greatly outnumber Malgus's, but I wouldn't dismiss Malgus entirely. Malgus's fleet is largely superior is Grievous' in terms of size, firepower etc.

Aurbere
11.17.2012 , 09:27 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Arrrrrgghh! Star Wars jargon! What is FE?

As a response to what everyone has said, I agree that Grievous's forces greatly outnumber Malgus's, but I wouldn't dismiss Malgus entirely. Malgus's fleet is largely superior is Grievous' in terms of size, firepower etc.
FE=False Emperor (Flashpoint)

And I forgot about all the little things Malgus has with him there.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Farstrider
11.17.2012 , 10:12 AM | #8
I have to say if it where just Grievous vs. Malgus mano e mano... My credits are on Malgus, Obi wan made swift work of him and I feel Malgus's offensive darkside/sith abilities would definatly give him the edge, as Grievous has no such abilities or affinity with the Force with which to defend himself.

If we take armies into account I think it'd be a close fight, and am going to go with Malgus as the victor, as I would like to think the human element would win out over a droid army and ofcourse he has Sith within his ranks, easily worth a good lot of battle droids...

MasterMe
11.17.2012 , 05:35 PM | #9
Hmmmmm....

Comparing Malgus's army to Grievous's is tuff; I'd have to really get deep to find out who would win, but I'd give a slight edge to Malgus in this since.

One-on-One? Malgus. He'd wipe the floor with Grievous. I don't usually like to say that people would win by a landslide, but I honestly think that Malgus would own Grievous. Malgus is just so beast.

Beniboybling
11.17.2012 , 05:41 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Hmmmmm....

Comparing Malgus's army to Grievous's is tuff; I'd have to really get deep to find out who would win, but I'd give a slight edge to Malgus in this since.

One-on-One? Malgus. He'd wipe the floor with Grievous. I don't usually like to say that people would win by a landslide, but I honestly think that Malgus would own Grievous. Malgus is just so beast.
I'm thinking if Malgus ever got close to Grievous then Grievous would escape. Here's a scenario: Malgus boards Grievous' flagship, but Grievous gets wind of it and escapes, activating the self destruct sequence, Malgus is pulverised!

As you can see, it doesn't have to come down a lightsaber duel, although if it did Malgus would win.