Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

November 15th isnt just F2P day but the day that changed SWG forever

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
November 15th isnt just F2P day but the day that changed SWG forever

TrakonBazzaak's Avatar


TrakonBazzaak
11.16.2012 , 03:49 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
The confirmed max of subs is 350,000 for SWG.


90% of MMOs out Today have twice that and up.
And back then the confirmed global market for mmos totaled about 3 million.


Thats a LIONS SHARE of the market compared to the paltry 300k subs bioware has today.

Those subs are still leaking btw.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

AMKSED's Avatar


AMKSED
11.16.2012 , 03:56 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
And back then the confirmed global market for mmos totaled about 3 million.


Thats a LIONS SHARE of the market compared to the paltry 300k subs bioware has today.

Those subs are still leaking btw.
Okay kid. Back then, in 2003, 3 million was NOT that number. Don't come here throwing obviously stupid numbers just because your game died. And SWTOR has nearly 500k subs. How does it feel like SWTORs record low is still more than SWGs record high?

Wisz_Rethon's Avatar


Wisz_Rethon
11.16.2012 , 05:42 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AMKSED View Post
Okay kid. Back then, in 2003, 3 million was NOT that number. Don't come here throwing obviously stupid numbers just because your game died. And SWTOR has nearly 500k subs. How does it feel like SWTORs record low is still more than SWGs record high?

SWTOR does not require 1/100th of the envolvement SWG did to be a succesful player.

Even as nerfed as it was after NOV 2005. SWG still contained more than this game.

Many players play SWTOR only because SWG is not around anymore. (and that's why LA pulled the plug on SWG too)
SWTOR: you expected .
you thought you got got .
but it's really .

Nataph's Avatar


Nataph
11.16.2012 , 07:07 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Wisz_Rethon View Post
SWTOR does not require 1/100th of the envolvement SWG did to be a succesful player.

Even as nerfed as it was after NOV 2005. SWG still contained more than this game.

Many players play SWTOR only because SWG is not around anymore. (and that's why LA pulled the plug on SWG too)
I must disagree of why I am playing SWTOR because SWG is no longer around. I too played the game on the second day of its release.. (the first day, the game was down) and i left when the Obi Wan expansion came out. The only thing SWG had that SWTOR does not have would be crafting and the player environment.
Crafting has been SWG core, no mmo, from what I have seen has been able to recreate that.
The player environment you will never get in any mmo because we now have the ability to make more characters oppose to SWG's only one character per server unless you unlocked. Before with one character in SWG, everyone knew you.
But SWG wasnt any good after OBI Wan. I have dl that game a few times after I left including its last month of gameplay and the game was horrible. No one was around. I was alone in Coronet.
and JTL, that expansion was after its release, therefore TOR can still implement that type of gameplay.

I play SWTOR because i love star wars.. but i didnt play SWG after obi wan killed the game.
The Bastion

55's Ixzaran Aar'siah Hâdassah Hada'ssah Nashata Nataph Sashasa

Vinjar's Avatar


Vinjar
11.16.2012 , 07:19 AM | #15
I love these topics. Yeah, NGE blew and, to me, ruined SWG. I played a few weeks here and a few weeks there after 2005 but the NGE classes were boring.

A previous poster talked about the Jedi as an alpha class. They were difficult to kill 1 on 1. For the last couple of months I had an awesome BH spec with Doc, TKM, Pistoleer, Fencer and some BH to get the Jedi missions. Loading up on buffs and coming up with strategies to collect bounties was a blast. I lost as many fights as I won.

I guess the thing I miss the most is the ability to change professions at will. Did it take some grinding? Yes. Was it doable? Of course. For a time before that my toon was a TKM/Politician. I spent my time kicking back and building a player city. I even had some points left over to be a muscian. Good stuff.

SWG is gone. Folks need to get over that and stop posting about it here. SWTOR is what it is. The only thing they have in common is Star Wars.

Vinjar's Avatar


Vinjar
11.16.2012 , 07:20 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataph View Post
I must disagree of why I am playing SWTOR because SWG is no longer around. I too played the game on the second day of its release.. (the first day, the game was down) and i left when the Obi Wan expansion came out. The only thing SWG had that SWTOR does not have would be crafting and the player environment.
Crafting has been SWG core, no mmo, from what I have seen has been able to recreate that.
The player environment you will never get in any mmo because we now have the ability to make more characters oppose to SWG's only one character per server unless you unlocked. Before with one character in SWG, everyone knew you.
But SWG wasnt any good after OBI Wan. I have dl that game a few times after I left including its last month of gameplay and the game was horrible. No one was around. I was alone in Coronet.
and JTL, that expansion was after its release, therefore TOR can still implement that type of gameplay.

I play SWTOR because i love star wars.. but i didnt play SWG after obi wan killed the game.
Check out the upcoming MMO 'The Repopulation" http://www.therepopulation.com/

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
11.16.2012 , 07:36 AM | #17
The Hostess news is much more devastating.
SWG was a very fun game for me, but it was time to move on.


Something to think about:

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”
Søren Kierkegaard
Beta - April 16, 2014 (Retired)
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

epicfear's Avatar


epicfear
11.16.2012 , 07:40 AM | #18
I never really cared about SWG... it simply didn't look appealing to me...

And I am kind of glad it died, so I can laugh at all the people who are mourning a game that should have died long before it finally did.
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the Star Wars EU

Moaky's Avatar


Moaky
11.16.2012 , 07:46 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
The confirmed max of subs is 350,000 for SWG.


90% of MMOs out Today have twice that and up.
Now I am one to slam on the PRECioUs as much as the next guy, but that would be incorrect. The themepark genre dominates the MMO world, but not all games keep 350k NA subs after launch.....matter of fact few do according to estimations. Before WoW, EQ was the leader at 450k. Games I know of that have been around the 350k level(or more) for 6 months or longer include EQ, EQ2, LoTRO, FF XI, TOR, and WoW. Sandboxes have EVE(and SWG if you wanna argue it took 6 months to drop below 300k.....that would be pushing it). Only talking about western subs BTW.


What was deceiving about SWG numbers is that folks ran multiple accounts due to one char per server rule. So although it sported 200 to 250k subs up until NGE, there really wasnt many unique individuals playing. Semantics when it comes to money, but true just the same......SWG wasnt very popular. EVE has this same thing, as RMT helps to prop up sub numbers in the way of PLEX.


Nowadays hearing someone carry on about SWG is either a case of needing to let go, or some type of play on "yeah I was at Woodstock". When Nov 15th hit 7 yrs ago, I was among those saying it was lame what happened to the SWG folks. Nowadays it is a case of will you shut the frack up......we heard it already.

Moaky's Avatar


Moaky
11.16.2012 , 07:59 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Wisz_Rethon View Post
SWTOR does not require 1/100th of the envolvement SWG did to be a succesful player.

Even as nerfed as it was after NOV 2005. SWG still contained more than this game.

Many players play SWTOR only because SWG is not around anymore. (and that's why LA pulled the plug on SWG too)
Is that before you write the recursive macro, or after? It takes a pretty damn boring game for it to include botting scripts.


SWG was full of fail. You decorated your houses, did some crafting, or stood in line for some buffs to fight the same PVP contests. PVE was totally lackluster, and left folks regrinding profs to match up with the flavor of the month class.

Did I mention bugs.....cause that was a nice mini game for masochists playing SWG.


SWG was a huge empty parking lot with "Ghost town waiting to happen" signs posted.