Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will it really be that crowded tomorrow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will it really be that crowded tomorrow?

Roalmo
11.14.2012 , 03:47 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
There are a two things people arent seeming to get about the model EA is going with here.

1. It will not be F2P, it will be buy to play with a freemium billing model. There is still the matter of a 15 dollar box cost that will keep most of the f2p crowd out of the game....

Don't think this is right. Think the kids can download the game for free. If I'm wrong please point the way to a post contesting this.

Codek
11.14.2012 , 03:48 PM | #22
There are a two things people arent seeming to get about the model EA is going with here.

1. It will not be F2P, it will be buy to play with a freemium billing model. There is still the matter of a 15 dollar box cost that will keep most of the f2p crowd out of the game.

2. The free model is only there to get people who already played the game to return. Remember the quote by John Riccitiello that basically said the number one reason people left was due to the subscription costs.

The bottom line here is we wont see a resurgence in the population until EA developes and releases compelling content.

As it sits, I only stay subbed so my 7 year old son can play his way through the story on his guardian.

There is NOTHING compellin g about the endgame, the pve is too easy, and teh pvp is too repetitive.

No mini games, no world pvp, no compelling space experience....

The game isnt meant to be played like an mmo, and they have said as much. They expect people to play through the class stories they are interested in, buy crap from the item shop while leveling, muck around in endgame for a while, and stop playing.

Damion Schubert

"We have not focused on making our content replayable. We have taken a lot of heroic quests -- particularly the group quests -- and made all those replayable. What we have spent the most time on since launch is beefing up the legacy system, which is designed to get you to play the other really good content. We will probably continue beefing that up because it's our best stuff."

I dont see too much excitement in Swtors future honestly.

EA has pretty much chalked this one up as a fail, let go most of the staff, and given up on marketing.

The cash shop is pretty much there to milk what little money that can be milked from us until be get bored.
Two things you seem to overlook:

1. Servers are still live and kicking

2. New content is still being released with hints of other stuff in the works (Makeb, SSSP, Ilum re-work)

I'll lose hope if either 1 is no longer valid, or 2 fades away beyond what I wish to pay for.
~Codek

Roalmo
11.14.2012 , 03:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Codek View Post

Err.. been to the APAC servers lately. Saw one APAC server double in population today.. some other guy logged on, so then there were 2 of us(well really wasn't the server, but was 1 planet.. Balmorra).

Mikro
11.14.2012 , 04:00 PM | #24
From my experience with DCUO and Aion going Free to Play you can expect anywhere between 3-5 times the number of current players on the server.
SWTOR Database
www.swtor-spy.com

Living The Old Republic

Cheezfriend
11.14.2012 , 04:03 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Err.. been to the APAC servers lately. Saw one APAC server double in population today.. some other guy logged on, so then there were 2 of us(well really wasn't the server, but was 1 planet.. Balmorra).
F2P will most likely tripple the APAC servers population!!! There will now be 30 people on fleet, 9 people on starter planets and 3 people on levelling planets!!!!

Arkerus
11.14.2012 , 04:04 PM | #26
Its going to be packed. Good luck.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

_Zhatan_
11.14.2012 , 04:06 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Kadin View Post
I expect to see a huge influx of old players that have been gone but regarding new players, not so much...
This.

Also they will go away again when notice the game is in the same state as February 2012 (maybe worse if we talk about PVP) and leave again in 15-30 days.

We will see queues? Maybe , my bet is first week 35% of returned players 10% new tryers.
will we see new long term players?... with this deluxe trial...No.
SWG----------------- 8 years played, 7 active accounts at June 2011.
SWTOR------------- 6 months played. BACK ONLY FOR PATCHS .

BW...Something is failing here, don't you think?

TrakonBazzaak
11.14.2012 , 04:08 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Codek View Post

2. New content is still being released with hints of other stuff in the works (Makeb, SSSP, Ilum re-work)

I'll lose hope if either 1 is no longer valid, or 2 fades away beyond what I wish to pay for.
No one on my friends list is EVER online anymore.

I dont think Ive logged in a single time since 1.1 where there appeared to be more than 500 people on the bastion.

I would say the game is dying. A slow trickle of players getting bored with the things I mentioned.

I dont see anything in the ftp model that will change that.

Ive been playing since closed beta, and I love the game. I used to be an ardent defender like some around the forums here. I just cannot get behind the current state of the game.

Ya they are talking about releasing new content. The TALK is what we get the most of around here.

Without fail they stretch the content releases to the last second, when we are on the verge of unsubbing.

Every time my guild gets full BIS we quit the game. What is there to addict us? There is nothing to compel us to stick around.

Weve returned everytime something new has come out, but this go round, I think most of us failed to see a reason to do so.

Dont get me wrong, I want the game to live, and succeed. I simply do not see anything on the horizon to make it any better than it currently is.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

Evensong
11.14.2012 , 04:17 PM | #29
Based on MMORG posts, I see many people who stopped to play coming back mostly to finish their class quest. So yes, I expect more players... we need more content though or at least some big nic announcement of incoming ... soon... big expansion.
This would bring the big crowd...

PS. Of course plenty haters on MMORPG still swear that they will never touch the game again
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Codek
11.14.2012 , 04:20 PM | #30
No one on my friends list is EVER online anymore.

I dont think Ive logged in a single time since 1.1 where there appeared to be more than 500 people on the bastion.

I would say the game is dying. A slow trickle of players getting bored with the things I mentioned.

I dont see anything in the ftp model that will change that.

Ive been playing since closed beta, and I love the game. I used to be an ardent defender like some around the forums here. I just cannot get behind the current state of the game.

Ya they are talking about releasing new content. The TALK is what we get the most of around here.

Without fail they stretch the content releases to the last second, when we are on the verge of unsubbing.

Every time my guild gets full BIS we quit the game. What is there to addict us? There is nothing to compel us to stick around.

Weve returned everytime something new has come out, but this go round, I think most of us failed to see a reason to do so.

Dont get me wrong, I want the game to live, and succeed. I simply do not see anything on the horizon to make it any better than it currently is.
It sounds very much like your just burning through the new content after every patch and then join the group that cries "the end is near" as population drops before the next big patch. This cycle has been around for nearly a decade now across all MMO's. It not like any of this is new or even different in any way.

Every patch simply further progresses the game, the rate at which content is released will most likely not improve going forward so try not to get your hopes up if that's what you are looking for.
~Codek