Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will it really be that crowded tomorrow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will it really be that crowded tomorrow?

Rafaman
11.14.2012 , 01:46 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by kevlarto View Post
MMO's seem to ebb and flow with content releases, there will be lots of people return for the new content even if it is for a short time, we will see the biggest effect this weekend, I think in peak time we will see some que's.. this is not just a TOR thing, happens with all mmo's on the market when they release new content, and is part of the nomad style of the mmo player base these days as the heard moves from game to game..
^This. Things will calm down in a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the "I quit again!" posts.

Andryah
11.14.2012 , 01:50 PM | #12
It's always more crowed after a patch.

HK-51 goes live... a much coveted companion for many

Freemium goes live... drawing back a lot of veterans cashing in coins for new shinies

Freemium goes live.... enabling a lot of new players to play the story lines for free

Yeah... going to be crowded.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

GalacticKegger
11.14.2012 , 01:52 PM | #13
If major patch releases like 1.3 were any indication - large crowds are quite possible. With extra instances now settled in and stable any crowd other than a WoW beater shouldn't pose any problems. But then, I don't forsee extra millions overnight. If it happens, cool. Would be a nice problem to have though a 20% increase in peak time players the first couple of weeks is more realistic. I could see published reports of over 1 million active players happening by the holidays.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Skodan
11.14.2012 , 02:21 PM | #14
i havnt seen any tv commercials at all. lotro advertised a lot on tv when it was going f2p and im sure that helped gather A LOT of players.

i dont see how swtor expects its playerbase to grow without advertising to new/casual players that they are going f2p
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

chuixupu
11.14.2012 , 02:21 PM | #15
I do feel like holding off on advertising right off the bat might not be so bad....partly because I don't know how much faith I have in Bioware to roll this patch out problem free If everything is going smoothly, then for the holidays I say go crazy promoting the game, especially if 1.6 will have some more interesting things to look forward to.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

grombrinda
11.14.2012 , 02:28 PM | #16
Yeah..I plan on blocking rmt'ers (credit sellers) for about an hour straight after I log in tomorrow...after sending in some tickets for whatever issues arrive as well.
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

ZomgAChicken
11.14.2012 , 02:33 PM | #17
Armageddon is upon us!

CosmicKat
11.14.2012 , 02:58 PM | #18
If it's anything like every other MMO out there...

There will be a rush of returning players for the anticipated patch.

There will be a rush of cheapskates for F2P.

And in 2 or 3 days... It will settle back to normal pre-patch populations.

Chub
11.14.2012 , 03:24 PM | #19
I'm thinking the exact same thing as the others on here, old players will return but I'm not really convinced that there is going to be such an increase in newcomers. In my own view I think this may be down to the bad view that people have been led to believe about the game by falling subscriber numbers etc. Although you never know Bioware may have a massive advertising campaign ready to come out tomorrow.

TrakonBazzaak
11.14.2012 , 03:40 PM | #20
There are a two things people arent seeming to get about the model EA is going with here.

1. It will not be F2P, it will be buy to play with a freemium billing model. There is still the matter of a 15 dollar box cost that will keep most of the f2p crowd out of the game.

2. The free model is only there to get people who already played the game to return. Remember the quote by John Riccitiello that basically said the number one reason people left was due to the subscription costs.

The bottom line here is we wont see a resurgence in the population until EA developes and releases compelling content.

As it sits, I only stay subbed so my 7 year old son can play his way through the story on his guardian.

There is NOTHING compellin g about the endgame, the pve is too easy, and teh pvp is too repetitive.

No mini games, no world pvp, no compelling space experience....

The game isnt meant to be played like an mmo, and they have said as much. They expect people to play through the class stories they are interested in, buy crap from the item shop while leveling, muck around in endgame for a while, and stop playing.

Damion Schubert

"We have not focused on making our content replayable. We have taken a lot of heroic quests -- particularly the group quests -- and made all those replayable. What we have spent the most time on since launch is beefing up the legacy system, which is designed to get you to play the other really good content. We will probably continue beefing that up because it's our best stuff."

I dont see too much excitement in Swtors future honestly.

EA has pretty much chalked this one up as a fail, let go most of the staff, and given up on marketing.

The cash shop is pretty much there to milk what little money that can be milked from us until be get bored.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster