Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lifetime Membership Option (IDEA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Lifetime Membership Option (IDEA)

fyfch
09.21.2012 , 06:07 PM | #11
While i admire your dedication to the game, i have been burned by Bioware/Ea for the last time and will never invest money into another one of their products again. Don't get me wrong I loved the game, but this latest fubar was the last straw for me. As my subscription is coming due i just simply can not justify the cost for something i no longer enjoy because I can't remember my character names after i am forced to change them every few months. All of my RP story lines have been destroyed. I really wish i could say best of luck and hope the game survives for a life time, but i don't i hope they go bankrupt and out of business.

"If you do not stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

annabethchase
09.23.2012 , 07:59 PM | #12
Well, LOTRO offered lifetime subs before or right at launch. Same $250 or $299 price I believe. That was certainly an offer that people jumped all over and I don't think Turbine ever recovered as much money as they would have if they hadn't offered it. However, we have no way of knowing which price plan would have worked better for them, since there are numerous variables at play.

Honestly, I think the only way a company can be sure a lifetime sub offer is good for them is when they know they are about to drastically cut back on new development for the game and just milk it for what it has left. Thus, I don't want to see a lifetime offer anytime soon
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters

tanksdomain
10.22.2012 , 03:44 PM | #13
I Personally think the idea of a Lifetime sub is a good idea. After playing Star Trek Online for the first year, I broke down and bought myself the lifetime sub plan. I am still an avid player of STO (As well as TOR here). I love both games equally. Since I became a lifetime player, I have spent more money in what they call the C-Store than I had before becoming a lifer. As it stands right now, I don't plan on spending any money in the Cartel store, mainly because I myself just can't afford to pay for both the subscription AND buy coins. That's just my opinion.

Long story short, Bioware and EA, please oh please make a lifetime sub.

and back to the op's topic starter, I believe he's got a good idea going there. I am gonna offer my 2 cents on that as well.

-No subscription fee: well, with lifetime that goes without say.
-Exclusive costume/Crystal option: I really can't come up with any costume ideas, but I think a black/white color crystal where you get a white core and black glow would be a nice unique item for lifers.
-Fourm Goodies: give us a title of grand master or something along those lines
-In-game Title: again, with the grand master idea.
-Species unlock of your choice/Free new species(or something like that.): I think instead of giving a species unlock, make it more like you create a specific species for both factions, that you can only play IF you get the lifer's...make it a species that everybody talks about on the forums. Make it (for example) a Rodian, or Togruta, or even a Mon Calamari .
-Extra stipend of cartel coins (or a free item from the shop of your choosing etc): Star trek online offers the same dilithium stipend for both regular subscribers and lifetime subbers....i feel that at least a 10% or 15% increase on the stipend should be available.

I'm not 100% sure if this is accurate, but i believe star wars galaxies had a lifetime sub offer, and that game lasted a good 8 years. Lord of the Rings online, around for 5 years, and offers a lifetime. Dungeons and Dragons Online...6 years and still going with lifetime subs.

∑ịị▔▔▔▔ị[o||||||()||Ξ[\████████████████████████████████ )

Eillack
10.22.2012 , 03:45 PM | #14
A) This thread was in the wrong section to begin with

B) It is now a necro'd thread....let it die.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Jorelle
10.22.2012 , 03:56 PM | #15
yea i really like this idea also, i too have well plan on wanting to get the life time sub for STO and hope they do the same for here.

jarjarloves
10.23.2012 , 08:14 PM | #16
Absolutely not.

Lifetime subscriptions are for MMOs that the company thinks the game won't be around for too long and they want to make some quick cash.

The fact that Star Trek Online has it should be your first clue that it's a bad decision.

Cadenn
11.14.2012 , 01:16 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroXV View Post
While i admit i do have the life time membership on STO it would be nice to see them do it here but i doubt they will they are not tring to drum up support also STO uses there store to offer alot goodies to get money flowing into there pocket books how good it works i do not know since i have what i want from the store for now namely ships. Unlike WOW or even Starwars there less way for them to make money the store will not offer anything that i know off that will make me want to pay and spend money there alot but that a wait and see thing. I would admit i would like to see them do a lifetime maybe make it a speical offer only done from time to time.
I also have a life time membership to STO, and I for one spend more then $15 a month in thee store.

Cadenn
11.14.2012 , 01:22 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Maniacraid View Post
Let me ask you something. How long of a life do you think SWTOR has? I ask not because I think it's going to get shut down any time soon, and I certainly hope it doesn't. But for a Lifetime membership, while it could spike revenue for the game for a bit, over time they'll end up loosing money.

Since you used STO as a reference, I'll use their price point. $299. Currently the subscription fee for SWTOR is $14.99, and two years worth of subscription is $359.76. So for less than two years worth of subscription, I could play for the rest of the time the game is running without spending another penny. If SWTOR is still running for 5 more years, I basically got 3 years free. Great for my wallet, but not for the game.

Now lets look at it from a more pessimistic view point. Lets say SWTOR is not going to be long lived. Maybe I wait until I get my income tax refund to buy the lifetime membership at $299, and I get that in March of 2013, but then in April we find out the game is dead, and servers will be taken down permanently by the end of June. Bioware/EA then either keeps my money and I get screwed over, of they have to issue a refund of some amount, meaning they hemorrhage money. Because lets face it, I would not be the only person in that situation.

So best case scenario, the game looses out, and worst case scenario, I loose out, or the game looses out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and hope it stays for years to come, but lifetime memberships are not something I think BW/EA would consider if they intend to keep the money rolling in. But then again... I don't work for either company, and have zero ability to predict what they will actually do.
Dude you are so wrong, I have a life time membership to STO and I spend close to $15 a month every month in there store. 2nd most people will not pay for a monthly subscription for two years, they move on to other games.

So I can Not TELL you how wrong you are. Bioware, EA and Lucasarts would make a hell of a lot of money off a Life Time Subscription.

Cadenn
11.14.2012 , 01:24 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Well, LOTRO offered lifetime subs before or right at launch. Same $250 or $299 price I believe. That was certainly an offer that people jumped all over and I don't think Turbine ever recovered as much money as they would have if they hadn't offered it. However, we have no way of knowing which price plan would have worked better for them, since there are numerous variables at play.

Honestly, I think the only way a company can be sure a lifetime sub offer is good for them is when they know they are about to drastically cut back on new development for the game and just milk it for what it has left. Thus, I don't want to see a lifetime offer anytime soon
They offer it again on LOTRO.

Eillack
11.14.2012 , 01:30 PM | #20
Double necro'd. .....
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.