Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will it really be that crowded tomorrow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will it really be that crowded tomorrow?

DPCummerbund
11.14.2012 , 01:14 PM | #1
Based on what I've seen frequently in chat and occasionally here on the forums, many people seem to think that the game will be overwhelmed with noobs and trolls tomorrow morning. I think that's overstating it by a lot.

First of all, anyone who just wants to try out a free version of the game can already do so - you've been able to play to 15 for quite some time now.

Hundreds of thousands of people were subscribers before, but have left over the last few months. Many people seem to think that the hordes left because they were unhappy with endgame content. Being F2P doesn't change that, so I don't see any reason why hordes will show up just because the game they didn't like before is now free.

Sure, lots of people may come back tomorrow, or for the weekend, just to poke around. This happens every time there's a big patch.

The ONLY reason I can see for long-term population increases is if BW's stated premise - that lots of people really enjoyed the game and want to come back, but they just didn't want to play as subscribers - is actually true.
"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the Dark Side." - Kira Carsen
"You there! I'm drafting you into the Imperial Reclamation Service's... service." - Lieutenant Whist

Kadin
11.14.2012 , 01:19 PM | #2
I expect to see a huge influx of old players that have been gone but regarding new players, not so much...
"Kadin Kohle of Bria 2003-2011 - R.I.P SWG"
═══
═══════════════

chuixupu
11.14.2012 , 01:23 PM | #3
I honestly have no idea - I'm sure the servers will be full between every subscriber logging in to see the new stuff and get their CC's, some returning people, some new people. But I hope that they would get a slow increase rather than just a bit hit right off the bat.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

CelCawdro
11.14.2012 , 01:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kadin View Post
I expect to see a huge influx of old players that have been gone but regarding new players, not so much...
Which is unfortunate. Sure, they'll get acknowledgements from the gaming media that free-to-play as launched, but they've done no marketing for it.

nartiuslightlord
11.14.2012 , 01:26 PM | #5
The weekend is when we will probably see the largest influx. the client takes some time to download. But we will see.
CE VIP

SWTOR Episode I - A New Meme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDaG7YqaV4

Andryah
11.14.2012 , 01:28 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
Which is unfortunate. Sure, they'll get acknowledgements from the gaming media that free-to-play as launched, but they've done no marketing for it.
I don't see it as unfortunate at all. The switch to freemium is to play the long game in terms of active accounts. This sort of business model works on seeing a steady streaming continuum of players entering the game, NOT everyone ganking it on day one (like when it launched ) And the three key business metrics become "active players", "average revenue per active player", and "free to subscription conversion rate" (which by the way is about 3x for a Sci Fi MMO property then an Elf Fantasy MMO, and is notably higher in some European countries then in the US). So it will be interesting to follow the business metrics over time.

A freemium model works best in fact by a steady paced lower level stream of new active players entering the game.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

amona
11.14.2012 , 01:31 PM | #7
before this weekend my server only went very heavy for a brief moment on sunday afternoon now every evening it goes full for a brief moment so there are already more players.

CelCawdro
11.14.2012 , 01:34 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I don't see it as unfortunate at all. The switch to freemium is to play the long game in terms of active accounts. This sort of business model works on seeing a steady streaming continuum of players entering the game, NOT everyone ganking it on day one (like when it launched )

A freemium model works best in fact by a steady paced lower level stream of new active players.
I usually agree with most of your posts, but you seem to defend the most illogical things, at times. Such deriding people that are displeased with the less-than-optimized SW:TOR client by stating that they need instant gratification... and should go make sandwiches as they wait. And now you're trying to say that a lack of advertising is a good thing? Hardly. LotR:O, DDO, and many other free-to-play games are constantly doing their own advertising. That is what garners the game new players. Not a silent launch and no attempt to recruit thereafter.

And to the main point of this thread, phasing the planets/zones will completely do away with any overcrowding issues, as it did at launch, should they arise.

kevlarto
11.14.2012 , 01:40 PM | #9
MMO's seem to ebb and flow with content releases, there will be lots of people return for the new content even if it is for a short time, we will see the biggest effect this weekend, I think in peak time we will see some que's.. this is not just a TOR thing, happens with all mmo's on the market when they release new content, and is part of the nomad style of the mmo player base these days as the heard moves from game to game..
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

GnatB
11.14.2012 , 01:44 PM | #10
1. I think there will be a LOT of players returning (briefly) to see the new stuff in 1.5, just like for 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4.
2. I think there will be virtually NO brand new players. Unless I'm missing something, the new F2P restrictions are WAY more severe than the previous (up to lvl 15) restriction. Anybody thinking about picking up this game for the F2P is probably already been playing for some time, and likely has 1 (or more) characters at lvl 15.
3. Due to #2, I suspect there will be quite a lot of lvl 15 players heading out to Taris/Balmorra.