Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.05.2012 , 09:49 AM | #731
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
more flashpoints, more ops, more gear tiers.
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...ame-again.html

almost NO ONE wants new flashpoints or new OPs gear grinds.
This kind of content is a money burn, nothing else

TUXs
11.05.2012 , 10:26 AM | #732
Quote: Originally Posted by WarbNull View Post
I agree. They need more hype about it. Right now it feels like they are avoiding the subject like the plague. It gives me the wrong impression, sort of like they abandoned it and are hoping for people to forget about what they said. If they mentioned some more about it right now I am sure it would keep people hyped about the game. It may even keep some from thinking about leaving and make some think about coming back. So many people want a better Free Roaming 3D Space feature that it is a given that it would help the game. It only hurts them to not comment on it.
This is my fear...they KNOW what people want. Even during beta people wanted that.The space game, as it is, was a massive disappointment (the overwhelming #1 complaint!!!) from the start!!! It's not new.

Bioware is well aware of what people think about their worthless space game...they just don't/didn't care. That's why, the more turn over they have, the better our odds are of getting something the players want. Hell, for the next 3-5 months, they only 'update' you'll see are more of the SAME type missions...nothing 'new'.

I fear the lack of 'hype' is because it's not real...and won't be. They built the game THEY wanted, not a game players wanted.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.05.2012 , 11:09 AM | #733
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I fear the lack of 'hype' is because it's not real...and won't be.
Of course itīs real, but when will they finally tell anything about it?
I hate this silence, and not asking the players for early feedback is another big mistake.
They will present the finished product with their usual "take it or leave it" attitude.

Hyde_v
11.10.2012 , 07:16 PM | #734
I'd love to see some space combat like this. It's got my support.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

MastaKorgy
11.13.2012 , 02:42 AM | #735
I want pvp space fights, and free roam space/fights. Also, I want to be able to "dock" your ship with some friendly ships and have a duel on either ship. Yes I am 100% SERIOUS, I WANT THAT!

When I sau duel, I mean duel ON the ships.
Φ█╠\\\\\\\|█|☾[||▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)⁞

SamuraBob_Fl
11.13.2012 , 04:28 AM | #736
What's up with all this thread necro lately?
...they'd never come to see me in this dive, where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughing at the hippies, who are praying they'll get out of here alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bplt6CQ3MyE

Goretzu
11.13.2012 , 05:24 AM | #737
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
Of course itīs real, but when will they finally tell anything about it?
I hate this silence, and not asking the players for early feedback is another big mistake.
They will present the finished product with their usual "take it or leave it" attitude.

There's basically two options:

1. They have something but for some seemingly inexplicable reason have decided to not tell anybody anything about it for more than 12 months now.

2. They have nothing to tell.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

-Silver-
11.13.2012 , 12:34 PM | #738
Star Citizen is looking pretty damn awesome, and is shaping up to be incredibly popular too. If SWTOR wants to attract a decent sized playerbase, then it NEEDS something unique about it beyond voice acting in quests. Fully realized space flight mechanics should be a no-brainer for the franchise.

Let smugglers run blockades! Give us access to Guild Ships that we can show off on cruises! Let me team up with dozens of fighter pilots to take down Guild Ships from the opposing faction! Create Flashpoints and Battlegrounds around space combat!

I know it's a lot of work, but you won't hit a stable couple of million + subs without something this big and unique. Star Wars without space is like Game of Thrones without female characters.

seatown
11.13.2012 , 02:51 PM | #739
I wish they'd say something, heck anything. Is Bioware Austin or Edmonton working on it? Are they still working on it? Whos in charge? The biggest gap between the devs and the community, since before launch, has been regarding this issue. I'm not saying they owe me anything and I'm not demanding they speak, just wishful that they would.

Macetheace
11.13.2012 , 04:15 PM | #740
wow, first time i've read this, and i like the idea a lot, i just posted in another forum thread, at how one of the most annoying aspect about ToR is how disconnected everything feels b/c of the many loading screens and how some sort of animation of taking off/landing should be extended to cover the load time.

it lead me to mention how i don't get the space feeling when playing this game, and that is a major part of the star wars experience that can only boost this game. I remember saying then they need to redo the entire space model and re-integrate it into the game. It can work extremely well b/c you have a fantastic game already with almost 0 space interaction save for a fun, but ultiamtely poor space combat side game.

You want to extend this to full battle, space chases, and a measure of space exploration that can be woven into everythign that is there.. For example it would be great if you could have the option of auto zipping to Voss like is available currently in game, or do it manually, in a style that i can only guess would be similar to SWG since i never played that game.

I'm just saying, maybe i really shouldn't be fantasizing about what ifs and could be in a fantasy game, more important things, and largely i'm over-indulging, but I would state though that the full space experience would be awesome, and would add quite the dimension to the game that world of warcraft can't possibly match - unless they did something similar for travelling by sea on Azeroth - but it won't be as epic as a space battle.

Space is an asset to use in a star wars game, one none of the mmo competitors have. IF you're as good as the best of them, and in some cases better than thema ll at the ground game, but are struggling to keep abreast with a monster like wow, you need to use your assets, and a properly developed space dimension could work wonders for the experience, and especially for end game long haul to the next expansion.

Imagine this, if space exploration opened up at max level? How cool that would be, it would be like doing another game experience at the max level, it would be ages before you're bored, cos you'd be handling your flashpoints, ops and warzones with the odd dailies, then have this whole new aspect to get a handle on.. and now with the new pricing policy, it could even be a subscriber only feature.. look at how that owuld boost he experince.

You could then level up your ship, exchange it for bigger models, since all the cut-scenes are done while levelling up, there is no problem of having to do more video to accomodate a new environment, players could do space exporation SWG and gain ship levels, in a progression taht should keep them occupied till the next expansion is out, it would blow every existing end game mmo out of the water... cos despite all its efforts, wow still struggles with a meaningful experience at end game to match levelling.

Whether it takes away from ground game development will entirely depend on how it is structured or designed, tbh, i would commission another company or smaller studio team to build an SWG like space experience with space battles into TOR. Then properly integrate the two in a new expansion.