Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Crystal Coloured Shields for Snipers / Gunslingers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Crystal Coloured Shields for Snipers / Gunslingers

Dirtyshadow's Avatar


Dirtyshadow
06.07.2012 , 05:39 PM | #1
Given the cover shield is a prominent part of our active appearance with us constantly crounching behind it, I would like to see the option to customise its colour... where matching it to the colour crystal of our weapon would probably be an appropriate method.

Suggestion: I would like to see the colours of the Cover Shield (aka Hold Position), not be blue (gunslinger) or red (sniper)... but be the coloured as per the colour crystal the main hand weapon. The color shield will also extend to abilities Entrenches and Shield Domes. In the case of black crystals, coloured to match the colors glow.

ie Green Crystal = Green Shield
ie Black Orange Crystal = Orange Shield
ie White Crystal = White Shield

Frog_brains's Avatar


Frog_brains
06.08.2012 , 10:53 AM | #2
This is an interesting idea and i see where you're coming from with this. i mean with gunslingers and snipers and such you don't really notice the colour of the attacks as much as you do with a lightsaber which is much more prominent. I understand that with the shield it's a much more prominent way of showing off the colour. I think instead of matching it to the weapon crystal it should have a Crystal slot in the shield that you can upgrade like a weapon and get the stats for the crystal as, well as the colour,

I know what people will be saying then that'll create an imbalance becuase now they get the bonus from 2 crystals. but i don't think that's a huge deal. you could make the generators (non shield) and the focus with the same slot. With the sentinals that already get 2 crystals maybe you have them with a synergy buff to even out the clases.

Oh and the argument that you can't change the shield colours because you won't know who you're figthing doesn't work for me either.

I support this and wouldn't mind seeing this happen

RankorSSGS's Avatar


RankorSSGS
06.08.2012 , 07:43 PM | #3
I'd love to see the same thing happen with Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors as well. It bugs me to be swinging saber color X and yet all my effects such as sweep/ inspiration/ zen are always either blue or red respectively. Just doesn't look as good.
Vesharia, Zannáh, Xeshara Retired due to broken class
Jetii'ka - Combat/Focus Bloodfrenzie - Carnage/Rage
Pot5/Bastion

Frog_brains's Avatar


Frog_brains
10.29.2012 , 08:59 AM | #4
it looks like this is coming closer to a reality now, now that, there are modifiable off hand items now. They also hinted that they will be doing something along those lines too

happysister's Avatar


happysister
10.29.2012 , 08:09 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Frog_brains View Post
This is an interesting idea and i see where you're coming from with this. i mean with gunslingers and snipers and such you don't really notice the colour of the attacks as much as you do with a lightsaber which is much more prominent. I understand that with the shield it's a much more prominent way of showing off the colour. I think instead of matching it to the weapon crystal it should have a Crystal slot in the shield that you can upgrade like a weapon and get the stats for the crystal as, well as the colour,
snipers and gunslingers don't equip shields in their offhands, so this would kinda be impossible. gunslingers have a second pistol (like sents/maras have two sabers) and snipers equip knives. their shields that pop up when they crouch are a passive class skill.
.
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic

Noobishlord's Avatar


Noobishlord
10.30.2012 , 07:25 AM | #6
That would be rather cool and a nice way to bring customization to your character. I'd like to add that it would only be for you in PvP areas, that way those of us who already have enough issues with color (like me, I wouldn't be able to tell the color of my lightsabre half the time if it didn't say what it was on the crystal,) can just go "Oh, blue, he's a Rep, oh, red, he's an Imp."

Other than that, in PvE areas or on PvE servers, by all means, be as fancy color as you want, because I would never be looking at your shield anyways, even though you kinda have no choice.
Swooping is bad... unless you are the swooper.

IronScarlet's Avatar


IronScarlet
10.30.2012 , 09:55 PM | #7
First fix cover so you can roll into more hard cover location.
Second fix look of portable shield so its not a big neon sign that says "Iam right here, pls come kill me."
Last if you allow color crystals, pls give me a clear crystal so I dont have to repeat number 2. ( like sage bubble)

Infalliable's Avatar


Infalliable
10.31.2012 , 11:50 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by IronScarlet View Post
Second fix look of portable shield so its not a big neon sign that says "Iam right here, pls come kill me."
I always find that is the biggest issue with dropping into cover in PVP (and similarly with the use of ballistic shield). It's just a big "look at me" sign that immediately draws in marauders and stealthers.

I know I use the cover shield graphics to spot opposing gunslingers/snipers to focus down.

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
10.31.2012 , 12:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Noobishlord View Post
That would be rather cool and a nice way to bring customization to your character. I'd like to add that it would only be for you in PvP areas, that way those of us who already have enough issues with color (like me, I wouldn't be able to tell the color of my lightsabre half the time if it didn't say what it was on the crystal,) can just go "Oh, blue, he's a Rep, oh, red, he's an Imp."
Firstly, I'm sorry that you have some problem with colors, but guessing by blue/red doesn't help when fighting its own faction, does it ? Having customization can help in this situation. The same goes when two snipers/gunslinger are fighting you and you want to sort them because one of them is strong and the other one is lacking something...

I don't personally consider this as a need, but if I'm given the possibilty to customize my cover shield on my Sniper, I'd go for a blue, not in order to imitate Gunslingers but because I don't imagine force fields and shields otherwise than blue (I can consider white).