Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Projectiles and flamethrowers vs Jedi

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Projectiles and flamethrowers vs Jedi

Eightus's Avatar


Eightus
10.14.2012 , 10:44 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessXIII View Post
Acutaly, using contemporary firearms could work.

1. A solid projectile can't be deflected back at you with a lightsabre. It will only be desintegrated.

2. Modern aussault rifles habe far higher muzzle velocity and rate of fire than SW blaster rifles were ever shown to have in any work.

We all know, Jedi and Sith are not invincible. Fire enogh blaster bolts at them, and their defence will be overwhelmed. With a modern assault rifle blasting projectiles with a velocity of 900m/s at 900rpm, I seriously doubt any Jedi or Sith will be able to mount an effective defence.
Fire from more than one point at once and even Luke Skywalker will be finished.
I have to disagree.

1. True a solid projectile cant be deflected back at you, but it can be blocked by the lightsaber.
2. Never underestimate a Jedi/Sith's reflexes and their ability to block using the lightsaber. Furthermore we dont actually know how fast a blaster bolt is, you said it yourself in the movies the average blaster bolt is not seen to be that fast but that was only because of the restrictions of the movie's special effects. I am not saying that a blaster bolt will have the same velocity as a modern assault rifle, but the difference between the two is not that big. And again I'm going to say that a powerful Jedi/Sith can easily block ANY incoming attack by simply using the force as a shield. As seen in the "Return" trailer when the Sith Pureblood master of Darth Malgus is able to block the missile fired at him from the Trooper, by simply shielding himself with the force.

All of this said I am not suggesting that Jedi/Sith are invincible or unbeatable, I am simply stating that having a modern assault rifle will NOT guarantee you a victory over a Force user. It might give you a slight advantage(faster bullets which wont be deflected back at you) but apart from that I really cannot see how having an AK with you means that you automatically have the upper hand versus a Force user.

FearlessXIII's Avatar


FearlessXIII
10.14.2012 , 11:05 AM | #12
I never said an assault rifle would gurantee victory.
I just said, they would work as a weapon against them.
Higher velocity and rate of fire will multiply the prblem the Jedi is facing when trying to mount a defence.
A projectile with a velocity of 900m/s will cover a distance of 30 meters in 0.033 seconds.
Thats not much time to react, even vor a force user.
And 900rpm means 15 rounds per second. So, the next bullet is only 0.07 seconds behind. With recoil jerking the muzzle around, not even reading the shooters intent will tell the Force user where the next round will be aimed at.

Open field of fire, multiple shooters and too much distance for Fore leap, and yea, guess the Jedi is finished.
But that's true even with blasters. A faster gun will only reduce the neccessary number of shooters.

If it's one on one, no-one will be able to tell how it will end, but if I am the shooter in such a situation, I guess I would prefer a good old SG550 over a blaster any day.
Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic.

- Florance Ambrose

Meepbot's Avatar


Meepbot
10.14.2012 , 11:18 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Akanov View Post
I believe he's referring to the universe in general. I've heard that weapons that fire lead were called 'kinetic weapons' and that they are considered primitive. I don't know why, but that's what I've heard. Not sure why they use that instead of blasters. Something about personal shield generators or scarce resources I don't know.
Speaking of personal shield generators (a little off-topic, i know ) I once read that the only reason a Droideka was able to use a generator like that was because they were droids, and if a human tried using one, he would be fried by the radiation. Then I play TOR, and all of a sudden, everyone and their mother had a shield generator whats up with that? is it just because that the ones carried are far weaker, so theres no fear of radiation?

Also, to stay on topic, There are bounty hunters that get famous for kiling jedi, and there are Jedi who are famous for killing Bounty hunters, so obviously their weapons can work, but it depends on whos fighting, and their relative skill with their weapons.
The Shadeslayer Legacy |The Harbinger | No Guild
Bloo, 50 Sniper | Turtlestomper, 50 Merc | Beautiful-Ocean, 50 Jug | Arran, 50 Sin
Guiotine, 50 Sent | Popojoe, 50 Sage | Ericksson, 50 Scoundrel | Phoenix, 50 VG

Eightus's Avatar


Eightus
10.14.2012 , 11:18 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessXIII View Post
I never said an assault rifle would gurantee victory.
I just said, they would work as a weapon against them.
Higher velocity and rate of fire will multiply the prblem the Jedi is facing when trying to mount a defence.
A projectile with a velocity of 900m/s will cover a distance of 30 meters in 0.033 seconds.
Thats not much time to react, even vor a force user.
And 900rpm means 15 rounds per second. So, the next bullet is only 0.07 seconds behind. With recoil jerking the muzzle around, not even reading the shooters intent will tell the Force user where the next round will be aimed at.

Open field of fire, multiple shooters and too much distance for Fore leap, and yea, guess the Jedi is finished.
But that's true even with blasters. A faster gun will only reduce the neccessary number of shooters.

If it's one on one, no-one will be able to tell how it will end, but if I am the shooter in such a situation, I guess I would prefer a good old SG550 over a blaster any day.
I dont want to repeat myself over and over again, so I am just going to say this:

Force Shield + Force Leap + Cut down target = problem solved

Eightus's Avatar


Eightus
10.14.2012 , 11:20 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Meepbot View Post

Also, to stay on topic, There are bounty hunters that get famous for kiling jedi, and there are Jedi who are famous for killing Bounty hunters, so obviously their weapons can work, but it depends on whos fighting, and their relative skill with their weapons.
Thank you.

RendValor's Avatar


RendValor
10.14.2012 , 04:42 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Eightus View Post
I dont want to repeat myself over and over again, so I am just going to say this:

Force Shield + Force Leap + Cut down target = problem solved
Using your own arguements and going by your own logic, having a Force Shield and Jedi reflexes doesn't guarantee victory against a well equipped/trained/prepared Bounty Hunter and/or squad of Imperial Troopers.

HK-47 and Atton Rand best describe how easy it is to kill Jedi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeI4mX8Nus
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Eightus's Avatar


Eightus
10.14.2012 , 05:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
Using your own arguements and going by your own logic, having a Force Shield and Jedi reflexes doesn't guarantee victory against a well equipped/trained/prepared Bounty Hunter and/or squad of Imperial Troopers.

HK-47 and Atton Rand best describe how easy it is to kill Jedi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeI4mX8Nus
If you read my previous posts you would know that I never said or suggested that this simple combination would guarantee me a victory versus an "equipped/trained/prepared Bounty Hunter". It would however, give me the victory against an average republic trooper armed with a modern assault rifle.

Now replace the AVERAGE(notice the word average) republic trooper and his modern assault rifle(and the whole stupid idea of bringing AK-47s into SW) with a seasoned Bounty hunter and all of his weapons and you get quite a different story. It really comes down to the idnividual in that case, and that was the point I was trying to make from the very beginning.

RendValor's Avatar


RendValor
10.14.2012 , 06:22 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Eightus View Post
If you read my previous posts you would know that I never said or suggested that this simple combination would guarantee me a victory versus an "equipped/trained/prepared Bounty Hunter". It would however, give me the victory against an average republic trooper armed with a modern assault rifle.
Wait, you do realize you are not actually a Jedi, right? You seem to be taking this discussion a little too personal lol
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Eightus's Avatar


Eightus
10.14.2012 , 06:31 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
Wait, you do realize you are not actually a Jedi, right? You seem to be taking this discussion a little too personal lol
LOL, indeed i do realize the fact that unfortunately I am not a Jedi. I was simply stating what I would do if I was in the Jedi's shoes. Thanks for the post btw it really gave me a laugh XD

RendValor's Avatar


RendValor
10.14.2012 , 06:40 PM | #20
You also have to realize that not all Jedi have all the force abilities. Much like an engineer can't master all fields of engineering or like a doctor can't cover all fields of medicine (which is why specializations exist), some Jedi may focus on more offensive telekinetic abilities while others may choose to master a more defensive use of the force. While Yoda and maybe Elder Obi Wan may've been able to use the force to shield themselves, Anakin, Kidi Adi Mundi, Ayala Secura and Master Windu certainly weren't
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five