Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Back after 9 months off. Dps meters yet?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Back after 9 months off. Dps meters yet?

Lancerx
10.10.2012 , 09:40 PM | #1
Just curious, Im back after 9 months off from playing, looking forward to having some fun solo'ing and what not. Is there anyway to monitor dps yet? I know before there was no way, and it kinda bummed me out. Dps charts I know are not that important at times, but they are very fun to me though.

HelinCarnate
10.10.2012 , 09:47 PM | #2
No ingame method. There are 3rd party parcers for combat logs.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

jedip_enguin
10.10.2012 , 10:03 PM | #3
Why on earth would you use dps meters while soloing?
I like big referrals and I cannot lie - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

hages
10.10.2012 , 10:37 PM | #4
dps meters are not needed...we do not want this to become a second wow
nothings as good as an cold cold beer...and swtor to play drunk

Andryah
10.10.2012 , 10:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Lancerx View Post
Just curious, Im back after 9 months off from playing, looking forward to having some fun solo'ing and what not. Is there anyway to monitor dps yet? I know before there was no way, and it kinda bummed me out. Dps charts I know are not that important at times, but they are very fun to me though.
Personal combat logging and tie-in to reputable 3rd party parsers. Works nicely if you really feel you need it.

No addons in game, and I hope there never are.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

paul_preib
10.10.2012 , 11:20 PM | #6
Combat log + parsing system (via sites like Askmrrobot) exist and I think are a great happy medium struck. I am more then happy to upload my combat log to one to check it out, and find ways to tweak builds/rotations/whatever to maximize dps, and more importantly-- notice where and when my dps is coming so the overall result isn't swayed by say aoeing trash or the like.

This gives you all the tools in place to improve either just yourself or as a guild/group without any of that pesky dps meter racing that can utterly mung up the flow of most pugs.
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

GhostNato
10.10.2012 , 11:39 PM | #7
No offence here, but DPS meters are for elitists.

I mean, yeah, sure, they can be used to identify players that need help to do more DPS. But in my experience, I have seen DPS meters only serve for one player to tell another player to quit the game because they aren't doing enough DPS.

Games are supposed to be fun

ElitehunterDS
10.10.2012 , 11:45 PM | #8
SWMoniTOR is my personal favorite and MOX come 2nd.
Quote: Originally Posted by GhostNato View Post
No offence here, but DPS meters are for elitists.

I mean, yeah, sure, they can be used to identify players that need help to do more DPS. But in my experience, I have seen DPS meters only serve for one player to tell another player to quit the game because they aren't doing enough DPS.

Games are supposed to be fun
Someone sensitive? So you got hit by the low dps disease and try to say everyone using a tool to find out you arent giving effort in what you do is an elitist?

We wouldnt need the tool in the first place if you were doing your job while having fun.
Retiring from SWTOR August 2013

Sev'ra Level 55 Sith Assassin {Deception spec}
Tempest (Prophecy of the Five)

paul_preib
10.10.2012 , 11:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ElitehunterDS View Post
Someone sensitive? So you got hit by the low dps disease and try to say everyone using a tool to find out you arent giving effort in what you do is an elitist?

We wouldnt need the tool in the first place if you were doing your job while having fun.
Generally speaking the malice towards dps meters would not be concern that "jimbob is woefully inadequate to the content he is working on and here it is in black and white" but more along the lines of "damage dealers need to be pulling at least 700 dps for X encounter, jimbob did 750dps but is terrible because it wasn't 800dps and therfore made the run take an extra 30 seconds"

In flashpoints there's only two dps and the tank, you can pretty much figure out who is to blame if the damage is lacking. In operations there are enough split-dps fights in most of them that it is again easier to narrrow down who is the culprit.

As a progression-content tool shared among guildies via a parser meters are great, but there is no Puggable content that should require a meter, meaning that the only purpose a real-time in game dps meter serves would be a little faster convenience when working on rotations (combat dummy and the like) and a lot of hassle from those looking to churn through puggable as fast as humanly possible, meaning that columi-geared dpser in a HM is just slowing the group down and in need of replacement.

And before you tie it somehow into my worry that my own personal dps will be called out by virtue of this, I have basically only one character I tend to PVE on who is a dedicated healer, the other two I use time to time in pvp are also healspecced.
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

GalacticKegger
10.11.2012 , 12:07 AM | #10
No sir. Bioware's made it clear - no in-game addons ... and they're sticking to it. Which is fine by me personally as I left WoW because it got to the point where the challenge was in mastering the mods instead of the game. The only "mod" (if you will) that I felt the game lacked at launch was a customizable UI. That was handled rather nicely with the 1.2 patch back in April.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu