Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*Spoiler* Who did you choose? (Trooper)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
*Spoiler* Who did you choose? (Trooper)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Neverfar
08.31.2012 , 02:02 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Zardac_the_Great View Post
Well, when I got Tanno Vik (the jerk), Jorgan offered to put him in his place as my XO, but aside from that, I don't remember anything.
I'm surprised there isn't more love for Tanno Vik in this forum. What with all the people saying Jorgen is "stuck up" for being by-the-rules and professional as a soldier. Sure, he complains, but he was deeply stiffed and made a scapegoat for Havoc Squad's betrayal. That's gotta hurt.

CharlesBoyd
08.31.2012 , 03:30 PM | #22 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
Does your choice ever come up again? Does it have a meaningful impact at some point? Besides maybe a conversation here or there... "Thanks for the promotion" "Hey, screw you for not picking me!"

What I mean is at some point the one you picked has to make a descision of their own and depending on who you picked might have a different outcome. Like perhaps Jorgan is more suited in this regard.
This was something I thought about a lot as we were developing the storyline. Ultimately, I think that if there were a mission where one character performed the XO job better than the other, Players would feel obliged to metagame and choose the "better" character regardless of personal/roleplay preferences. I think this is borne out somewhat in the posts from players who (sadly) chose a character solely out of fear of losing their romance options. (As other posters have confirmed, romances are not affected by this choice.)

My goal was for there to be no "correct" choice from the game's perspective, only from your own point of view as the commander of Havoc Squad. On that note, it's very fun reading everyone's opinions on the choice, so thank you all for sharing.

PepiDeto
08.31.2012 , 04:19 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Neverfar View Post
Arguably, it makes it more troublesome in the setting if the person you're sleeping with is in the same direct officer chain that you are in. If she's a sergeant, she's enlisted and technically not in the same direct place that would be considered "fraternization" in a modern military.

In other words, if this story was more dynamic and responsive, you'd be in a lot more trouble promoting someone strictly because you like sleeping with them. It'd make for poor troop morale, among other things.
While I agree with you on this one doesn't the military also have rules on officers and enlisted "fraternizing"? I didn't think officers and enlisted could mingle like that. So I would think if you were both officers it would be less frowned upon.
Master Pepi Deto
Patriarch - Deto Legacy
Level 50 Jedi Sentinel

PepiDeto
08.31.2012 , 04:23 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
Spoiler Question.

Does your choice ever come up again? Does it have a meaningful impact at some point? Besides maybe a conversation here or there... "Thanks for the promotion" "Hey, screw you for not picking me!"

What I mean is at some point the one you picked has to make a descision of their own and depending on who you picked might have a different outcome. Like perhaps Jorgan is more suited in this regard.

I have not played the Republic Soldier yet.
I was thinking this myself. I mean if i get promoted again I would easily make him an officer again. However I do think he can be more useful as an NCO because NCOs are more respected by those in the ranks and most of them have more command experience than officers and know how to get the job done better than officers. I also thought about this when promoting Dorne not just the romance side but the fact that I think as my squad grows Jorgan can play a larger role as an NCO than an officer...
Master Pepi Deto
Patriarch - Deto Legacy
Level 50 Jedi Sentinel

Neverfar
08.31.2012 , 04:40 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by PepiDeto View Post
While I agree with you on this one doesn't the military also have rules on officers and enlisted "fraternizing"? I didn't think officers and enlisted could mingle like that. So I would think if you were both officers it would be less frowned upon.
When I was in the Army, the rules were against enlisted having relationships with enlisted in the same branch, OR officers having relationships with officers in the same chain of command.

It's obvious why this is in place: promoting a woman because she sleeps with you is very, very corrupt.

Trollokdamus
08.31.2012 , 04:51 PM | #26
So... we got another mysterious ninja-type yellow post which decided to remain invisible? Sorry for off-topic.

Ohamsie
08.31.2012 , 07:11 PM | #27
I was wondering that too. Maybe they added the *spoiler* to the topic title?

Uluain
08.31.2012 , 08:11 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohamsie View Post
I was wondering that too. Maybe they added the *spoiler* to the topic title?
No - that was there from the start.

Alverd
08.31.2012 , 08:25 PM | #29
Dorne, because I thought having the opposite personality of my trooper as XO was a nice way to cover bases, Jorgen would have been too close. Besides, then she does all the paperwork. ;-p

AhsokaTanorules
08.31.2012 , 11:47 PM | #30
I chose Dorne becuase my Trooper still dislikes him for beign a ***** earlier. I wanted to promote M14X if they allowed it but nooooooo. Would have promoted Vik if he was there.

Oh and if you promote Dorne and build up Aric's rep some after that.....

Spoiler