Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

elliotcat
08.20.2012 , 07:06 PM | #1
"One thing has become clear: this is the darkest timeline."

It's the Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread - Alternate Universe Edition!
by popular request!

Back in June, I started running the Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread. For three months, we've had an excellent time writing stories about our characters and their journies their the class stories and beyond. But in mid-August, a prompt was posted that would change our lives forever...

What if? asked us to consider alternate versions of our characters...timelines where their lives had taken a different path. Some were small changes, others major. The prompt was so popular that requests for a spin-off thread were made, and so this thread is for indulging our curiosity about what might have been for our characters.

Thread Rules:
1. AU Only. This thread is for versions of your character and his/her story that did not happen in your "prime" universe - that is, things that according to your personal canon for the character did not happen. An example would be a re-roll on an RP server, where your character did not go through the class story. Anything that you wish to set in universe "prime" should go into the original weekly challenge thread.
2. No jerky behavior. Everyone's been super cool in the last thread, so let's keep it going. Anybody who acts jerky will get yelled at by me, and probably others. This is such a wonderful community and we ask that everyone is respectful of each other so that we can keep that going.
3. Mark all spoilers and use spoiler tags. These threads move very quickly. By convention, in the original thread we used spoiler tags. Please continue to place your stories under the tag to save space and keep us from having to spend 5 minutes scrolling.
4. Try and set up some context. I'm sure many of us will be writing about millions of varied timelines - so please help keep things organized and briefly explain your story's context, if it is not clear from the story.

A Request: I'm a pre-med student and my schedule is really hectic! I don't mind running both threads, but I worry some about coming up with prompts for them both. So, if you happen to think of a prompt, please send it to me! It would help me out a lot, and I'd really, really appreciate it.

I'm going to try and update this thread with new prompts every Wednesday while the prime thread will continue to be updated on Friday.

I love everyone who writes in these threads.

Current Prompt:
Week of 8/22/12
Friends and Allies - We saw a similar prompt in the prime thread - but what if things were different? What if your character had a different set of friends he or she ran with? How would an alternate version of your character act as a friend, and who would he or she call on as allies?

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

kabeone
08.20.2012 , 07:09 PM | #2
Ongoing
Night of the Living Prompt - So remember all those ideas or half-finished scraps you had for earlier prompts? You know how it feels way too late to post it now? Resurrect your favorite prompt - let us know which it is! - and give us a story!

Current Prompt -
Week of 12/6/13
Heritage and Antiques---Star Wars is full of special things. Old things. Things with personal meaning, things revered as holy. The lightsaber your father wanted you to have when you were old enough. Your grandmother’s silver (or silver ship) you hope one day to give to your grandchildren. The insignia of your squad’s first commander, the one whose bravery won her (or him) a medal and gave your squad its reputation. The holocron that corrupted (or redeemed) your master. What things, places, or heirlooms are special to your character?

Prompt Archive - See the SFC prompt archive for a complete list.

Story Index by Author > AU > Prompt
Adwynyth
Sith Warrior AU
What If, What If Part 2, Worlds Colliding, Uninvited Guests, Sith Happens

bright_ephemera
Ruth AU: RMC Fix Fic: Teachers and Heroes 1
Ruth AU: The Sword of Mercy (Ruth's line): Short Fic What If?, Friends and Allies 1, Friends and Allies 2, Friends and Allies 3, Loyalty and Betrayal 1, Loyalty and Betrayal 2, Goals and Ambitions 1, Goals and Ambitions 2, Goals and Ambitions 3, Life and Death 1, Life and Death 2, Life and Death drabbles, Memories, Best Day Ever 1, Worlds Colliding
Ruth AU, The Sword of Mercy, Twin Stars (Wynston's line): Loyalty and Betrayal 3, Life and Death 3, Backfired Plans 1, Culture Shock 1, Teachers and Heroes 2, Disguises
Wynston AU: Screw the Sword of Mercy: Backfired Plans 2, Culture Shock 2, Best Day Ever 2

Screw the Sword of Mercy chronology:
Wynston behaves nicely on Taris
Wynston kicks back after Taris
Wynston helps change Ruth's crew

Sword of Mercy/Twin Stars chronology:
Ruth discovers the conditioning
Vette is re-collared
Drabble: Taris
Ruth meets and seeks help from Rho on Hoth
(Twin Stars) Wynston changes course
Ruth gets conditioned a second time; side effects suck
Pierce declares his intention to help
Baras seeks to kill Quinn; Quinn makes a power play
Pierce teams up with Vowrawn
Ruth negotiates with Darth Ekkage
Ruth receives a serum course from Doc on Voss; Scourge learns something
Ruth starts seeing Lord Draahg
Drabble: Investigating Baras's records
Ruth negotiates with Darth Vowrawn
Drabble: Scourge's Vigil
(Twin Stars) Wynston ends the traditional class line
Ruth faces Darth Baras
Justice is served
(Twin Stars) Wynston attempts to set terms
(Twin Stars) Wynston's partner has a different idea
Ruth goes home
(Twin Stars) Wynston makes contact with Imperial Intelligence and is needled by his partner
(Twin Stars) Wynston gets his disguise generator

Ruth/Wynston AU: Lodestone
L-3: Kaliyo's personal quest blows up
L-3: Wynston calls Ruth
L-2: Wynston talks with Keeper and the Minister
AU thread:
L: Faith, Hope and , in which Wynston catches up with Ruth
L: The dream changes
L+1: Wynston talks to the crew
L+1: Wynston sees DS Ruth in action and calls her on it
L+2: Ruth leaves Wynston behind
L+2: Quinn proposes something to Wynston
L+2: Ruth and Wynston get cozy
L+3: Ruth takes exception to Wynston's recommendations
L+3: Ruth alone, day 1
L+3: Wynston alone, day 1
L+4 and change: Ruth alone, days 2 and then some
L+4 and change: Wynston alone, days 2 and then some
L+10: Wrath, Courage, Culture Shock
L+11: Allies, Goals and Ambitions, First day on the Job
L+12: Home Ec, Loyalty and Betrayal
L+13: Goals and Ambitions
L+15: Confessions and Allies
L+20/L+25: I Love this Bar
L+32/L+39: What's in a Name/Sacrifice
The rest of the story is now in its own awesome thread.
E: Music
E: NotLP: I Love This Bar
E: NotLP: As Time Goes By
Affection
Good/Bad Memories
Alternate Perspectives
Membership
Life and Death
Cross My Heart

Vierce Cross Faction: What If?, Law and Governance, Loyalty and Betrayal, Communication Breakdown, Behind the Scenes, Discoveries and Home Ec, Dreams and Nightmares, Do the Math: Does Not Compute, Brotherhood, Dreams and Nightmares II, Goals and Ambitions,Failure, Goals and Ambitions, Enemies, Brotherhood, Life and Death, What's in a Name, Dreams and Nightmares, Brotherhood, Allies, Enemies/Communication Breakdown, Do the Math, Goals and Ambitions, Allies, Enemies, Communication Breakdown,Goals and Ambitions, Communication Breakdown, Allies and Enemies, Catching Up, Legacy, Catching Up, Legacy/Tools of the Trade, Enemies, Dreams, Epilogue: First Day on the Job, Coda: What If?

NDOW!Class Swap
Head of the Class
Allies and First Day on the Job
First Impressions
First Impressions, Teachers and Heroes, Sisterhood
Communication Breakdown

Earthmama
Ardyth AU: Loyalty and Betrayal
Miranda Quinn AU: Friends and Allies, Loyalty and Betrayal, Backfired Plans, Loyalty and Betrayal 2

elliotcat
Meenah AU: Worlds Colliding

Ereiniel
Andrina Revel AU: NotLP: Seven Virtues

Eversteam
NotLP: Loneliness and Solitude
NotLP: Tools of the Trade
NotLP: Stomping Grounds
NotLP: Sacrifice, NotLP: Hidden Talents and Best Day Ever

frauzet
Goodbye, Allies

iamthehoyden
Skari AU: Skari & Doc- Friends and Allies
Esma/Ukaita AU: Loyalty and Betrayal: Part 1, Part 2, Goals and Ambitions, Life and Death Drabble, Backfired Plans, Sacrifices, Disguises, Tools: Part 1, Part 2,
Home Ec, NotLD: Loyalty and Betrayal

irishfino
NSP:
Allies
Syla AU: Failed to Kill the Whole in Part - Backfired Plans
Dreams and NIghtmares, Allies, Uninvited Guests, Planes, Trains, and Thrantamobiles, Backfired Plans, Discovery, If I were a Rich Man, I Love This Bar, Celebrations

QQQ-AU
NotLP: Loyalty and Betrayal,NotLP: Allies,

Irrissa
The Morning After

kabeone
One Shots - Cipher Nine AU: Trump Card

Dark Ally AU
Allies

Lord Ninka AU: Alone - What If (shortfic thread), Loyalty and Betrayal, Backfired Plans, Fix Fic: Best Day Ever

Remi AU: Knightless - What If (shortfic thread), Friends and Allies: Part 1, Part 2, Loyalty and Betrayal: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Goals & Ambitions: Part 1, Part 2, Life and Death: Part 1, Drabbles, Drabbles 2, Backfired Plans, Teachers and Heroes: Part 1, Part 2, Best Day Ever: Part 1, Part 2, Worlds Colliding: Part 1, Part 2 Solitude: Part 1, Part 2,
Vices and Virtues: Wisdom,Justice,Greed & Faith,Gluttony, Sloth & Charity, Restraint, Home Ec: Part 1, Part 2, NotLP: Culture Shock, NotLP: Math, NotLP: Loyalty and Betrayal
NotLP: Disguises / Behind the Scenes, The Story So Far, Health, Health, NotLP: Backfired Plans, Morning After, (Un)invited Guest, To Market, To Market, Health, Membership, The End Part 1, The End Part 2

Kitar
NotLP: I Love This Bar, NotLP: Health, Worlds Colliding, Confessions, Nightmares and Dreams, Behind the Scenes

Lesaberisa
The Story So Far

LogicLoup
Khon'ilim'ahael AU: Coldfire Disguises, Solitude

Magdalane
Miriah AU - What If + Friends and Allies

marissalf
Kinka AU - Friends & Allies

Morgani
Ipha AU: Havoc Squad Commander - Friends and Allies
Ipha AU: Jedi - Friends and Allies, Reluctantly

Striges
Agent!Rixik AU: Cleaner
What If?, Allies, What's in a Name, Canned Response, Catching Up: Part 1, Part 2, Hide and Seek, Working out the Kinks, Exploration

Rixik and Kirya AU: Uncharted Territory
The Story Thus Far

What If (shortfic thread), Loyalty and Betrayal, Goals and Ambitions, Life and Death: Drabble, Extended, Culture Shock, Backfired Plans: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Good/Bad Memories, Xenobiology, Disguises,Tools of the Trade,
Vices and Virtues: Wrath, Restraint; and Faith, Food, Filling Station, NotLD: Allies, Alternate Views, Behind the Scenes, Behind the Scenes, Working out the Kinks, Morning After Part 1, Part 2
To Market, To Market

Vesaniae
Sith Quinn AU: Switchbladeverse - What If, Drabbles, Teachers and Heroes, Food, Solitude, Seasons: Spring, Summer, Autumn, NotLP: Seasons-Winter, NotLP: Seasons-Winter, NotLP: Sacrifice, NotLP: Life and Death

Afterimages AU: Affection

Thaera AU: - Life and Death
A'tro AU: - Life and Death
NotLP: Parenthood

Updated to Post 666

elliotcat
08.20.2012 , 07:33 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
I will update an index for this thread here.
I love you so much right now.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

iamthehoyden
08.20.2012 , 08:39 PM | #4
Friends/Allies

Not Quite My Style
BH/JK (kinda) Skari & Doc no spoilers
EDIT (again): Quick mention, Skari is my bounty hunter from the stories on the Short Fiction Weekly Challenge Thread for those of you unfamiliar with her.

Spoiler

Author's Note:
Spoiler
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

kabeone
08.20.2012 , 10:19 PM | #5
Knightless: Friends and Allies Doc & Chemish
JK
Remi Alt-U Expanding on this what if story What if my JK was never sent to Tython and instead she stayed with her mother on her homeworld, Balmorra.

Spoilers for IA Balmorra character names but not actual plot.

Spoiler

kabeone
08.20.2012 , 10:40 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Friends/Allies

Not Quite My Style
BH/JK (kinda) Skari & Doc no spoilers
EDIT (again): Quick mention, Skari is my bounty hunter from the stories on the Short Fiction Weekly Challenge Thread for those of you unfamiliar with her.
This works so well because we know Doc did hang around on Hutta for a while. Also, I wish my JK could have shot at him enough to get him to stop calling her beautiful/gorgeous or whatever.

Striges
08.21.2012 , 12:01 AM | #7
Are we assuming a "consistent" alternate universe? One of my "what-if"s from the other thread could certainly be continued, the other was intended as a one-off. Also got one in progress that would be a one-off as well.

So I guess the question is, are you looking more for "continuing stories in an alternate universe, where your characters did something very different and now have a different story to tell", or more at a twilight zone vibe, where you change one thing, get a dramatically different story, but not necessarily one that could continue. Any of the ones where the main character (usually your PC) dies fall into this category.

kabeone
08.21.2012 , 12:05 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
Are we assuming a "consistent" alternate universe? One of my "what-if"s from the other thread could certainly be continued, the other was intended as a one-off. Also got one in progress that would be a one-off as well.

So I guess the question is, are you looking more for "continuing stories in an alternate universe, where your characters did something very different and now have a different story to tell", or more at a twilight zone vibe, where you change one thing, get a dramatically different story, but not necessarily one that could continue. Any of the ones where the main character (usually your PC) dies fall into this category.
I would think it's anything that's not the "main universe" but giving enough background so we know which alt universe is happening.

Striges
08.21.2012 , 12:17 AM | #9
Ok, that works.

We may want to consider having some kind of background section for our characters. One for each thread, but especially the main one. There are a lot of them in there, and it can be intimidating for a new reader (or a slacking returning reader like me sometimes) to remember everyone's backstories.

Not sure where we'd put it though. And I probably should have posted this in the main thread but I haven't gone there yet tonight.

Morgani
08.21.2012 , 05:43 AM | #10
Alternate Ipha story (kind of a crackfic). I wrote this months ago and actually posted it on the forums I think. I went back and made some edits to it, made things flow a little better. But this AU snippet shows why Ipha shouldn't lead Havoc Squad.

(I thought you were my) Friend and Ally

Spoiler
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.