Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Dwindling Dev Tracker

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Azoetia
08.20.2012 , 06:22 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
It would be nice if they could revisit the Guild Summit talk, make a list and say "no" to whatever items they're no longer bringing in, so we can stop waiting for them.
No way, they need all those murky promises and promises-to-look-into-stuff in order to stall just a little bit longer.

Skyzen
08.20.2012 , 09:14 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I read the Forbes article. It did not say that. It said that an analyst was concerned that EA might shut down SWTOR if it kept loosing subs, which is silly. They have not shut down DAOC or Warhammer have they?

Besides, Something like that is generally also unenforceable. Worst case, LA might have a clause in the contract that says if EA changes hands, LA has the option to renegotiate one or more contract terms.
Your comparison is not valid. You are unaware of operating costs of SWTOR in comparison to DAoC or Warhammer. Assumption are just that.
Love your enemies.

Andryah
08.20.2012 , 09:21 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Skyzen View Post
Your comparison is not valid. You are unaware of operating costs of SWTOR in comparison to DAoC or Warhammer. Assumption are just that.
Your allegation is not valid.

Actually, I am quite aware of what the operations costs for SWTOR are. It's easy as it is 90% headcount driven.

Here is why your allegation is NOT VALID:

They have, and will continue to scale their operations plan to match the scale of customer base for their MMOs. That is what they have and continue to do for DAOC and Warhammer, and in fact they have done this already for SWTOR in May, and will continue to do so as they review and adjust their operations plan to match revenue with expenses.

The only possible doomsday scenario for EA is if Lucas Arts is guaranteed a minimum floor in royalty payments. There is no evidence of this so far, but if there is, then it would explain why they focus on 500K in a subs model as their profit point for the game. Now that it is going Freemium, that sub number is no longer valid because they have a new busines model that monetizes the game differently.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

discosoc
08.20.2012 , 09:22 PM | #24
I told everyone they were just ramping up communication to put on a good face for Gamescon.

Skyzen
08.20.2012 , 09:38 PM | #25
Your allegation is not valid.

Actually, I am quite aware of what the operations costs for SWTOR are. It's easy as it is 90% headcount driven.

Here is why your allegation is NOT VALID:

They have, and will continue to scale their operations plan to match the scale of customer base for their MMOs. That is what they have and continue to do for DAOC and Warhammer, and in fact they have done this already for SWTOR in May, and will continue to do so as they review and adjust their operations plan to match revenue with expenses.

The only possible doomsday scenario for EA is if Lucas Arts is guaranteed a minimum floor in royalty payments. There is no evidence of this so far, but if there is, then it would explain why they focus on 500K in a subs model as their profit point for the game. Now that it is going Freemium, that sub number is no longer valid because they have a new busines model that monetizes the game differently.
I find it interesting how you are so certain about these things. Do you work for Bioware of have inside information? *OR* are you making observations with small bits of information and creating your own truth on what is and is not happening.

In any case, it really doesn't matter. We cannot know the future. Perhaps you can humble yourself and speak with more emphasis on things being your opinion as opposed to fact. These conclusions on what is going on are what you have deduced by your own devices and interpretations. Opinions are great, but let's call them what they are. You may find you are taken more seriously if you provide your words in that light.

I sincerely hope this game can pull out of this seemingly downward spiral. I enjoy it.
Love your enemies.

ChazDoit
08.20.2012 , 09:46 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
So, in a fit of curiosity, I decided to see if it was my imagination or if the communication levels had, indeed, slacked off.

August 8th - We get the "new and improved communication era" and 31 dev/community team posts on the Dev Tracker. Of those, two are what I'd consider housekeeping posts (maintenance, Q&A, servers are back up, reposting announcements from the main page). So that's 29 posts of some sort of substance.

August 8 - 31 posts, 2 housekeeping = 29
August 9 - 15 posts, 1 housekeeping = 14
August 10 - 13 posts, 2 housekeeping = 11
August 11 & 12 - weekend
August 13 - 17 posts, 2 housekeeping = 15
August 14 - 9 posts, 1 housekeeping = 8
August 15 - 8 posts, 2 housekeeping = 6
August 16 - 8 posts, 3 housekeeping = 5
August 17 - 4 posts, 1 housekeeping = 3
August 18 & 19 - weekend
August 20 = 2 posts, 0 housekeeping = 2

In 9 days we've gone from 29 posts per day to 2. Two. Color me not impressed with the stamina of the "new and improved communication."

Look, I'm not even counting the number of "we have no new information, please check back later" responses. I'm just counting the number of posts total. If you want us to have confidence in your willingness to communicate then promises need to be backed up by actions.
Very interesting post, I hope their promises of "new and improved communication." were not empty after all.

cashogy
08.20.2012 , 10:05 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by MadBlue View Post
People are asking the same questions over and over again. What are the devs supposed to talk about that they haven't already covered? Once they have updated information, and they are given the go to let us know, there will be a big burst of communication again.
people are asking the same questions over and over because bioware hasnt answered them yet. the q&a's are a complete joke, since they only choose the easiest fluff questions

it really is disappointing that this game is following this path. it had so much potential, and was so poorly managed. it really makes you wonder what kind of credentials you actually need to become a lead developer for an mmo

Thornsbane
08.20.2012 , 10:06 PM | #28
Wow some people have too much time on their hands.

Andryah
08.20.2012 , 10:14 PM | #29
I think maybe it is time to set some context on behalf of the community support team. So I'm going to just lay this out for you......

They let a lot of good people go in July, as part of the restructuring I'm sure. Don't believe me? You can follow the bread crumbs via linked-in where there are some very positive recommendations by Allison and Joveth for community staff members at Bioware. Clearly fine people doing fine work that had to be let go because so many people just could not stand to keep subscribing to this MMO.

So begining in late July, they now operate with a much smaller staff, as most of us can observe by their more limited coverage during weekends and off-hours.

At the same time, they stepped up and took on a more active role of being the information channel between the forum membership and the developemnt teams. And it was not lip service, they have been walking the talk and scouring the forums for questions and things that warrant clarifications and then working inside Bioware to bring those to you.

And all of this in an environment of ungratefullness each day in the forums by some of the membership.

So personally, I'm going to encourage everyone to step back a couple steps an cut them a good slice of slack and consideration. Becasue they are doing more, with less staff and resources, and doing it better.

So if you want to ignore all of this and just go on being critical.... nobody can stop you. But I encourage you to think about what I have shared here, and maybe temper your approach to the community support team and show them some gratitude.

And no.. I am not a Bioware insider. But I am observant, can analyze and can put the pieces together fairly well using publicly available information.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

SpazCats
08.20.2012 , 10:42 PM | #30
I think maybe it is time to set some context on behalf of the community support team. So I'm going to just lay this out for you......

They let a lot of good people go in July, as part of the restructuring I'm sure. Don't believe me? You can follow the bread crumbs via linked-in where there are some very positive recommendations by Allison and Joveth for community staff members at Bioware. Clearly fine people doing fine work that had to be let go because so many people just could not stand to keep subscribing to this MMO.

So begining in late July, they now operate with a much smaller staff, as most of us can observe by their more limited coverage during weekends and off-hours.

At the same time, they stepped up and took on a more active role of being the information channel between the forum membership and the developemnt teams. And it was not lip service, they have been walking the talk and scouring the forums for questions and things that warrant clarifications and then working inside Bioware to bring those to you.

And all of this in an environment of ungratefullness each day in the forums by some of the membership.

So personally, I'm going to encourage everyone to step back a couple steps an cut them a good slice of slack and consideration. Becasue they are doing more, with less staff and resources, and doing it better.

So if you want to ignore all of this and just go on being critical.... nobody can stop you. But I encourage you to think about what I have shared here, and maybe temper your approach to the community support team and show them some gratitude.

And no.. I am not a Bioware insider. But I am observant, can analyze and can put the pieces together fairly well using publicly available information.
Say what you will, Andryah, downplay all you want (and you will, according to your past posts).

The OP HAS A VALID POINT.

Bioware... deliver what you promise. Keep the communication going.