Tried SWTOR, gave quit at level 11 - Feedback

Liannaah

Hi,

Been pottering about for a bit, decided that I won't be continuing on and will let my time expire, here's some feedback that formed my decision, I have been in the MMO scene since the old 'dial up BBS MUDS'.

1. Linear "ThemePark" is getting old. *MAJOR*

I think this is a major problem that many MMO's have to deal with, what I call the 'thempark' meme. The problem with the Themepark is that the players are totally reliant upon the developrs to keep comming up with new 'rides' all the time, if they make it too hard players get upset (aka cata in wow), if they make it too easy players burn through it.

I think that the themepark idea is old and tired.

2. Graphics.. just not that good, Character animations... terrible *MINOR BUT ANNOYING*

To me, the game engine looks old, the animations look incredibly stiff, compared to even old WoW Paladin, my Empre Bounty hunter looks lifeless, the running/walking animations look just horrible and even though they did add some 'fidget' animations for an idle character, it is so robotic that it breaks immersion.

3. Grindy, booring quests

Another problem with MMo's... by level 5 I was dealing with 'go kill X of Y to collet N of Z bear asses', having collected the Sci Fi equic of bear asses, I'm sent back again to get bear teeth, argh... by level 11 I had had enough of this.

4. Bad voice acting does not make boring quests interesting.

The dialogue options began to annoy me after a while, the voice acting/animations are stiff and lifeless and the voice acting lacks any sort of light/shade, Dues Ex somehow managed to pull this off very well but somehow SWTOR took this idea and made it bland.

5. Clunky combat mechanics...

Even by level 11 I had a pile of buttons to mash, don't even want to think about what level 50 would be like.

And I'm not even going to comment on the so-called space combat mini-game, frm what I have seen n Youtube it looks like somethign form the early 90's arcade scene.

In short... Themepark MMOs with linear, grindy and dull questing combined with sub-standard voice acting and graphics will not enjoy success, the days of ThemePark MMO's are over.

I've had my EVE toon training up some skills last week or so, I'll be continuing EVE Online and leaving SWTOR on the shelf.

-Liannah

i totally agree on all what u said, im still playing game beacuse there is nothing on the market that is actually different then this and since this is the only story i like i keep with this...

Maybe you should get back to muds then. Batmud is still alive and well, suggest you try it. Downside is there's also poor animations and graphics,grindy quests and clunky combat mechanics. On the plus side, no poor voice acting :p

I really don't agree with much of anything you said... Especially 4 & 5. The actual combat gameplay is far less clunky than your average mmo, and is one of my favorite parts of the game and the main reason I am still playing. Thinking you can judge the gameplay in a game like this in the 3 hours or so that you played seems kind of ridiculous to me. Not to mention, like other mmo games, the gameplay and flow of combat can change completely as you level and mature your abilities.

Since it takes all of maybe 2 hours to reach level 11, that's not really a basis for judging a theme park MMO. Or any theme park. Like Disney World, or Disney Land, or Busch Gardens or Six Flags or yeah, so... Attention span. Important. Whole sentence good too, also then.

Game gave time, more, then, judge good yes?

Edited by jgelling

Worst trolling ever ! BH actually have one of the best voice actors out there and the story and lines for the

BH is fun and awesome.Unlike som classes like Jedi making on fall asleep.Game has flaws but you only

really had 1 valid point, the "space combat"

Edited by Lord_Karsk

I'll agree that SWTOR isn't perfect, and is in some respects like a lot of the other MMO's. If the only reason you're playing is to kill stuff, then I suppose one game is much like another --- if you enjoy the story; however, I think that they did a nice job with the various class quest storylines. Yes, it gets tiresome to have to go kill a bunch of things to gather teeth or whatever (and tiresome that apparently not everything you kill HAS teeth), but the bonus exp quests that you acquire while doing the main quests are a really nice feature, and the game has other features that are interesting ... like the class quests.

I don't know what class you rolled, but I'd suggest you try something different -- it shouldn't take more than an evening or two to get off your starter planet, and your class quest doesn't really get going until you at least make it to your capital world. Personally, I've really enjoyed the storylines for my Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent. It only becomes kinda sad when you hit 50 and your class story line runs out --- then you have to hunt up things to do that get you gear and such. With 8 classes to roll for storylines, it'll be a while before I'll run out of new content, and by then, perhaps some new content will emerge that will give my level 50 toons something to do besides chase gear.

Since you still have subscription time -- give it another go ... it certainly can't hurt and you may find a class you enjoy.

P.S. I do; however, agree about the space combat -- it's clunky and really not fun. Luckily there's a lot more to do than that, and it isn't required to advance your storyline.

Edited by Catlyn

guess u didn't play much of mmos then... dont worry u will understand in 5 years

Oh I wouldn't say that, WoW for 7 years, STO for 1 year and a few months, DCUO for a few months and now TOR.

But by all means, please proceed to pull out your MMO walking stick and wave it.

Edited by Lord_of_Mu

Worst trolling ever ! BH actually have one of the best voice actors out there and the story and lines for the

BH is fun and awesome.Unlike som classes like Jedi making on fall asleep.Game has flaws but you only

really had 1 valid point, the "space combat"

BH is fun, but it is like a Vinn Deisel direct to DVD action movie.

Oh I wouldn't say that, WoW for 7 years, STO for 1 year and a few months, DCUO for a few months and now TOR.

But by all means, please proceed to pull out your MMO walking stick and wave it.

guess u still don't understand it, but you will in another 7 years i guess, but even if u still dont get it, there is planty of time to do so... sometimes mother nature determinate when you get something.. that's ur case obviously :rolleyes:

Edited by Tonwan

Hi,

Been pottering about for a bit, decided that I won't be continuing on and will let my time expire, here's some feedback that formed my decision, I have been in the MMO scene since the old 'dial up BBS MUDS'.

1. Linear "ThemePark" is getting old. *MAJOR*

I think this is a major problem that many MMO's have to deal with, what I call the 'thempark' meme. The problem with the Themepark is that the players are totally reliant upon the developrs to keep comming up with new 'rides' all the time, if they make it too hard players get upset (aka cata in wow), if they make it too easy players burn through it.

I think that the themepark idea is old and tired.

2. Graphics.. just not that good, Character animations... terrible *MINOR BUT ANNOYING*

To me, the game engine looks old, the animations look incredibly stiff, compared to even old WoW Paladin, my Empre Bounty hunter looks lifeless, the running/walking animations look just horrible and even though they did add some 'fidget' animations for an idle character, it is so robotic that it breaks immersion.

3. Grindy, booring quests

Another problem with MMo's... by level 5 I was dealing with 'go kill X of Y to collet N of Z bear asses', having collected the Sci Fi equic of bear asses, I'm sent back again to get bear teeth, argh... by level 11 I had had enough of this.

4. Bad voice acting does not make boring quests interesting.

The dialogue options began to annoy me after a while, the voice acting/animations are stiff and lifeless and the voice acting lacks any sort of light/shade, Dues Ex somehow managed to pull this off very well but somehow SWTOR took this idea and made it bland.

5. Clunky combat mechanics...

Even by level 11 I had a pile of buttons to mash, don't even want to think about what level 50 would be like.

And I'm not even going to comment on the so-called space combat mini-game, frm what I have seen n Youtube it looks like somethign form the early 90's arcade scene.

In short... Themepark MMOs with linear, grindy and dull questing combined with sub-standard voice acting and graphics will not enjoy success, the days of ThemePark MMO's are over.

I've had my EVE toon training up some skills last week or so, I'll be continuing EVE Online and leaving SWTOR on the shelf.

-Liannah

You have me curious--I'm not disputing anything you stated as I have my own criticisms of the game because of which I unsubbed--but at 11th level, you haven't really done or accomplished anything except maybe finish Hutta (which I usually do at 12) and head to the Imp fleet to select your AC and your crew skills...so I'm wondering as to how you came to all these conclusions after playing the game for such a short time....

I really do not think that mmo's are your cup of tea. most mmo's mirror each other in one way or another, questing will be mostly the same to some degree how else would you lvl? getting to lvl 11 then quiting due to it being exactly what it is = an MMORPG is evidence that mmo's may not be for you.

when you said that the voice acting was bad then i knew that you were starting to tell tall tails, the voice acting in my opinion is awesome. i would suggest playing console games, with wultiplayer capabilities, because i just dont think that you like mmo's.

guess u still don't understand it, but you will in another 7 years i guess, but even if u still dont get it, there is planty of time to do so... sometimes mother nature determinate when you get something.. that's ur case obviously :rolleyes:

What does that even mean? Is English not your first language, or do you just have a tough time putting ideas into words?

Hello everyone,

We do appreciate when anyone has taken the time to express their thoughts and concerns. We will be closing this thread, as there is little room for constructive discussion. However, we do value any feedback and do encourage anyone to voice their feedback on the forums. We only ask that feedback focus on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ itself, and that it is constructive and as detailed as possible.

If you have suggestions for the game, we have a forum for specific suggestions, the Suggestion Box. We encourage you to post your suggestions there!

We thank you for your time and your understanding that we've closed this thread.