Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Non-Stop CTD after patch 1.2.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Non-Stop CTD after patch 1.2.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Camilus
05.05.2012 , 04:39 AM | #1
Hi,

I am having a problem launching Star Wars The Old Republic after patch 1.2.2. Once I am logged in and press PLAY in a character menu my game crashes to desktop - this happens almost every time I do that. Sometimes the game tries connecting, but somewhere in the middle of the loading screen it crashes, I already tried flushing DNS, launching the game with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 3 compatibility, I also updated .Net Framework, repaired installation and fixed launcher, I also installed the latest drivers but to no avail, the problem still persists.

Please note I did not have a connection problem whatsoever with a patch 1.2 it just started now after having installed the latest one.

Did anyone have this quite severe problem and managed to find a solution?

Thanks

Ratae
05.05.2012 , 05:29 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  

Hello Camilus,

As a first step, please try to run the Repair function by clicking the cogwheel you can find in the launcher and choosing 'Repair'. This function will attempt to find corrupt data in the installation and replace it if necessary.

If that doesn’t work, or isn’t available, try running the Fixlauncher.exe located in your installation directory. This is located by default at:

•32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
•64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

If neither of these have any effect please try the following, try to remove and re-add any exceptions for launcher.exe you have in your firewall and anti-virus programs and then restart the Launcher with Administrator privileges (sometimes this is necessary after a new patch or a reinstallation).

Please also make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card.

If the above does not resolve the problem, please try to work through the troubleshooting steps suggested in this post:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=9100
If none of this helps, could you please post your Dxdiag and Client log here to enable us to investigate further?
  • Client Logs. These logs are useful if you are experiencing issues after you have clicked ‘Play’ on the launcher and for in-game technical issues. In a default installation these files can be found here:
    • 32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs
    • 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs
    Example file name: Client_20111116T155258_901721.log
Please post the reports within code tags or spoiler tags

Please let us know how you get on.
Ratae | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Camilus
05.05.2012 , 06:52 AM | #3
Hi

As all of the proposed solutions here have already been applied, I simply leave Log. I hope you guys are aware how unplayable the game has been made by the latest patch for a lot of funs and working on this problem. Please help.

Spoiler

Ratae
05.05.2012 , 07:05 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Camilus,

I meant to ask for your Dxdiag report as well.

To get your DXDiag report, please follow these instructions:
  1. Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time. (The [Windows] key is the key with the Windows icon on it)
  2. Type in ‘DxDiag’ and press ‘OK’.
  3. This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool box.
  4. At the bottom of the box is a ‘Save All information’ button. Press it.
  5. This will open a ‘Save As’ box. Please ensure the text file is named ‘DxDiag’.
  6. Save this to your desktop.
  7. Open the saved file, hit Ctrl+A (select all), and then Ctrl+C (copy).
  8. Paste that information at the bottom of your post. Before you post it, please remove your PC Name from the DxDiag. Please use code or spoiler tags. If you don’t use these then your DXDiag will fill up the page making it hard to navigate your thread.
Thank you for your help.

Camilus
05.05.2012 , 07:11 AM | #5
Hi

Sorry, my bad indeed, please find it below.

Spoiler

Ratae
05.05.2012 , 07:38 AM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  

Hello Camilus,

As a first step, please try to run the Repair function by clicking the cogwheel you can find in the launcher and choosing 'Repair'. This function will attempt to find corrupt data in the installation and replace it if necessary.
If that doesn’t work, or isn’t available, try running the Fixlauncher.exe located in your installation directory. This is located by default at:

•32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
•64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

If neither of these have any effect please try the following, try to remove and re-add any exceptions for launcher.exe you have in your firewall and anti-virus programs and then restart the Launcher with Administrator privileges (sometimes this is necessary after a new patch or a reinstallation).

If you are still not able to access the server list and/or the character selection screen, you may need to modify a settings file named ‘client-settings.ini’
• Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time. (The [Windows] key is the key with the Windows icon on it)
• Type \Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\setting s into the Open dialog box and click ‘OK’.
• An explorer window will open and will show you some Configuration settings files (Notepad icon with cogs).
• Open the file ‘client_settings’.
• Click on ‘Edit’, then click on ‘Find…’ and type FullScreen in the Find window
• You should find 2 results. Please, change the value regarding these results to ‘false’ (as shown below):
D3DfullScreen = false
FullScreen = false
• Close the file and save the modification

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Camilus
05.05.2012 , 08:03 AM | #7
Hi Rafae,

Thanks for the swift reply, but alas it's still the same. Everything is launched with Administrator proviliges and I already tried the REPAIR tool twice.
Note that, I reach the character selection screen without any problem but the game crashes when I do one of those:

1) Click on the Servel list, it sometimes reaches the list, but then suddently the game crashes
2) Click on PLAY in the character selection screen, then the game either instantly crashes or does so during the loading screen.

Those issues did not occur with patch 1.2! Awaiting your reply.

PS. I also had one of those computer shuddowns other users are talking about

Ratae
05.05.2012 , 08:21 AM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  

Hello Camilus,

Could you also post the contents of your latest crash log here to enable us to investigate further?
  • Crash Logs. These logs are useful if the game shuts down on you unexpectedly. These logs can be found here:
    • \Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\CrashDump
    Example file names: crash.dmp, crash.json

Thank you for your assistance.