Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

having problems starting game

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

04.27.2012 , 12:44 AM | #1
I just got a new harddrive because my old one crashed and i installed swtor on it but it wont play. Every time i hit play it acts like its starting up but it returns to the desktop. It ran it fine on my other harddrive but im not real sure what i need to do for it to let me play

04.27.2012 , 06:38 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  

Hello dwarfman,

As a first step, please try to run the Repair function by clicking the cogwheel you can find in the launcher and choosing 'Repair'. This function will attempt to find corrupt data in the installation and replace it if necessary.

If that doesn’t work, or isn’t available, try running the Fixlauncher.exe located in your installation directory. This is located by default at:

•32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
•64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

If neither of these have any effect please try the following, try to remove and re-add any exceptions for launcher.exe you have in your firewall and anti-virus programs and then restart the Launcher with Administrator privileges (sometimes this is necessary after a new patch or a reinstallation).

Please also make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card.

If the above does not resolve the problem, please try to work through the troubleshooting steps suggested in this post:

If none of this helps, could you please post your Dxdiag and Client log here to enable us to investigate further?
  • Client Logs. These logs are useful if you are experiencing issues after you have clicked ‘Play’ on the launcher and for in-game technical issues. In a default installation these files can be found here:
    • 32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs
    • 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs
    Example file name: Client_20111116T155258_901721.log
Please post the reports within code tags or spoiler tags

Please let us know how you get on.
Ratae | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support