Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Combat Log Parser Round-Up & Instructions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Combat Log Parser Round-Up & Instructions

Feoktist
04.16.2012 , 05:36 AM | #11
Great job putting this information together. Found out a couple new ones to play with. Unfortunately none of the parsers have SWTOR unique features yet =( Will keep an eye on this topic, thanks again!
Nightmare Lands EX-Star Wolves [RU] (not for hire)
Feoktist (Jedi Shadow)
Brenda (Scoundrel)

MaverickXIV
04.16.2012 , 10:12 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Feoktist View Post
Great job putting this information together. Found out a couple new ones to play with. Unfortunately none of the parsers have SWTOR unique features yet =( Will keep an eye on this topic, thanks again!
What SWTOR-unique features would you be looking for?

krahar
04.16.2012 , 10:41 AM | #13
Some of my guildies just are doing something like half the DPS their gear should allow them to do, and we have no way to tell why. I suspect that they are not activating a new ability right away when the global cooldown comes up. Is there a log parser that will sort out things like that and give helpful advice?

Sengar
04.16.2012 , 10:48 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by krahar View Post
Some of my guildies just are doing something like half the DPS their gear should allow them to do, and we have no way to tell why. I suspect that they are not activating a new ability right away when the global cooldown comes up. Is there a log parser that will sort out things like that and give helpful advice?
Have them turn off their TV. Truthfully.

Feoktist
04.16.2012 , 02:13 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MaverickXIV View Post
What SWTOR-unique features would you be looking for?
From the top of my head:
1. Skill Damage-per-Power (aka Force aka Heat aka Rage..) analysis
2. Power meter (spend / regen) and skill chain analysis (i.e. how densely the skills are used) - basically rotation efficiency
3. Tank incoming miss / dodge / deflect / parry / hits / crits analysis
4. Absorbed damage handling
5. Class-specific skill presentation (e.g. Shadow Telekinetic Throw heal / channel shows up as "Crushed" which is similar to Mind Crush DoT "Crushed (Force)" and Force Technique Force Breach DoT "Crushed (Force)")
6. Dmg grouping by type (energy / kinetic / internal / elemental)
7. Option to display all hits / regular only / crit only

That's for tank and dps only, I'm sure heals have lots of things to request too.
Feoktist (Jedi Shadow)
Brenda (Scoundrel)

Lyynk
04.16.2012 , 02:27 PM | #16
Some of these are cool ideas. I'll give you my thoughts on them below. Thanks for providing feedback, btw.

Quote: Originally Posted by Feoktist View Post
From the top of my head:
1. Skill Damage-per-Power (aka Force aka Heat aka Rage..) analysis
Interesting idea. I'm a little confused, but I think you are looking for efficiency in using skills here?

2. Power meter (spend / regen) and skill chain analysis (i.e. how densely the skills are used) - basically rotation efficiency
I like this idea, and it's definitely a possibility.

3. Tank incoming miss / dodge / deflect / parry / hits / crits analysis
My site shows these exact stats for incoming damage.

4. Absorbed damage handling
This is something that may not happen because of the way the logs are set up. When someone absorbs damage, it just shows (xxx absorbed) at the end of the line in the parse. It provides no information on how it was absorbed or who provided the absorption buff. The only way this would be possible to track was in a raid setting where there was only one person casting absorb buffs.

5. Class-specific skill presentation (e.g. Shadow Telekinetic Throw heal / channel shows up as "Crushed" which is similar to Mind Crush DoT "Crushed (Force)" and Force Technique Force Breach DoT "Crushed (Force)")
I think you are saying that some skills are not showing correctly in the parsers? Like not giving credit to the proper spell when the dot damage has a different name? If so, then you're correct, this is something I want to do, but have not gotten to it yet.

6. Dmg grouping by type (energy / kinetic / internal / elemental)
Maybe I just don't really see the value in this? But, it is certainly a parseable stat and I've seen one parser that shows it... I think it was the bitbucket one, can't remember sorry.

7. Option to display all hits / regular only / crit only
For the most part, this is already implemented on my site also, albeit just as text based parsing, nothing graphical.

That's for tank and dps only, I'm sure heals have lots of things to request too.

Zoopercat
04.16.2012 , 03:09 PM | #17
Hey, great info here guys. For the question regarding a player doing less damage than they should with their gear...

One of the features we want to add in to Mr. Robot's parser, is linking a players gear, skill tree, and stats to the logs. Since players can build a profile in the character builder, why not link them, AMIRITE? (see Zoopercat as an example)

In fact, a little known secret: we have an API for character information, so anyone can do it really

Regarding my OP: I want to add a link for any FAQs and guides people have for each parser. So if you spot any, post then and I'll add it in.
ASK MR. ROBOT

Feoktist
04.16.2012 , 03:27 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lyynk View Post
Some of these are cool ideas. I'll give you my thoughts on them below. Thanks for providing feedback, btw.
Yes, personally I put TORParse above any other web-based parsers for these little usefulnesses =) For the record, we use MOX raid-wide, I use ACT standalone but it has several issues and never is going to become SWTOR-oriented enough, so for better analysis I go to TORParse. Tanking and healing are better served there I think, plus I really like the flexibility to select various time ranges. Not that my opinion mattered much anyway.

Damage vs. power spent is a type of analysis that is supposed to show how much damage each point spent to use a particular skill brought. I'd say this type of analysis becomes crucial when optimizing the build and skill rotation considering power regen. One complication is that all classes have different mechanics for the resource.

Regarding class-specific skill names, like I posted Ops Dummy parse earlier today for the Balance Shadow - same on TORParse and AskMrRobot:
http://www.torparse.com/a/2359?q=MXw...E3MzA4NDY2eDE=
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...59#d=0,f=9,t=1
Little did you know, "Sever Force (Force)" and both "Crushed (Force)"'s are DoTs from different skills. You have my word that I'll put together a list for Shadow skill should you decide to implement this feature. Dots are very important in this game.
NB: AskMrRobot correctly splits Crushed (Force) into two positions while TORParse doesn't.
Feoktist (Jedi Shadow)
Brenda (Scoundrel)

Zoopercat
04.16.2012 , 03:38 PM | #19
Feokist - I'm glad you brought that up, I was hoping a thread like this would bubble this kind of information up so that every combat-parser author could learn from them.

I have a few other skills that I know about, I can add a list of tips to the OP.
  • Telekenitic Throw is coming up as Crushed.
  • Crushed (force) is both the Mind Crush and Force Technique's Force Breach (edited to reflect correction stated by Feokist)
  • Whirlwind shows up as Force Lift
  • Force Lightning shows up at Shocked. Note that Shock is it's own ability and can be left alone.
  • A few abilities like Burning (Tech) are dots that happen from various abilities. As of right now, we haven't identified a good way to associate them to the right spell.

Looking forward for more of these, so everyone can get a full list
ASK MR. ROBOT

Feoktist
04.16.2012 , 04:52 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoopercat View Post
  • Telekenitic Throw is coming up as Crushed. Note that Crushed (force) is the Mind Crush Dot, so you can leave that one alone.
That's only partially complete, as I pointed out above both Mind Crush and Force Technique's Force Breach DoTs are both shown as "Crushed (Force)" (I believe case is important here too?). They show with different IDs in the log. Which one is which? Force Breach is the one with smaller numbers.
Feoktist (Jedi Shadow)
Brenda (Scoundrel)