Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ancient Jedi with Lightsabers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Ancient Jedi with Lightsabers?

Ghengis_John
12.16.2011 , 10:05 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by evidence_ View Post
Why are the "first Jedi Council" on Tython depicted with lightsabers? The force was discovered in 36,453 BBY and the Jedi order was formed around 25,783 BBY. But, modern Lightsabers (not protosabers) were not brought to the republic untill Naga Sadow's invasion of the Republic in 5,000 BBY.
Did anyone else hear this in their heads as being accompanied by a nasally lisp?

ElevenBGrunt
12.16.2011 , 10:09 AM | #22
Just thought i'd mention the first lightsabers were actually just a hilt with a cable going to a power pack on belt and they were around at 5000 years BBY the newer sabers as are commonly though of that have a power crystal in them to make them independently powered (not needing a powerpack and cable going to hilt on your belt) were invented about 4000-3000 years BBY their not actually sure when it was invented. However you are correct in the sense tthat the holograms from baefore the republic shouldnt have modern sabers they should have the ones with a powerpack on belt.
CE - Miraluka Jedi Consular

evidence_
12.16.2011 , 12:09 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ElevenBGrunt View Post
Just thought i'd mention the first lightsabers were actually just a hilt with a cable going to a power pack on belt and they were around at 5000 years BBY the newer sabers as are commonly though of that have a power crystal in them to make them independently powered (not needing a powerpack and cable going to hilt on your belt) were invented about 4000-3000 years BBY their not actually sure when it was invented. However you are correct in the sense tthat the holograms from baefore the republic shouldnt have modern sabers they should have the ones with a powerpack on belt.
In my OP I did actually distinguish between protosabers (the ones with cables) and modern lightsabers. The holos in the game portray modern lightsabers.

Also, just so we are clear I was talking more about the holos than the statues which are supposed to be actual recordings.

As for it being an oversight. A Few years out I could understand. Even a few hundred. But, 20,000 years? That is a massive oversight!
⋐∮∮∮∮∮≡|█████████████████████████████████████)

FlashbackJon
12.16.2011 , 02:25 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by KiroLM View Post
Science.
On the contrary, I'm pretty sure A Wizard Did It.
Adoko Kooba, Sith Marauder
Republic Mercy Corps | Imperial Mercenary Corps

Explorer 80, Socializer 80, Achiever 33, Killer 7

Petrus
12.16.2011 , 03:13 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeris_Kane View Post
Here's why;
3. George Lucas (/thread) ... When have you ever known him to adhere to his own Canon and lore?
If Lucas did anything other than cash his checks from SWTOR, this game would look like this:

Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans
Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans
Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans ...

esnoble
12.16.2011 , 03:30 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by evidence_ View Post
Why are the "first Jedi Council" on Tython depicted with lightsabers? The force was discovered in 36,453 BBY and the Jedi order was formed around 25,783 BBY. But, modern Lightsabers (not protosabers) were not brought to the republic untill Naga Sadow's invasion of the Republic in 5,000 BBY.
I call lore shenanigans on you for using BBY for a game that happens before the Battle of Yavin! How can you track time based on something that has not happened yet? Obviously only a total non-Star Wars fan could make such a mistake.

craggy
12.16.2011 , 06:10 PM | #27
never mind your Big Beautiful Yavins! The Star Wars fiction, and the KOTOR games themselves even, have depicted lost technology being rediscovered long after its existence has been forgotten nearly completely. (Star Forge, wifi, etc) and so I'm not too put off by ancient Jedi from before lightsabers were invented being depicted as having lightsabers in an artistic and reverential tone in the museum/temple/gift shop on a planet that exists out-with the canon of fiction that made up the arbitrary date for the invention of lightsabers, in the fictional universe of Star Wars.
Okay, how about everyone puts their in a bowl....?

ToEasy
12.16.2011 , 06:19 PM | #28
Umm science, funland of wizards. With pie and blue milk.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Hobodipps
12.16.2011 , 08:44 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghengis_John View Post
Did anyone else hear this in their heads as being accompanied by a nasally lisp?
When I read the the story and lore forum this is how I hear every post in my head.