Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Juggernaut vs. Powertech discrepancies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Juggernaut vs. Powertech discrepancies

Loudspeaker's Avatar


Loudspeaker
04.08.2012 , 06:21 AM | #1
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm one of two main tanks for my guild, I am a Sith Juggernaut with four pieces of Rakata(belt, bracers, boots, pants) and the rest columni, and the other MT is a Powertech with full Columni and no Rakata. Why then, does he have more armor and damage mitigation than me? Clearly this needs some re-balancing. Is this currently in the works or is it one of those "we'll look into it" type of deals?

-Kodutta, 50 Juggernaut
Colonel Tobin server

Veriu's Avatar


Veriu
04.08.2012 , 09:05 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Loudspeaker View Post
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm one of two main tanks for my guild, I am a Sith Juggernaut with four pieces of Rakata(belt, bracers, boots, pants) and the rest columni, and the other MT is a Powertech with full Columni and no Rakata. Why then, does he have more armor and damage mitigation than me? Clearly this needs some re-balancing. Is this currently in the works or is it one of those "we'll look into it" type of deals?

-Kodutta, 50 Juggernaut
Colonel Tobin server
It is intended, there are three types of tanks, they all have different strengths and weaknesses...

As simply as I can put this: The strength of Powertech is high armor & mid-high shield/absorb. Your strength is higher defense chance, and assassins strength is higher shield/absorb + self healing/max health.

If you are looking for more indepth analysis, take a look at some of the theorycrafting sites...but basically, in completely ideal circumstances & with optimal spec/gear/rotation all three tanks are extremely close together in survivability. That is not to say that they are all the same difficulty, or that a fight not being ideal affects a Powertech the same way as it affects an Assassin or a Jug (i.e. if the boss is using only tech or force attacks, Powertech will take the most damage, then Jug, then Assassin.)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Ivy league educated research scientist working on solar cell development. So yeah, I have no need to feel "accomplished" in a videogame.
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Call me when you've got 2 written recommendations from Nobel laureates and have attended annual private functions at the White House.

theangryllama's Avatar


theangryllama
04.08.2012 , 11:36 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Loudspeaker View Post
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm one of two main tanks for my guild, I am a Sith Juggernaut with four pieces of Rakata(belt, bracers, boots, pants) and the rest columni, and the other MT is a Powertech with full Columni and no Rakata. Why then, does he have more armor and damage mitigation than me? Clearly this needs some re-balancing. Is this currently in the works or is it one of those "we'll look into it" type of deals?

-Kodutta, 50 Juggernaut
Colonel Tobin server
Because you have better cooldowns and 10-15% more defense than he does...
PT's are pure damage reduction and shielding. We have very little defense to speak of (a properly rakata geared PT will have 12-13%) and our cooldowns are rather lackluster (energy shield 25% less damage for 12s/2min... kolto overload isnt worth mentioning)

Toogeloo's Avatar


Toogeloo
04.08.2012 , 03:15 PM | #4
Juggernauts also work better within the confines of CC. Many of the Assassin and Powertech tanking attack abilities will inadvertently break CC. Plus... Invincible man... Invincible.

Faolon's Avatar


Faolon
04.08.2012 , 03:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by theangryllama View Post
Because you have better cooldowns and 10-15% more defense than he does...
PT's are pure damage reduction and shielding. We have very little defense to speak of (a properly rakata geared PT will have 12-13%) and our cooldowns are rather lackluster (energy shield 25% less damage for 12s/2min... kolto overload isnt worth mentioning)
This sums it up.
Juggernauts have a bunch of cooldowns, Powertechs don't. They have to, instead, rely on their gear's stats and talents for the full mitigation.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

Veriu's Avatar


Veriu
04.08.2012 , 07:15 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by theangryllama View Post
Because you have better cooldowns and 10-15% more defense than he does...
PT's are pure damage reduction and shielding. We have very little defense to speak of (a properly rakata geared PT will have 12-13%) and our cooldowns are rather lackluster (energy shield 25% less damage for 12s/2min... kolto overload isnt worth mentioning)
Energy shield is actually 15 seconds/2min if you are properly geared.
Oil slick is 20% accuracy for 18 seconds/1min.
Kolto overload isn't amazing by any means...but it is still worth using on cd.

While yes, the Jug cd's are more powerful, they have MUCH longer cooldowns...so, if there is a burst damage phase from a boss that is very very rare, the Jug will win.

But, if the burst damage phase is often, or if there is no burst damage phase, so the tank can rotate through their cooldowns, the powertech will come out ahead.
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Ivy league educated research scientist working on solar cell development. So yeah, I have no need to feel "accomplished" in a videogame.
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Call me when you've got 2 written recommendations from Nobel laureates and have attended annual private functions at the White House.

Sykomyke's Avatar


Sykomyke
04.09.2012 , 12:15 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Veriu View Post
Energy shield is actually 15 seconds/2min if you are properly geared.
Oil slick is 20% accuracy for 18 seconds/1min.
Kolto overload isn't amazing by any means...but it is still worth using on cd.

While yes, the Jug cd's are more powerful, they have MUCH longer cooldowns...so, if there is a burst damage phase from a boss that is very very rare, the Jug will win.

But, if the burst damage phase is often, or if there is no burst damage phase, so the tank can rotate through their cooldowns, the powertech will come out ahead.
Quoted for emphasis. There's plenty of debate going on about each of the 3 tank classes, and despite what theorycrafting (Read: Perfect situations) may say, SA's and Powertechs tend to come out ahead from what I've seen in operations first hand.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

Teioh_White's Avatar


Teioh_White
04.09.2012 , 02:59 PM | #8
Tanking with both a 50 PT and 50 Jugg in Ops and HM, the PT is pretty much a clear winner. About the only thing the Jugg is better at is leaving longer during enrage, but honestly, that shouldn't be coming up.

Sykomyke's Avatar


Sykomyke
04.11.2012 , 06:37 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Teioh_White View Post
Tanking with both a 50 PT and 50 Jugg in Ops and HM, the PT is pretty much a clear winner. About the only thing the Jugg is better at is leaving longer during enrage, but honestly, that shouldn't be coming up.
Exactly. The only fight I can think of where a juggernaut would perform better then a powertech would be the foreman crusher fight in KP when he goes into a frenzy. The juggernaut can pop cooldowns for each of the frenzy phases and live with barely a scratch made against him.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

ninjashadowdark's Avatar


ninjashadowdark
04.11.2012 , 06:42 AM | #10
i like this post ... Its awsome to compare 3 tanks but what if i like them all and not care about there weakness and i play better on them ..