Calling All Jedi Roleplayers

Malles

Okay, I need some help.

I played WoW for a good bit (don't hate), and I had a paladin I thoroughly enjoyed roleplaying with. Defending the innocent while flirting with those darker, more frowned upon emotions. That's the kind of character I enjoyed.

Naturally, the closest thing in SWTOR to a paladin, personality-wise, is a Jedi Knight. So I want to make a Jedi that closely reflects my late paladin. Catch is, we have two Jedi classes, so I looked into Jedi Consular for what was supposed to be just for giggles and found my interest piqued.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between making her a Sentinel or a Shadow. My first thought was a Shadow. The website said something about them being the Jedi secret police, which to me says they're like the Gestapo, only without the crimes against humanity. The double-bladed lightsaber is also the most similar to the spear my paladin used in RP, an comes with the sneaky-sneaky style of fighting I so enjoy on my Scoundrel.

On the other hand, Sentinel is giving me more of a patrolmen feeling. A true defender of innocents. Not making a Guardian, since I already have a Sith Juggernaut, so if I make a Jedi Knight, gotta be a Sentinel. Sentinel play style looks like one where you just charger right in and straight up maul people with double-saber attacks. A friend of mine plays Marauder and he says it's a melee glass cannon, something I've never seen before and am genuinely interested in trying. The double-sabers aren't something that would fit with my paladin's style (they only ever used double or one-handed/shield combos), but the combat style does.

Which leaves, story dialogue. I'm hoping some of our Jedi players could give me some insight on the Light-side Consular and Jedi personalities, and which they think would best fit my paladin.

Well Shadow playwise has some 'Paladin' like aspects to it, especially if you go Tank spec. You'll have some minor self healing and be able to protect others with taunts and such. You'll even be able to equip a shield.

On Knight, Guardian is the more paladin of the two. Sentinel plays more like a dual wielding rogue in other games, minus the stealth and backstabbery.

Storywise though, Knight is the way to go for a Paladin theme. Its all about being the hero and protecting the weak. Consular is more about seeking lost knowledge and being 'sage-like.'

Consular is also one of the duller storylines unfortunately. Both are equally dull on the starter world, but Knight picks up a little after that.

Guardian is all about being the hero and protecting those weaker than you from the dark forces of a Sith Lord. As long as you can stand the fact a lot of your story will be dismantling super weapons, its the perfect do gooder class.

The Consular has a very slow story, especially in act 1, that makes you help members of the Jedi order with a certain "sickness". He is still a Jedi righting wrongs, but I never got the big hero sense from the Consular, he was more of a wizened sage travelling the galaxy on the Council's whim.

I love my Consular Shadow, its such a fun class to play. But the story is not very redeeming nor did I ever feel like a real hero while playing.

The Knight is the class to go for, definitely. I play Marauder on the Sith side so I went Guardian with my Knight, I have to say I prefer the simplicity and beefiness of the Guardian to the Marauder. Your friend was right, the dual blade class are glass cannons which means you always should bring a healer teammate.

Tbh I don't know how sentinels live until they get their healer, as its much longer than when Marauders get theirs.

One thing to keep in mind is despite what the description says about shadows you definitly do not do anything involving espionage in fact the story was very much geared toward the sage as its about jedi spiritualism and unraveling a mystery, its slow and drab and doesnt fit the shadow at all, go jedi knight and I wouldn't call the sentinel a melee glass cannon since it has plenty of defensive cds

Shadows are most definitely NOT the "gestapo".

Storywise though, Knight is the way to go for a Paladin theme. Its all about being the hero and protecting the weak. Consular is more about seeking lost knowledge and being 'sage-like.'

Consular is also one of the duller storylines unfortunately. Both are equally dull on the starter world, but Knight picks up a little after that.

This. Consulars are diplomats. If diplomacy and politics aren't your cup of tea, you won't like the story.

Edited by Caelrie

I love my Guardian.

Six foot two, eyes of blue, light side through-and-through.

Sadly, he's so pure and light side he's going to die without ever kissing a girl. But he did save the Galaxy.

Also, I loved RPing my WoW paladin, Parzival.

Edited by MMornard