If / When server mergers happen

haliy

What do you think will happen to the already established guilds?

Option 1:

server a has guildA

server b has guildA

Merger of server a and b has caused guildA to disbanded on both servers due to same name...

Option 2:

server a has guildA

server b does not have a guildA

Merger of server a and b has caused guildA to continue since guildA does not exist on both servers...

--------------------------------

Is this what I should be expected to see?

the if / when part of the title kinda gave the hint of this :)

so "if" this were to happen, what would happen to the already established guilds on the lower pop servers?

I've heard of other games putting in an NPC that allows the first person with a conflicting name to change it.

So, say there are 2 conflicting character names. So when you log in, you'll be displayed as:

"name" <former server name A>

and

"name" <former server name B>

The first person to go "claim" their name with that NPC gets to keep it. The second person is then prompted with a name change. So if you REALLY wanted to keep your name, you'd camp the login screen so you could get in ASAP.

I'm sure something similar would be done with guilds. First-come, first serve is the fairest way to handle it, with the name change responsibility on the shoulders of guildleaders.

Edited by Stenrik

Hopefully when the servers eventually start merger (there can be little doubt with the thinning playerbase on many servers currently) that first option to keep/refuse a name would go to the person who had it FIRST.

Seniority and stick-to-it-ism should count for something, and first adopters of character names, Legacy names and Guild names should get the option to keep theirs (or change) and everyone else on any other server should have to change. That is clearly the most fair.

Giving the name to whomever has the wherewithal (read: free time) to camp a log-in and claim the name first that way would be a true injustice.

I doubt there will be any meaningful mergers. Maybe a few desolate servers will get merged, so instead of there being 4 people on the entire planet, there will be 12.

The problem is the game engine. I dont think it is capable of handling the number of different characters at the same time in the same area as is Rift or WoW. That it the reason there are so many servers and the two sides are placed so far apart. That is why there is no open world pvp.

What we have is an MO game that is a lot like a single player RP game. It's nice, but it never will be a real MMO. That's too bad. It had a lot of things going for it.:(

Edited by Drunkenpig

This is why they are instituting rated warzones. Once the merges begin to happen, each guild that shares the same name will be given the title highlander. Guilds will fight for the right to have the name, and the losers will have to find a different server.

It's all in the patch notes.