Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High cpu usage and physical memory usage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
High cpu usage and physical memory usage

Nagamaru
02.21.2012 , 11:43 AM | #41
Same problems but with ram this game consumes 3.8GB of my 4GB of ram my cpu stays low.
Proud member of the 5% that can't play this game smoothly. This game

Nagamaru
02.21.2012 , 11:45 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Mysticales View Post
I gave up. I mean TOR finally gave me a reason to buy 8 GB ram.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I mean 4GB was fine and dandy.. till the day I played TOR. So I guess memory makers should pay TOR.. I mean 4GB fills up to 90%+ easily with only a browser open, maybe a chat, xfire going, plus steam. Kinda harder to multitask then. So 8 GB ram... should ease up everything, video gfx, room to multitask etc.
I'm not buying any upgrade Bioware conned me with the minimum specs I paid for the game and monthly fee and now I have to spend more money on my PC because of a crappy engine? NAHHHHH!
Proud member of the 5% that can't play this game smoothly. This game

Siriel
02.21.2012 , 06:30 PM | #43

I mean 4GB was fine and dandy.. till the day I played TOR. So I guess memory makers should pay TOR.. I mean 4GB fills up to 90%+ easily with only a browser open, maybe a chat, xfire going, plus steam. Kinda harder to multitask then. So 8 GB ram... should ease up everything, video gfx, room to multitask etc.
Make sure you have a 64 bit system or else you will still have only 4 GB of RAM (I learnt that the hard way )

Varilthes
02.25.2012 , 11:54 AM | #44
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Just Fyi this game does not have the ability to use over 4gb of ram. Since bioware is a bunch of lazy mofos this game is still running in 32 bit mode, which is why it runs two versions of the game at once to attempt to fool the system into running it in a 64 bit mode. But of course this uses more system resources and actually slows down your pc.

Again having more than 4gb of ram will NOT be seen by swtor until a 64 bit version of the game is released.

Mysticales
02.28.2012 , 01:52 PM | #45
8GB really helps with system performance while OR is running.. can finally browse or do whatever in the background again.

However new issue now, which Ill assume its due to the limits of a 32bit client. Getting silent crashes now. No error or so. I try to open an interface, silent crash. Only happens after alot of game time and zone changes. So I am thinking TOR used up too much ram for a 32bit client and crashed out.
~Battlez-avec la Mystique?~
SW:TOR Irc - webchat

Kormack_Solir
02.28.2012 , 05:08 PM | #46
With SWTOR running for the last 4 hrs I am sitting at %10 CPU in Game and 36% Mem usage overall.

I7 2600K
8GB Memory
Dual GTX 570 SLi
90% usage on master and 50% usage on slave. All settings Maxed @2560x1440
Solid 60 FPS (Vsync) 90-100 no Vsync
We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of thunder. We danced among the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder.

NatEccs
02.28.2012 , 05:42 PM | #47
i7-2600k
16gb ram

2 swtor process taking ~20% cpu
1.4GB ram consumed in imperial fleet

probably more consumed in a big planet

Siriel
02.28.2012 , 09:55 PM | #48
Happy to see the game runs great on computers with 8 to 16 GB of RAM and good CPUs, but it might not help people in this thread nor Bioware help those with less RAM, etc.

Anyhow, the RAM overloading issues do NOT happen on the fleets (of course) nor in Warzones and other instanced areas (OPs, Flashpoints, shard quests).

The issue happens on some large and open planet maps where about 1.2 extra GB of RAM gets stuck in memory and crashes the game or makes it unplayable. By 'stuck' I mean it will remain in the 'pagefile', even if I exited the game properly, until I re-boot the computer.

Constant conditions of RAM overload :
  • not related at all to players around : there can be none at all and barely 4 players on the planet at the time;
  • Alderaan in the Juran Mountains (not elsewhere) = rather deadly RAM overload;
  • Hoth - on certain spots of the central maps = same;
  • Does not occur elsewhere ;
  • Occurs even if SWTOR is the only software opened right after a re-boot (anti-virus utterly off, nothing else opened before, etc.).

( My specs : Windows XP 32 bits / 3.7 GB RAM.
No CPU issues on my side. Only RAM overload and crashes in the conditions named above.)

forcetalent
06.08.2012 , 06:01 AM | #49
Also having the same/similar problem.
Not running anything close to High-End but the specs should easily support decent gameplay.

My laptop specs taken from dxdiag
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
8192MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

My Desktop
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
4096MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

When I run the game on my laptop with Low Settings at 1080p res (native screen), it runs extremely smooth including the Space Station and still manages to look decent. After running around and opening a few Windows such as the Inventory or Character Windows, the game grinds to a halt and runs around 1fps and the only solution is to reboot. During this time, the laptop fan goes mental and the base of the laptop becomes extremely hot. Task Manager shows the CPU at 99-100% and RAM usage is extremely high.

When running the same settings on my Desktop PC, the game is generally playable (between 18-30fps) and never drops down to the 1fps as seen on the laptop. Also note the PC is slightly lower spec than the laptop and has half the RAM.

So I don't agree with the above post.

Naaruna
06.08.2012 , 10:52 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by forcetalent View Post
Also having the same/similar problem.
Not running anything close to High-End but the specs should easily support decent gameplay.

My laptop specs taken from dxdiag
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
8192MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

My Desktop
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
4096MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

When I run the game on my laptop with Low Settings at 1080p res (native screen), it runs extremely smooth including the Space Station and still manages to look decent. After running around and opening a few Windows such as the Inventory or Character Windows, the game grinds to a halt and runs around 1fps and the only solution is to reboot. During this time, the laptop fan goes mental and the base of the laptop becomes extremely hot. Task Manager shows the CPU at 99-100% and RAM usage is extremely high.

When running the same settings on my Desktop PC, the game is generally playable (between 18-30fps) and never drops down to the 1fps as seen on the laptop. Also note the PC is slightly lower spec than the laptop and has half the RAM.

So I don't agree with the above post.
What operating systems are the two respective computers running?