Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dual-blade Lightsabers

WutsInAName
02.08.2012 , 03:42 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Draaconis View Post
I disagree. Having double the slots in a dual lightsaber is no different than a Sentinel that weilds a light saber in each hand. The mods are not down graded there.

Except that a dual bladed lightsaber is single handed in SWTOR. Stupid yes? but thats how it is. Technically you should be able to dual weild dual blade sabers, so yea...

Hamsterkill
02.08.2012 , 04:03 PM | #12
Can you cite a particular instance where both sides of a dual-bladed saber continued to function after being split?

EDIT: Wookiepedia explains that a double bladed saber is a single lightsaber mechanism with two emitters. So I think the OP is mistaken.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Double-bladed_lightsaber

Some were later made that apparently were two connected lightsabers like Ventriss', but that probably doesn't happen until around the movies time period.

J-Sheridan
02.08.2012 , 05:14 PM | #13
Single sabers have been shown to use multiple crystals in the EU.

Corran Horn makes a saber that has 2 crystals in it and by twisting the hilt he changes what crystal is used to make the beam which changes its colour and length. Another student pulls it off as well with three crystals which allow him to have three lengths and a multi-colour rainbow effect.

Thus it has been established that single handed sabers alone can use multiple crystals and it can cause them to increase length, width and colour.

Would be logical it can be done with dual blades as well which could be rather interesting from a visual perspective but ingame its not going to have much impact on gameplay.

Unless your gonna do something really stupid like a toggle ability which suddenly increases all saber attacks to 10 meters because the blade is super big...

Would be more reasonable to attach a grenade launcher to the lightsaber or... turn it into a Andromeda Swiss-army Force Lance

thefishdude
02.08.2012 , 05:29 PM | #14
Not sure if you played the original KOTOR, but those double bladed light sabers had two crystal slots. Soooooo.....it's not really that outrageous of an idea or request. Especially since BioWare made the first game

Gantoris_Aym
02.08.2012 , 09:22 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Rein_Quest View Post
I think the Dual-blade should at least have 2 crystal slots. Your wielding 2 blades after-all so its not all that different from wielding 2 lightsabers.

This could be argued for the hilt too but I won't push my luck. I just want 2 colors really.
That's a really good point!

Hamsterkill
02.09.2012 , 09:11 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by thefishdude View Post
Not sure if you played the original KOTOR, but those double bladed light sabers had two crystal slots. Soooooo.....it's not really that outrageous of an idea or request. Especially since BioWare made the first game
The double-bladed sabers in the original KOTOR had the same number of crystal slots that the single sabers did -- one main color crystal and two "focusing" or "power" crystals.

VanorDM
02.09.2012 , 10:32 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Draaconis View Post
I disagree. Having double the slots in a dual lightsaber is no different than a Sentinel that weilds a light saber in each hand.
The main purpose behind the crystal is to provide a stat boost. Sentinels use two sabers, so they get two crystals. Shadows use a double bladed saber and a focus item in the off hand.

Both classes get the same amount of stat increasing items.

If a DBLS used two crystals, you'd have to cut the bonus in half, or otherwise the shadow gets 3 stat increasing items.

Rein_Quest
02.10.2012 , 12:14 PM | #18
I forgot about the focusing item. (Maybe its because I find it hard to get an upgrade that's worth it, bad luck on my part I'm sure.) Actually I'm surprised we get it because they call that a offhand slot and its really a two handed weapon.

I just think it would be nice with the lack of crystal colors to offer something to make it interesting or unique. It shouldn't be too hard to either lock the off-hand and make it like 2 sabers or nerf the stat to put 2 crystals in the dual-saber.

One slot a color only and the other a color + stat. Or something...

Also on the topic did Maul's saber actually stop working on one end or did he lose it when he was knocked back? That was a little unclear to me.