Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight Introspection and Sith Warrior Channel Hatred

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Jedi Knight Introspection and Sith Warrior Channel Hatred

Hyfy
01.28.2012 , 09:42 AM | #1
I have a 30 something Mara and just started running a Knight and as I clicked on Introspection to heal up a bit between fights a thought kind of occurred to me. While I am quite certain both are working as intended Introspection and Channel Hatred would seem to be counter-intuitive to their namesake. At least to the extent of how using it ultimately ends in your Focus/Rage, respectively, being reduced. Given their names you would think logically that they would make you more focused or more enraged (depending on your class).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not here saying "rawwwwwar they need to be changed!!1!11!11!" but it was more of an observation and a bit of curiosity as to if there was any plans to change how that mechanic worked. And NO I am not advocating either way that it should or shouldn't be either, just to cut those people off before they get all riled up.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

thecoffeecup
01.28.2012 , 10:12 AM | #2
I can certainly see why it works the way it does, but yes you're right. It's weird.

Just one of those times when gameplay mechanics get in the way of ingame logic.

JeedaiFiresaber
01.28.2012 , 11:56 AM | #3
I never thought of it that way, but yeah that does make sense....

Hyfy
01.28.2012 , 02:31 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JeedaiFiresaber View Post
I never thought of it that way, but yeah that does make sense....
Yeah it just struck me as weird, because here I am meditating and focusing my abilities and all the while losing focus, and like I said just seemed counter intuitive.

gibmachine
01.28.2012 , 05:26 PM | #5
If you stand idle and do nothing out of combat, your rage / focus drops down anyway. It's game mechanics and while I'd definately like to keep, say, 10 rage when I leave combat with 10 rage, it's rather common for rage-like resource to slowly deteriorate outside combat.

Leiloni
01.28.2012 , 06:19 PM | #6
Your focus/rage goes down over time naturally, not because of Introspection/Channel Hatred. If you read the tooltips, those skills are only supposed to regen HP. There would be no reason anyway to lower your focus/rage.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

Dionlight
01.28.2012 , 08:33 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
Your focus/rage goes down over time naturally, not because of Introspection/Channel Hatred. If you read the tooltips, those skills are only supposed to regen HP. There would be no reason anyway to lower your focus/rage.
I think they are just wondering why the self healing spells are named as such. The idea of Channel Hatred should be to gain more rage( because you're channeling your hatred).

"IM SO ANGRY I HEAL MYSELF!!!!!"

oh btw nice hat!

Hyfy
01.28.2012 , 10:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
I understand how the mechanic works and why it works the way it does. It's more of questioning the naming of the ability as it would imply the while meditating you are focusing or when you are "channeling hatred" you would by the very nature of the words raging.

Rabbio
01.29.2012 , 08:48 AM | #9
Think of it this way, the resource focus/rage deals with your character's external focus/rage related to their enemies. A Jedi gains power by focused anticipation of how combat will unfold. A Sith gains power by directing their anger towards combat.

The two recovery abilities deal with redirecting that focus/rage to themselves. Rather than the extrospection required to maintain combat focus, the Jedi uses introspection to heal their wounds. Rather than focusing on furious blows to their enemies, the Sith becomes angry at themselves to recover from damage.

Neither ability is about generating more rage or focus. It's about redirecting their existing "force" to another purpose.