Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High cpu usage and physical memory usage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
High cpu usage and physical memory usage

jabalolwut
01.24.2012 , 09:34 PM | #21
I use GPU-Z to whatch my gpu usage and this game puts a big load on the gpu. I dont think your computer would ever get past the splash screen if it wasnt useing the GPU at all.

Lamuse
01.24.2012 , 09:49 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalmac View Post
I am running a Mac Pro Quad Core Xeon with 8 internal cores. 2.93 Ghz and 6 Gig of RAM using a ATI 4870 video card. Running Windows 7 Professional. It runs off of a 1 Tb Sansung HD103UJ SATA 3 so this system is no where near the lower middle recommended.

Since 1.1 patch fans run almost full blast on video card and computer. The Mac Pro has 7 fans so it gets real noisy fast.

What ever they did in this patch is BROKEN the only other time my computer ever did this was a CRAPPY PATCH done by Blizzard in WoW.

This Patch is a mess and 100% of the problem we have.

The game is even worse for crashing and locking up. Please examine your code for errors.
Try this, I found this out the other day. Even though I have v-sync turned ON in the preferences, it was OFF. I clicked the button off, hit apply, clicked the button on, hit apply and my FPS went to 60fps like it should (it was 110fps before) and my video card temps went down 10*C and the fans slowed back down to where they normally are.

As for CPU usage, i5 2500k, 2 cores running around 40% usage and memory, well with 16gb of ram, with the game, vent and just a browser window I'm using 25% and never moves showing no memory leaks on my end at all.

TherealTasarak
01.24.2012 , 09:57 PM | #23
I have been in Ilum/Warfronts all day and I have not seen this amount of disconnects, crashes since I have been playing. When I do crash the CPU/Memory (cpu 1-5% usage - memory 100% ) the game hangs or crashes & I have to do hardboot. This has happend atleast 7 times today. Please fix.

AMD Phenom II X3 720
Win 7 Pro - 64
4GIG DDRII
GTX 570
Quote:
The Grey Knights

Hikashi
01.24.2012 , 11:08 PM | #24
I'm having this issue as well. Prior to the patch, I could run the game without a hitch almost fully maxed (I always turn shadows all the way off). Since then, I can only "play" for a few minutes before having lots of the slowdown.

Vista 64 Home
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33
1gb Radeon 5570 HD
4gb RAM

Siriel
01.25.2012 , 09:05 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandaman View Post
I tried your fixes and i had a small fps jump in game, but nothing helped the CPU usage
Aye, CPU was not my issue, it was my RAM getting fully used very very quickly on planets (5 to 10 minutes) and forcing the game to stutter to a stop or crash.

My hints are as follows :

* I believe the LOW Texture setting has bugs and a possible memory leak (about 1 Gb getting stuck in the virtual memory even after close).

EDIT : my theory is this was caused by the fact that my NVIDIA video card was imposing high quality textures while the in-game setting was imposing Low Texture. The incoherence between the two may explain why I suddenly had about 1.4 Gb of extra RAM in use. Yet, maybe not, as now I have High Textures set in-game, but with NVIDIA Performance imposed. So, I don't know, but it works very well now.

* Maybe some settings set in game are not really applied, such as turning anti-aliasing off or turning vertical sync off. Setting these off in your video card preferences should do the trick.

Again, that is mostly RAM (as it was unplayable before with my 2.8 Gb real RAM). Have not experienced a grave problem with CPU, I just make sure the computer is well cooled/ventilated.

Gorshamaniac
01.27.2012 , 07:09 AM | #26
its running 2 instances of swort... i didnt notice that before.. im able to play fine but on an empty server usually no more than 20 ppl..but my cpu went to max. yes im running win7 64..and have two swort(32) running. if i kill either it kills the game.

Ravenstormer
01.27.2012 , 10:52 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
Aye, CPU was not my issue, it was my RAM getting fully used very very quickly on planets (5 to 10 minutes) and forcing the game to stutter to a stop or crash.

My hints are as follows :

* I believe the LOW Texture setting has bugs and a possible memory leak (about 1 Gb getting stuck in the virtual memory even after close).

EDIT : my theory is this was caused by the fact that my NVIDIA video card was imposing high quality textures while the in-game setting was imposing Low Texture. The incoherence between the two may explain why I suddenly had about 1.4 Gb of extra RAM in use. Yet, maybe not, 'cause not I have High Textures set in-game, but with NVIDIA Performance imposed. So, I don't know, but it works very well now.

* Maybe some settings set in game are not really applied, such as turning anti-aliasing off or turning vertical sync off. Setting these off in your video card preferences should do the trick.

Again, that is mostly RAM (as it was unplayable before with my 2.8 Gb real RAM). Have not experienced a grave problem with CPU, I just make sure the computer is well cooled/ventilated.
You sir, are a legend. I switched my textures from low to high after nearly tearing my hair out trying to figure out why the game kept crashing my PC due to filling up my 4GB of RAM. And now it's running perfectly - it's also solved the problems I was having with missing textures in the first place (enemies not showing up, them being funny colours, missing weapons, stuff like that).
"Dammit, get down from there b'fore y'cause yerself a mischief!"
Rione Ravenstormer
- Formerly of Eclipse (now on Ebon Hawk) - Maan Ade Mandalore

Rikeryo
01.27.2012 , 10:59 AM | #28
it's so sad that a paying customer has to fix issues himself, cuz bioware can't.
5% club member

Xaeberain
01.27.2012 , 11:04 AM | #29
Thanks for the tip on Memory Cleaner! It's a lifesaver. I went from 95 to 100% usage down to 40% on my cpu and dropped about 50% usage of my memory.

zorroazul
01.27.2012 , 12:12 PM | #30
Yeah, thank you so much for mentioning Memory Cleaner!!!! This little program really changed the way I play SWTOR!