Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Point of this Launch?

12.14.2011 , 01:24 AM | #1
I wont get in until Thursday or Friday. I'm realistic and I know that. This isn't about that. This thread is about the staggered launch and why they're doing it. I don't actually quite get it. Let's think about it:

BW/EA want to stagger their launch to make sure there are zero queues, zero crashes and in general a better server health. This is totally fine, I think them doing this is actually quite intelligent. However, I think they've gone about it wrong.

If BW/EA need to stagger their launch to stop the servers from crashing, having queues, or in general being obtusely laggy then what happens when everyone eventually gets access to the servers and they are full? If the servers can handle being pushed to their maximum capacity to begin with, I see no reason why to not just let everyone get thrown in. If the servers, on the other hand, cannot handle a mass injection of people logging in then how will the servers cope post-launch?

Assuming 1 million players are distributed among US servers and the same for EU distribution. If the servers cannot handle this amount of people logging in all together, thus the reason for a staggered launch process, surely the game's official launch would need to be staggered too? Simply because the servers aren't able to handle this mass influx of logins.

For my, personally, staggering a launch to "safe test" servers doesn't seem to make a modicum of sesnse. Or, perhaps, is the staggered launch a method of 'rewarding' "loyalty" - ie; earlier pre-orders get in faster, thus rewarding them for their pre-order loyalty. If it's the latter, then yes, that makes sense.
WoW Responsiveness vs SWTOR responsiveness

12.14.2011 , 01:26 AM | #2
because the login servers can't handle it, nor can the starter zones

12.14.2011 , 01:29 AM | #3
i would much rather them do it the way they are doing it instead of waiting till the 20th and opening the floodgates to 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 people and CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the servers go down...dont you?
"Impressive....most Impressive....but you're not a jedi yet!"

12.14.2011 , 01:29 AM | #4
Because this is not the launch ... Launch is on 20 december. Now they are giving just some bonus days

12.14.2011 , 01:29 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by fatduck View Post
because the login servers can't handle it, nor can the starter zones
So you actually believed their bs?

12.14.2011 , 01:30 AM | #6
Look in the dev tracker. Stephen Reid goes into detail on this subject.

I'll post a small portion here:
First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

12.14.2011 , 01:32 AM | #7
Stephen Reid has posted multiple times on the exact reasons for this, and none of them have to do with overall server load. I strongly encourage to you look up his posts for further details.

12.14.2011 , 01:34 AM | #8
They did it this way so they could stress test their forum servers. They really needed everyone to post their feelings on information that has been available since the beginning of preorders.

12.14.2011 , 01:43 AM | #9
Servers can't handle all logins at the same time, or login server too small????

Well let's see what will happen during post-launch with millions of players waiting to login after servers maintenance. What will BW do???? Again several waves to let all players login again?
Elder Jedi / SWG Ahazi R.I.P. 15th December 2011