Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Early-Access Invites

lorbfan
12.14.2011 , 01:16 AM | #11
Not to mention that a friend of mine who preordered after me got in with the first set. Where I did not. There is randomness involved. I call BS. Up until my invite comes I will continue to call BS. When mine comes I will stop calling BS, not because i no longer think it's BS but because i will simply be too busy to call BS. I will still think it's bs.

Salryc
12.14.2011 , 01:19 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by sparkvolt View Post
/facepalm

I cannot even begin to fathom how naive some people are.

The "first come first serve" works well in scenarios of limited supply. There is no limited supply here. It is a marketing and sales strategy designed with a specific purpose of creating virtually limited supply.

The less supply the higher the demand. I bet you if they said everyone who pre-orders the copy gets early access the same day there would be no spikes. Some people would buy it sooner some people would buy it later.

However, saying that it's "first come first serve" created a huge sales spikes and brought in a lot of money on the first day. If I was to go to investors I'd do the same thing they did and say "look! we announced game and sold over 9000 copies in an hour alone!"

First come first serve does not apply in this case. It is a virtually applicable construct created by marketing and sales team at Bioware, and now they can't go back and reverse it as it would appear too shallow and would aggrevate even more people. They have to stick with it.

And Bioware is a company, and companies are meant, by design, to make money. The successful ones do just that. Oddly, in this case, not only is it great marketing, but it's also good customer support. Those who are willing to cancel their pre orders over this, statistically, are those who would not be long term investors (i.e. players) of the game. Hence, by catering to those who are pleased by a stable launch, with free game time (since these days do not count off from the free 30 days we get with the game purchase) they are making a good impression in the customer base that matters, those most likely to stick with the game, and invest money monthly.
Luxx Solaris
It's not about how much I'd sell my soul for - It's about how much I can get paid for yours!
December Procrastinator
I will get to it eventually

Mytilus
12.14.2011 , 01:24 AM | #13
I went to McDonalds.....

Shoved to the front of the queue, pull out my gun and demanded all the cash from the till and a big mac with cheese.

I then left the store with exactly what i went in for and didn't have to queue at all even though i wasn't first in.

Give me early access now or the funny man gets it!
To accept the futility of life and the finality of death ensures an eternity of peaceful rest. It is those who seek eternal life that condemn their souls to an eternity of torment wandering the land in limbo searching for that which does not exist.

Darkprowler
12.14.2011 , 01:30 AM | #14
Here's the part I don't understand... if having everybody attempting to log in at the same time is going to cause such system instability that it could impact the entire game, how in the world do they intend on performing maintenance? One server at a time? Yeah... they could do that. Unless, of course, they wanted to do something with the authentication servers or something.

And what about 12/20? We'll have the entire preorder group, along with an unknown number of retail sale players attempting to log in at the same time after they bring the servers back up. How is this any different? They won't even know what they need to do to plan for it because they haven't attempted it yet. Should we be planning on a 12/21 retail start since the servers may melt on 12/20? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think if it were me that I'd want to try my damnedest to break the servers during Early Access (when players aren't guaranteed access due to some crafty legalese) just so I had a good window to get them fixed in before retail when it really counts.

They can let people trickle in now by the teaspoonful, pat themselves on the back and tell the media what a successful launch they're having, but it's smoke and mirrors. They haven't proven anything yet, except how well they can ignore upset customers posting in their forums. That's my take on it anyway.

And for the folks who will inevitably want to post all the 'self-entitled' insults at my mere suggestion that BW may be doing this wrong; Sorry, just don't care. Thanks anyway.

Salryc
12.14.2011 , 01:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkprowler View Post
Here's the part I don't understand... if having everybody attempting to log in at the same time is going to cause such system instability that it could impact the entire game, how in the world do they intend on performing maintenance? One server at a time? Yeah... they could do that. Unless, of course, they wanted to do something with the authentication servers or something.

And what about 12/20? We'll have the entire preorder group, along with an unknown number of retail sale players attempting to log in at the same time after they bring the servers back up. How is this any different? They won't even know what they need to do to plan for it because they haven't attempted it yet. Should we be planning on a 12/21 retail start since the servers may melt on 12/20? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think if it were me that I'd want to try my damnedest to break the servers during Early Access (when players aren't guaranteed access due to some crafty legalese) just so I had a good window to get them fixed in before retail when it really counts.

They can let people trickle in now by the teaspoonful, pat themselves on the back and tell the media what a successful launch they're having, but it's smoke and mirrors. They haven't proven anything yet, except how well they can ignore upset customers posting in their forums. That's my take on it anyway.

And for the folks who will inevitably want to post all the 'self-entitled' insults at my mere suggestion that BW may be doing this wrong; Sorry, just don't care. Thanks anyway.
Ideally they are giving people a week of uninterrupted play time. Note that I said ideally. Maintenance is scheduled at the end of early access. Usually, this is enough time for people to get the initial addiction out of their system, and start sleeping at night again (or working, or what ever). With maint being done later, after peak play time, there will be less strain when the servers come back up. Again, ideally, speaking from a business only perspective.

I also understand that we MMO players are a strange group, and are likely to hit those servers hard. But no one has the ability to predict the future, only to make logical guesses at it.

Keep in mind that this early access is also helping them to determine how many servers they will need, with out producing too many (keeping costs effective while maintaining a viable community after the initial rush of crazed players, myself included). Having that idea of the number of servers needed will help them make those post maint relaunches (for lack of a better term) as painless as possible.
Luxx Solaris
It's not about how much I'd sell my soul for - It's about how much I can get paid for yours!
December Procrastinator
I will get to it eventually