PVP Attitude - No Wonder

Mistwisp

My sorc wrecks Huttballs... We pass to anyone that is open... Assuming that everyone, no matter how new they are, knows how to pass the balls again or at least heads in the right direction for a score.

A new player has no understanding of when it's the right moment to use Extrication or Force Run or Overload or their bubble. It's confusing, mainly because if you put your bubble up (and you're not 51) you're literally out of defensive cooldowns. Passing to a sorcerer who doesn't have the experience to handle his attackers (who will be focusing him, knowing how much easier it is to get a sorc down), he will be dead in a matter of seconds.

but this is not about sorcs in particular. Anyone can score if they know what they're doing and they're LOSing, running/leaping, stunning and, most importantly, passing correctly.

When someone clearly states he doesn't and keeps ending up with the ball, it is only natural that will have a very bad first experience.

So this is how it went down:

OP goes into game, rarely casts heals/is fairly useless and gets the ball, does not pass and dies repeatedly.

OP then gets either tells or in chat people start berating her, causing her to cast even less heals and start a long typed out response while doing nothing in game.

OP has vote kick initiated on her, but shes still engaged in chat battles and cant be bothered to move/heal/act in game, resulting in /kick.

OP comes to forum to tell sob story, tells only the half that relates to some wrong being done to her, and is shouted down about the inconsistencies in her story based on the game rules for vote kick.

news at 11.

So tonight I tried to play my first ever Huttball match. Playing on a sorceror, and apparently I kept getting passed the ball.

I was just focussing on healing people because I had been told that was what I was supposed to do.

Told the group before the match started that this was my first time at this PVP set up.

Booted mid match for sucking at ball carrying?

If this is normal for PVP'ers with newish players then no wonder no-one paysmuch attention to them.

When I asked why I was kicked after the match, the answer was "you suck".

Fair enough I suppose! First try, thought I was healing OK?

I wonder why more people don't PVP after the first day!

Don't sweat it.

People aren't too forgiving in the heat of a match. So that's never the best place to look for consolation. I've never PVPed in other games, so I ended up making my own set of noob mistakes as well, like when I'd remapped the Huttball toss to another key for another warzone, getting int he middle of a Huttball match and not being able to throw the ball and not understanding why.

Just pick yourself up and head back into the zones. You can also check out the various guides written on each warzone and tactics and techniques for each. Those will help your play out quite a bit.

OP, like many here, I am confused at the votekick you claim you got. I'm not going to call you a liar, because that implies a willful campaign of misinformation, which I hope are not your intentions. I personally believe (because I always give ppl a chance) that there is some confusion on your part, and that the exact details would forever be lost in translation. Not a lot we can do about that, so I'll lay that point to rest now.

It was a huge mistake for the team to pass you the ball, especially as you admitted you are new to PVP and have yet to fully learn how it works.

Also, they should not have passed you the ball because you are a healer! :eek: I shall explain why. Even before 2.0 launched, healers were prime targets in PVP (like they are in PVE) so players would ever CC you, or kill you ASAP. this ideology has only strengthened since healers got a buff in 2.0.

Unknown to you, one of the other team had likely put a "marker" on you, to illustrate to the rest of the team that you are a priority target. Sorry kid, but you probably had a massive, bright green :sy_item: over your head. I'm sure from PVE, you are familiar with this symbol. The other team would likely see that and focus on you more than most.

Now as far as huttball is concerned, Sorcerers can be very useful at carrying the ball. Yes, they are squishy with little defence and hitpoints. However, they also have great CC and the force speed is critical at dodging those firepits. Also, static barrier FTW :D In all honesty, that is probably why the team passed you the ball.

When you start a Huttball match, you get an ability added to your toolbar. Unfortunately, you are not made away of this with any notification. I spose that's one for the suggestion box hehe. The symbol will look like this. As others have mentioned, it works like an AoE, except instead of your factions insignia, it is a large blue circle representing a Huttball. Of course, you need to make sure a friendly player is within that circle in order to make a successful pass.

As far as how you were spoken too, you are right, that was out of line. I would like to also point out that a couple of choice forum members are displaying a very hostile attitude in this thread :mad: shame on you people!

My advice, try joining with a friend or guild member, preferably someone who has experience in PVP and can whisper the odd hint. Also try to play as defense as much as possible while you get to grips with each of the maps. That way, you can observe what other players are doing (as defense, you should be doing this anyway!) and pick up some ideas on how people play PVP.

Finally (this was only meant to be a few lines long haha!), don't let one bad experience put you off PVP. After all, negative behavior exists in PVE too. I'm sure you have taken your fair share of licks in FP's and OPs when it comes to player behavior. However, like FP's and OP's, PVP also has some very decent people who understand that being new to PVP is a very different experience than being new in FP's and OP's. these people are the ones who will be happy to give you help, and will keep close to you as often as they can to keep an eye on you while you learn the basics.

My last hutball match someone passed me the ball next to our line, yup our line. i was defending. The guy or gal (who knows they all wear dresses) started screaming at me ( this is the person who passed me the ball btw ) for being right back there attacking 3 of the other side who were on the pass pass pass standing ( you know what i mean ) whilst i had the ball.

so little old me, ran like buggery all the way to the other side, just about to score and threw the ball back at him/her just for the hell of it. shut them up anyhows.

Point of the story is you will get people in pvp who are jesus reborn, they know it all, they are the coach ( in there head) and the best pvper ever to have been born ( in there heads).

You just have to get used to it.

Edited by Shingara

My last hutball match someone passed me the ball next to our line, yup our line. i was defending. The guy or gal (who knows they all wear dresses) started screaming at me ( this is the person who passed me the ball btw ) for being right back there attacking 3 of the other side who were on the pass pass pass standing ( you know what i mean ) whilst i had the ball.

so little old me, ran like buggery all the way to the other side, just about to score and threw the ball back at him/her just for the hell of it. shut them up anyhows.

Point of the story is you will get people in pvp who are jesus reborn, they know it all, they are the coach ( in there head) and the best pvper ever to have been born ( in there heads).

You just have to get used to it.

There sheer fact you made it from your goal line to theirs actually makes me believe there IS a god out there lol!

lulz at most pvpers on this thread

i like how most of you guys went accuse the OP of afking because he got kicked.

protip for you guys: you still can get kick for a vote even if you arent afking. how you may ask? simply by not doing damage to an enemy...which what the OP said. he was HEALING. believe or not, healing doesnt qualify as attacking the enemy ands still will get you kick from a wz... weird, i know. :rolleyes:

as other said, there are some jerks in WZ (alot of them is on this thread), dont let you discourage you man :)

Thats impressive!

I've never actually seen the /vote-to-kick option work ever!

You obviously weren'te contributing at all in this match, as healing or attacking an enemy will instantly cancel the vote to kick count. So obviously, you were worth kicking.

Welcome to pvp though!

Edited by SOULCASTER

lulz at most pvpers on this thread

i like how most of you guys went accuse the OP of afking because he got kicked.

protip for you guys: you still can get kick for a vote even if you arent afking. how you may ask? simply by not doing damage to an enemy...which what the OP said. he was HEALING. believe or not, healing doesnt qualify as attacking the enemy ands still will get you kick from a wz... weird, i know. :rolleyes:

as other said, there are some jerks in WZ (alot of them is on this thread), dont let you discourage you man :)

Healing people in combat puts you in combat, which is why you can't just heal someone else in combat and then go right into stealth (as an operative). That would be broken.

Healers are often TARGETED in warzones almost immediately. I doubt that he was able to remain untargeted whilst healing long enough to not get attacked by another player and disable the VTK timer. Not to mention the mass amount of AoE in this game. It's almost impossible to be in the fray and NOT get hit by something at all.

So either he was standing in the spawn zone for too long, wasn't doing anything at all, or simply got DCed.

That's the end of it. Don't give protips if you have no idea what you're talking about next time.

I've never actually seen the /vote-to-kick option work ever!

Neither have I.

Edited by SystemProcess

Healing people in combat puts you in combat, which is why you can't just heal someone else in combat and then go right into stealth (as an operative). That would be broken.

Healers are often TARGETED in warzones almost immediately. I doubt that he was able to remain untargeted whilst healing long enough to not get attacked by another player and disable the VTK timer. Not to mention the mass amount of AoE in this game. It's almost impossible to be in the fray and NOT get hit by something at all.

So either he was standing in the spawn zone for too long, wasn't doing anything at all, or simply got DCed.

That's the end of it. Don't give protips if you have no idea what you're talking about next time.

there were times where i personally VTK ppl that were afk and try to heal other player as a way to cancel the VTK, but fail do so and got kicked; however, i will admit, after trying the OP scenario in huttball with my sorc (asking member of my team to team kick me on 3 different occasion) , i can say that i was wrong, but not for you reasons. the reason why i wasnt kicked was because healing consecutively (like 4+ time) award healing points and since points contribute to the wz objective, it cancel the VTK.

Edited by astrobearx

there were times where i personally VTK ppl that were afk and try to heal other player as a way to cancel the VTK, but fail do so and got kicked; however, i will admit, after trying the OP scenario in huttball with my sorc (asking member of my team to team kick me on 3 different occasion) , i can say that i was wrong, but not for you reasons. the reason why i wasnt kicked was because healing consecutively (like 4+ time) award healing points and since points contribute to the wz objective, it cancel the VTK.

So... I was basically right. If he is a healer, as stated, and was doing his job by healing, he shouldn't have gotten kicked because he would have probably healed 4x in a row unless he was just standing there not doing his job. (AKA doing nothing)

Not to mention, it breaks when you engage in combat with another player, and healers/ballcarriers are always targeted by at least SOMEONE within a few minutes. You can't tell me nobody tried to kill you.

Also, just throwing a random heal on a player at full/not in combat would probably not break the VTK timer, no.

Edited by SystemProcess

Yeah bro you can't get kicked unless you have been out of combat for a long time. So not only are you not passing the ball, but apparently at some point you were doing nothing for an extended period of time. Don't get pissed at the other players, learn from this experience and recognize that warzones are about objectives. I.e. scoring the ball. You need to learn to balance your healing with focusing on objectives.

So tonight I tried to play my first ever Huttball match. Playing on a sorceror, and apparently I kept getting passed the ball.

I was just focussing on healing people because I had been told that was what I was supposed to do.

Told the group before the match started that this was my first time at this PVP set up.

Booted mid match for sucking at ball carrying?

If this is normal for PVP'ers with newish players then no wonder no-one paysmuch attention to them.

When I asked why I was kicked after the match, the answer was "you suck".

Fair enough I suppose! First try, thought I was healing OK?

I wonder why more people don't PVP after the first day!

I am pretty sure vote kicking happens far more often in PvP, Most people don't even bother with vote kicking, since upon entering a combat that becomes void. So, I guess you were standing around somewhere (quite possible in the respawn point) and just spamming the chat... like you did the forums with this useless thread. Next time read about all the warzones work, before queueing, and don't don't come here or start in the game insulting other people when you just don't understand even the basics of the game (like who throwing a huttball works or how the automatically warzone kick works).