Commando's are garbage in pvp

Lattervane

Let me start off by saying that I love the Commando AC. Gunnery spec is fun and blasting away with an assault cannon brings me joy. That being said, Commando's are absolutely trash in pvp. No escape and relatively low survivability when compared to classes that bubble, have force speed, stealth, etc. Snipers and gunslingers do well in cover, as it actually provides them with various defense bonuses. Commando's just get jumped to and raped...hard, fast, and easily.

I beg of you bioware, fix this class. How can you give so many other AC's so much utility and survability and then dump all over Commando's and Merc's. Seriousy...get it together for this class soon. It's sickening.

Commandos exist to enable smash monkeys to leap across hazards, change their z-axis, or jump instantly to the node/objective/goal-line. We also help them with their damage scores and kill numbers, and often hand the node over to them in a gift box without ever firing a shot. It's a new concept in class design.

wow... learn to play. first is u run gunnery tree u can instanta cast advance med probe with 5 stacks of charged barrel which isn't hard to get, plus u get bonus healing in that tree if u choose to, plus u get added DR from charged barrier(i think thats what it's called might be wrong) i don't like the root but its there if u want it. In the assualt tree u reduce ur cd on your shield with damage and crits reduce ur adrenden rush cd, also in the tree u can add to your DR.

In both trees if you chose u can add slow to different moves.

i have no problem beating any other class, yes some are harder then others but gunslingers in cover are easy pickings, u have moiblity over them. use los sticky and if ur using assualy dot them and assault plastic with gunnery sticky get a few gav rounds out and smash em with demo round and HiB and remember you can heal they can't.

mara are fun, even more when then leap on me knock back and beat on em, it all comes down to dps and u can beat them.

the shadow/assa stealthers are harder but it takes a bit of skill and some luck with one on ones and u can beat them.

scoundrel/ operations lol never hard to beat, oh u poisoned me, cleanse gone. oh that dodge thing is 3sec long so sticky and demo round if both are on cd expolsive round.

sage/sorc that bubble is annoying but don't waste ur hardest ur hits on the bubble and u should be fine.

juggs/guardians mostly the same as mara/sents but i usually save my cryo for them if the releap to me

vanguards.. not fun but range is ur friend here as a dps spec van only has a pull and its 45sec long 30sec if speced into.

wow... learn to play. first is u run gunnery tree u can instanta cast advance med probe with 5 stacks of charged barrel which isn't hard to get, plus u get bonus healing in that tree if u choose to, plus u get added DR from charged barrier(i think thats what it's called might be wrong) i don't like the root but its there if u want it. In the assualt tree u reduce ur cd on your shield with damage and crits reduce ur adrenden rush cd, also in the tree u can add to your DR.

i have no problem beating any other class, yes some are harder then others but gunslingers in cover are easy pickings, u have moiblity over them. use los sticky and if ur using assualy dot them and assault plastic with gunnery sticky get a few gav rounds out and smash em with demo round and HiB and remember you can heal they can't.

mara are fun, even more when then leap on me knock back and beat on em, it all comes down to dps and u can beat them.

the shadow/assa stealthers are harder but it takes a bit of skill and some luck with one on ones and u can beat them.

scoundrel/ operations lol never hard to beat, oh u poisoned me, cleanse gone. oh that dodge thing is 3sec long so sticky and demo round if both are on cd expolsive round.

sage/sorc that bubble is annoying but don't waste ur hardest ur hits on the bubble and u should be fine.

juggs/guardians mostly the same as mara/sents but i usually save my cryo for them if the releap to me

vanguards.. not fun but range is ur friend here as a dps spec van only has a pull and its 45sec long 30sec if speced into.

Against any competent opponent you aren't going to get 5 stacks of Charged Barrel unless you managed to get them before going into the fight. Even then, an AMP might give you 3K healing, if it crits, which usually isn't enough to save you.

To get the full benefit of either Demo Round or HiB you are going to need to get off 3 Grav Rounds which, like I said, against any competent player you aren't going to do. Same goes for the 5% Damage Reduction with Charged Barrel. Against a decent smasher that can get between 5-6K crits, you just saved 250-300HP. While better than nothing, it's still not going to really save you.

Maras/Sents: No, you aren't going to beat them in a burst race. They have more ways to shut you, and your damage, down than you have to keep them at range.

Shadows/Assasins: Same as above.

Sage/Sorc: You break about even with them.

Guardians/Juggs: A little bit easier then Maras/Sents but you have the same problem. They have more ways to shut down your damage than you have in getting it out.

VG/Pyro: If you manage to stay at range, you have a bit of a chance. If they get their pull off, you are going to eat a cryo grenade, ion pulse, Demo Charge which will be followed by a HiB so it and the charge do damage at the same time. There might even be an IR thrown in there just for good measure. You have just taken 10k, or more, worth of damage before you got your Concussion Charge off.

Sure, you can LoS but that works both ways. You break their LoS and you buy yourself a few seconds to heal up a bit but at the same time, you have given them time to reclose the gap. Against any class except for the sage/sorc you are not going to win a burst DPS race.

Edited by DariusCalera

Against any competent opponent you aren't going to get 5 stacks of Charged Barrel unless you managed to get them before going into the fight. Even then, an AMP might give you 3K healing, if it crits, which usually isn't enough to save you.

To get the full benefit of either Demo Round or HiB you are going to need to get off 3 Grav Rounds which, like I said, against any competent player you aren't going to do. Same goes for the 5% Damage Reduction with Charged Barrel. Against a decent smasher that can get between 5-6K crits, you just saved 250-300HP. While better than nothing, it's still not going to really save you.

Maras/Sents: No, you aren't going to beat them in a burst race. They have more ways to shut you, and your damage, down than you have to keep them at range.

Guardians/Juggs: A little bit easier then Maras/Sents but you have the same problem. They have more ways to shut down your damage than you have in getting it out.

VG/Pyro: If you manage to stay at range, you have a bit of a chance. If they get their pull off, you are going to eat a cryo grenade, ion pulse, Demo Charge which will be followed by a HiB so it and the charge do damage at the same time. There might even be an IR thrown in there just for good measure. You have just taken 10k, or more, worth of damage before you got your Concussion Charge off.

Sure, you can LoS but that works both ways. You break their LoS and you buy yourself a few seconds to heal up a bit but at the same time, you have given them time to reclose the gap. Against any class except for the sage/sorc you are not going to win a burst DPS race.

But once we get our escape we will be fixed!! :rolleyes:

Commando - the Sir Robin of warzones

This from he of the 5k grav rounds and 7k HiB? Sorry dude but you have no PVP credibility.

your point view, but w/e. i usually end up having 5 stacks of charged barrel most of the warzone, but im guessing u rush in to stockstrike juggs/maras and get owned or making a rage post becuase u are a jugg and mad that commandos stand a pretty fair chance at beating you.

btw for classes that shutdown with stuns resolve is ur friend and countless time i beaten assasins/shadows/mara/sent on a full resolve bar, it all bout using ur cc breaker at the right time.

my post is saying that commando do stand up fairly well aganst similar geared classes on 1on1s and if u can't see that then don't play a commando as u will never make a good commando.

there are some classes that do better aganst other classes, but it usally comes down to skill with a bit of gearing in pvp not ur playing the wrong class.

your point view, but w/e. i usually end up having 5 stacks of charged barrel most of the warzone, but im guessing u rush in to stockstrike juggs/maras and get owned or making a rage post becuase u are a jugg and mad that commandos stand a pretty fair chance at beating you.

btw for classes that shutdown with stuns resolve is ur friend and countless time i beaten assasins/shadows/mara/sent on a full resolve bar, it all bout using ur cc breaker at the right time.

my post is saying that commando do stand up fairly well aganst similar geared classes on 1on1s and if u can't see that then don't play a commando as u will never make a good commando.

there are some classes that do better aganst other classes, but it usally comes down to skill with a bit of gearing in pvp not ur playing the wrong class.

Stop playing bads then. Which they are if they're letting you free cast.

There is not a single commando on these threads that will say that, given equal gear and skill, a commando stands a chance against anything besides another commando or a sorc in a 1 on 1 fight.

are you from the future or the past?

i'm hoping it's the future, but you are certainly not posting from the present.

Edited by oaceen

Stop playing bads then. Which they are if they're letting you free cast.

There is not a single commando on these threads that will say that, given equal gear and skill, a commando stands a chance against anything besides another commando or a sorc in a 1 on 1 fight.

This is very true. I know I've played very well if I can get them to 1/3 health before I drop. And I know they're terrible if I can beat them (which happens a lot, and that's why we have so many people saying commandos are fine - there's just a lot of bad players playing well-designed classes). But put me on any of my alts and I will outperform my commando and have a much more enjoyable time doing it (despite the fact that I know Gunnery inside-&-out compared to my alts).

we like other classes and its the same cooldown. i think u just don't use or know what it is. btw its called Tenacity

Pretty sure you are trollin...but I know exactly what Tenacity is. When I was referring to our escape I was making a joke about what BW has said they believe is the 1 thing Commando's need to be viable in PVP and that's their lack of ability to recreate space when they get jumped by a melee. Which just shows their pure ignorance of how Gunnery works. The Stockstrike root nerf is 1 example. Concussion Charge does not stop the SW from leaping right back at me, or the Assassin from hitting force speed and removing the snare immediately and being back in my face in the time I MIGHT have gotten 1 GR off, assuming it wasn't interrupted, which it probably was. So now I can't build stacks so my effectiveness is crap, I can't escape because I only have 1 escape move that I've already used and my CDs suck so I can't survive for help to arrive. So I just die hoping to maybe take 1/4 of their health before I have to revive.

If you are having success it's because all your opponents are terrible and don't know how to use their interrupts and/or you are doing only lowbie PVP against a bunch of FTP scrubs. Find your way into the 50 PVP scene or try to get into a ranked WZ and let me know how that works out for you.

Ok, I hate to rain on everyone hating parade but the gunnery commando is not that bad. Are we at the bottom of the dps totem pole. Debatable. We share the role of peon with lethality operatives, concealment operatives (the ones without min/max gear), madness assassins, dps sorcs, and vengence jugs. So for starters its not that lonely at the bottom.

For continuation, don't underestimate the power of your dps. We can put some serious hurt on people if we set the fight up on our own terms. If you get leaped first by someone in better gear then yah, its gg. But if you can catch that same somebody later on fighting an ally, you can rip them a tactically superior new one and probably save you buddies life. Here are a couple of pointers to hopefully soothe your salty tears.

1) Positioning. Be above and away from the melee based clusterF*#K. Have an LOS object nearby. If you get leaped, stock strike root, punt the fool, and then get behind your los object. With any luck he won't bother walking all the way over when there are easier targets. Without it, he will get pissed and start walking over. When he gets into 10m range, cryo round the idiot and unload your gravs. IF he eats them, he's dead. If he breaks your cryo, use tech override + concussive round and be on your marry way. Its really that simple. It won't work every time but its a great trolling tactic for avoiding fights you can't win.

2) Know your defensive burst. If you get leaped and you think you can dps race someone or try to run to safety, use the following defensive rotation. Stock strike root>punt>run towards allies. If he keeps pursuing try to draw him into your group to get help. If he decides to burn you, warzones stim pack + shield + 5 stacks of barrier (ideally) = 75% damage reduction for 12 seconds. If your team didn't manage to kill him or save you in that time then you are on a bad team and the game will suck regardless of what you do.

3) The Pillar Dance. This doesn't net you any kills but it does net you troll points and can be useful for keeping an enemy melee busy. Find a pillar, stand next to it. When leaped, root and scoot around the corner. Use your medical probe. Repeat until the cows come home. If you get ravage rooted, punt or cryo. Works great against smashers in particular.

Edited by wishihadaname

Ok, I hate to rain on everyone hating parade but the gunnery commando is not that bad. Are we at the bottom of the dps totem pole. Debatable. We share the role of peon with lethality operatives, concealment operatives (the ones without min/max gear), madness assassins, dps sorcs, and vengence jugs. So for starters its not that lonely at the bottom.

Only one i would agree with here is the dps sorcs. All the rest of them provide far more utility and dps with less gear than what is needed for a dps commando to equal.

For continuation, don't underestimate the power of your dps. We can put some serious hurt on people if we set the fight up on our own terms. If you get leaped first by someone in better gear then yah, its gg. But if you can catch that same somebody later on fighting an ally, you can rip them a tactically superior new one and probably save you buddies life. Here are a couple of pointers to hopefully soothe your salty tears.

1) Positioning. Be above and away from the melee based clusterF*#K. Have an LOS object nearby. If you get leaped, stock strike root, punt the fool, and then get behind your los object. With any luck he won't bother walking all the way over when there are easier targets. Without it, he will get pissed and start walking over. When he gets into 10m range, cryo round the idiot and unload your gravs. IF he eats them, he's dead. If he breaks your cryo, use tech override + concussive round and be on your marry way. Its really that simple. It won't work every time but its a great trolling tactic for avoiding fights you can't win.

2) Know your defensive burst. If you get leaped and you think you can dps race someone or try to run to safety, use the following defensive rotation. Stock strike root>punt>run towards allies. If he keeps pursuing try to draw him into your group to get help. If he decides to burn you, warzones stim pack + shield + 5 stacks of barrier (ideally) = 75% damage reduction for 12 seconds. If your team didn't manage to kill him or save you in that time then you are on a bad team and the game will suck regardless of what you do.

3) The Pillar Dance. This doesn't net you any kills but it does net you troll points and can be useful for keeping an enemy melee busy. Find a pillar, stand next to it. When leaped, root and scoot around the corner. Use your medical probe. Repeat until the cows come home. If you get ravage rooted, punt or cryo. Works great against smashers in particular.

As for the rest of your post, you're preaching to the choir. We know all of this and implement it. The problem is that, for all our hard work, we still end up as mediocre in dps. Yes, we can be excellent if the stars align and we are allowed to free cast to our hearts content, but that very rarely happens.

Now, ask yourself this question: What do dps commandos bring to a team that isn't brought, by another AC that does it better with less babysitting?

DPS?

Off Heals?

Anything?

Edited by DariusCalera

There is a pretty good Pyro Merc on my server that runs vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/darthnish/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Maybe you could learn a thing or two off them?

My Commando is assault and does quite well in PVP, admittadly only so far in the sub 50 bracket with him.

Once again though, the same issue pops up. Why bring a commando, even one that is assault specced, over an Assault VG?

While assault is more mobile than gunnery, it still does not hold a candle to the VG version.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my commando and it will remain my main toon until I stop playing this game. But I do recognize its short comings and it is because of those shortcomings that you will not see a commando in a ranked team if there is an option for a different AC with more utility and dps.

Enough is enough I am joining the smash wagon since I can't deal with how bad the commando is in PvP. OK I could go heal but I want to shoot things with my big cannon. BW needs to sort out smash and our survivability its just in such a mess. I am really annoyed that I can't play the class I want to play because I contribute nothing.

OK If I go against a bad team I can put out big numbers, but against a normal team I am shut down and killed in a few GCD's I just no longer see the point playing the class till its fixed. I might as well run around in skirt, for all the good the heavy armour is doing me.....

Anyway I am going to smash my way through pvp as they say "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

/rant over

There is a pretty good Pyro Merc on my server that runs vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/darthnish/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Maybe you could learn a thing or two off them?

My Commando is assault and does quite well in PVP, admittadly only so far in the sub 50 bracket with him.

You might want to ask Darthnish his opinion before using his videos as some kind of 'proof''.

When asked to rank DPS for 1.5:

from a merc PoV

Anyone with at least one active brain cell

commando.merc

I'd like to think people have learned a thing or two from my videos too, but the class is still garbage, at least comparatively against high end competition.

Edited by Jherad

Gunnery Commando, as a support DPS class, is fine. However, we are probably the worst 1v1 spec in the game right now, purely for the fact we are too reliant on abilities with cast times and no interrupt immunity whatsoever.

Assault Commando, imo, isnt much better. Sure it gives us more mobility, but ammo management is a *****, and with damage being underwhelming, there is no point taking an AS Commando over an AS Vanguard.

Gunnery Commando, as a support DPS class, is fine. However, we are probably the worst 1v1 spec in the game right now, purely for the fact we are too reliant on abilities with cast times and no interrupt immunity whatsoever.

Assault Commando, imo, isnt much better. Sure it gives us more mobility, but ammo management is a *****, and with damage being underwhelming, there is no point taking an AS Commando over an AS Vanguard.

I never know what people mean when they say "support DPS". What are you talking about?

Someone who provides steady pressure if not the super burst of other classes? Why not just bring a super burst class. Combat Sentinels have sick burst with Precision Slash, but it's not like their sustained DPS is worthless.

Do we mean someone who stands on the back lines and nukes from afar while the melee ranged players mix it up? Sniper does that better than we do, since they can't just be leapt to and shut down when they're noticed.

Do we mean someone who does ok, if not amazing Pyro PT level of DPS, but brings important team utility to the game? Literally every other DPS does it better because our team utility is actually pretty crap. Combat Sent has one of the most amazing PVP buffs in the game (transcendence with 80% movement speed increase), Knights have awe, Smugglers have Flash Grenade and their huge shield, any bubble spec sage worth their salt is putting up 300k Damage 300k healing even when they're mostly focusing on DPS, and Tank Hybrid Shadows have great DPS while being the best solo node guards in the game (you don't see them put up super high numbers because they're guarding offnodes. Put them in the zerg and keep them up and awesome things happen).

So what is this support class DPS crap I hear? I think it really means second class citizen.

I never know what people mean when they say "support DPS". What are you talking about?

Someone who provides steady pressure if not the super burst of other classes? Why not just bring a super burst class. Combat Sentinels have sick burst with Precision Slash, but it's not like their sustained DPS is worthless.

Do we mean someone who stands on the back lines and nukes from afar while the melee ranged players mix it up? Sniper does that better than we do, since they can't just be leapt to and shut down when they're noticed.

Do we mean someone who does ok, if not amazing Pyro PT level of DPS, but brings important team utility to the game? Literally every other DPS does it better because our team utility is actually pretty crap. Combat Sent has one of the most amazing PVP buffs in the game (transcendence with 80% movement speed increase), Knights have awe, Smugglers have Flash Grenade and their huge shield, any bubble spec sage worth their salt is putting up 300k Damage 300k healing even when they're mostly focusing on DPS, and Tank Hybrid Shadows have great DPS while being the best solo node guards in the game (you don't see them put up super high numbers because they're guarding offnodes. Put them in the zerg and keep them up and awesome things happen).

So what is this support class DPS crap I hear? I think it really means second class citizen.

I think he means the armor reductions GR brings. You know, the ones that never land because you get interrupted, stunlocked and killed as soon as you are noticed.

Follow what wishihadaname said. No you won't dominate ranked matches, and the OP classes will still beat you (like they do to all non OP class). But if you're just playing an average PvP match like 99% of us you can do good if you play to your strengths.

The people here discouraging you are right that you'll lose 1on1 to a skilled player of any other class but 99% of the players aren't skilled. What they gloss over is that if you play the your strengths you can still beat most of the people out there as a commando. Even the "fearsome" marauder is easy to beat 1on1 in most matches if you negate their leap-smash. That's all the bandwagon jumpers know how to do, if you take that from them you win.

Consequently if all you know how to do is spam grav round you'll lose when they take that away from you. So LEARN YOUR CLASS.

I think he just means "ranged dps".

I really think that BW screwed the pooch in developing most of thier ranged classes, the exception being the sniper/scoundrel and it seems like they developed the classes in a near total vacuum where the theory crafting that they did was only for that class and not how other classes interacted with it in a WZ.

I think alot of the people beating down on Commandos/Mercs are simply picking out the negatuves and not the positives.

In non ranked matches you're going to be up against people who won't focus on you alot.

Huttball; You can get good positioning on here against any class

Void Star; Sure, if you're on the defending team you'll probably get torn apart if you go out in the open, for the attacking team, if the defenders are doing their job and staying near the doors, there's a good chance you can pummel a few people.

Novare Coast; Often you're going to be around alot of allies, hope you don't get focused or hope you have a healer nearby and you should be fine.

Hypergate; again, if you hang back and do damage from afar (like you should be doing) you're going to get good damage, even more so since you're grouped with allies just about all the time on this map.