Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone say thespian? I like thespians. Ever since my first trip to A Midsummer Night's Dream in

Toronto's High Park Amphitheatre.

Yes, but because we've never seen actors in the Star Wars films, thespians don't exist either.

Also, if Lesbos doesn't exist in Star Wars, Thespiai doesn't either.

There are probably terms that exist in different cultures, but the amount of thought and time required to create one and then explain it, when you could just not...

Besides, it's not like all the other NPCs in the 1-50 content ever go "I am straight, I am SO straight right now!" so labels aren't really a big deal or even part of the problem, here.

There are probably terms that exist in different cultures, but the amount of thought and time required to create one and then explain it, when you could just not...

Besides, it's not like all the other NPCs in the 1-50 content ever go "I am straight, I am SO straight right now!" so labels aren't really a big deal or even part of the problem, here.

You mean like...

Guy1 in Cantina: Whoa. Those guys are Light Saber Duelists.

Guy2 in Cantina: You mean Jedi? Here?

Guy1: No. The other Light Saber Duelists.

Guy2: What?! Sith?!

Guy1: No. The other OTHER Light Saber Duelists.

Guy2: Oooooh. Well that explains the pink sun shader in my drink. *shrug* Now time to flirt with the ladies!

Guy1: Don't waste your time, pretty sure they're Calamari Clam Diggers.

Guy2: Wait! Are you saying we hit up the only same gender relations cantina on this planet?!

Guy1: That's what I'm saying.

Guy2: I told you we should have went Nossishka! No one from that planet is into same gender relations!

Guy1: But their drinks suck.

Guy2: Point taken! *orders another drink*

Took all of two seconds to explain :p Not that it really needs to be done.

You mean like...

Guy1 in Cantina: Whoa. Those guys are Light Saber Duelists.

Guy2 in Cantina: You mean Jedi? Here?

Guy1: No. The other Light Saber Duelists.

Guy2: What?! Sith?!

Guy1: No. The other OTHER Light Saber Duelists.

Guy2: Oooooh. Well that explains the pink sun shader in my drink. *shrug* Now time to flirt with the ladies!

Guy1: Don't waste your time, pretty sure they're Calamari Clam Diggers.

Guy2: Wait! Are you saying we hit up the only same gender relations cantina on this planet?!

Guy1: That's what I'm saying.

Guy2: I told you we should have went Nossishka! No one from that planet is into same gender relations!

Guy1: But their drinks suck.

Guy2: Point taken! *orders another drink*

Took all of two seconds to explain :p Not that it really needs to be done.

The conversation actually sounds great to me, informative and humorous-like. Could be an actual convo between 2 NPCs in a cantina, and it would be pretty funny to just walk into a cantina like you always do, maybe to talk to your comp or something, and then hear this conversation going on in the background.

Someone say thespian? I like thespians. Ever since my first trip to A Midsummer Night's Dream in

Toronto's High Park Amphitheatre.

I love your sign.

Sorry, I just had to say this.

I question the basic premise of nateslice's arguments. If several classes have fewer OGR options in the initial character story, and future updates add equal amounts of both SGR and OGR, the new SGR cancel out relative to the new OGR and each class always ends up with more OGR options than SGR.

And an equal number of new SGR to new OGR may not even be likely, that would be a choice on the part of bioware and depend on what stories their writers feel like creating or what they think would sell best. At most SGRs might have up to a one to one ratio.

There's only two ways the hypothetical leads to nateslice's conclusions.

The first is if all future flirt or romance options were ONLY or predominately SGR, which again is unlikely from a simple profit viewpoint. Bioware makes the best profit by catering to both majority and minority, not one or another. Even if all future options were bisexual and all existing options were retroactively made bisexual, there would be equal SGR and OGR for each class, never more one than the other.

The second way would be if LGBT players predominantly started using one class over another, unlikely due to gameplay considerations (players tend to chose classes based on the role and gameplay of the class first) or there were more LGBT folk subscribing than non-LGBT, which is statistically unlikely.

Whether someone thinks that all options should be bisexual depends on whether the story should serve the interests of the user choose your own adventure style or if the story serves itself and character personalities and preferences should be set in stone. There's valid arguments to make for both.

This is probably moot though as it would be a lot of effort and money to redo the existing story and character dialogues.

Edited by Bytemite

It's unlikely that they'll add SGR/A content to the pre-50 stuff, so it's impossible for the SGR/OGR balance to ever be equal, it will always favour OGR (and at that, always favour straight males), so Nateslice's fears of alienation by SGR/A content are entirely unfounded.

Besides, Mr. Musco already said the equality will be across faction and gender, not sexuality. Bioware clearly has no intention of making the SGR balance equally to the OGR, but we can still ask them to do so.

If they gonna do same gender romance one the companions. (Hope at future patch or expansion)

They should only do that with female player and female companions because no one will complain about it.

But if there will be male player and male companions the will be angry and complain and spamming the community, mass media and all the employers at swtor.

Edited by Nihlusz

If they gonna do same gender romance one the companions. (Hope at future patch or expansion)

They should only do that with female player and female companions because no one will complain about it.

But if there will be male player and male companions the will be angry and complain and spamming the community, mass media and all the employers at swtor.

I know that the M/M was well received by Mass Effect fans in 3, but that may have been because the true M/M was a well written regular guy who was ****.

Lesbians for male consumption is not going to do Bioware any favours, considering how sexist this game is already. Besides, they've already had to deal with the waambulance brigade being all flustered over Makeb (and yet not actually quitting) and have come out of that fine.

Also, I do actually hope you're joking about only having lesbian romances as the SGRA in this game. If not... well, don't let the ASCII hit you on the way out.

Nah, some will still complain.

Too bad for these 'complainers' I guess. They added male/male in Makeb and the game didn't fall under due to 'angry spammers'.

Did I actually just read this?

Stupidity must be contagious, because my IQ feels like it just dropped a couple points.

Oh, I would definitely complain about it. Not about the fact that there would be f/f companions, but the lack of m/m companions. I hate it when things are played like that.

I'm actually reading this one fantasy book series right now, where people do have some f/f-relationships (not any really major ones, like actual main characters, but there's a little signs of them) but not a single m/m relationships. Pity, because I'd actually say that there would be great m/m possibilities with the actual main characters in it. But that might just be me (and a few friends of mine and a bunch of fanfiction writers), but anyway. I'll get really annoyed if there won't be any m/m-relationships at any point, at least the same way there are f/f relationships. Because it's just ridiculous like this.

Lesbians for male consumption is not going to do Bioware any favours, considering how sexist this game is already. Besides, they've already had to deal with the waambulance brigade being all flustered over Makeb (and yet not actually quitting) and have come out of that fine.

Also, I do actually hope you're joking about only having lesbian romances as the SGRA in this game. If not... well, don't let the ASCII hit you on the way out.

Now the question is, did the other side of the waambulance return to TOR or stay gone, now that it's added.

If you mean people who didn't want SGR, then I'm not sure they ever left. The general chat and posts here are full of people saying they feel like they need to be extra careful on Makeb and don't want the SGRs. Some of them are even complaining.

Not to say being forced into either a SGR or OGR that is unwanted isn't a valid complaint. Although I have to wonder about people who tried the new SGR flirts for the lols who are upset that it "stuck", they do realize that conversations can be canceled?

Anyway, they're still around.

Edited by Bytemite

If you mean people who didn't want SGR, then I'm not sure they ever left. The general chat and posts here are full of people saying they feel like they need to be extra careful on Makeb and don't want the SGRs. Some of them are even complaining.

Not to say being forced into either a SGR or OGR that is unwanted isn't a valid complaint. Although I have to wonder about people who tried the new SGR flirts for the lols who are upset that it "stuck", they do realize that conversations can be canceled?

Anyway, they're still around.

I said on the other side of it. That means the people who wanted it, said they were leaving untill it was added.

Ah. Actually I have no idea on that count. I know people posted on the forums and in chat they came back when the expansion came out, but none of them have mentioned if it was the SGR.

This is speculative, but I suspect pro-SGR people didn't actually leave any more than anti-SGR people did, and that romances with fictional video game characters aren't a driving factor in the decision to leave or rejoin a MMORPG.

Edited by Bytemite

This is speculative, but I suspect pro-SGR people didn't actually leave any more than anti-SGR people did, and that romances with fictional video game characters aren't a driving factor in the decision to leave or rejoin a MMORPG.

Fabiyun, MusedMoose, Natashina, Uluain and many more quit SWTOR during the extremely long (near on a year) period of no or misinformation Bioware was providing us.

They have not returned. It is unlikely that any of them will return, if Bioware means to maintain the process of unequal distribution of options* and a lack of companion romances.

*Before you bring up Mr. Musco's earlier post in this thread, he specified gender and faction, not sexuality.

Edit: Also, bringing this back:

Hello Mr. Musco,

This was never passed on to the Development or Writing teams, but I'll link and quote it to you.

here's the summary of Things We'd Really Like To Know, Please:

Will same-gender relationships be available with current companions?

If so, with which?

Will same-gender relationships be available for all eight classes?

If not, with which?

Will new relationship options be available to characters who have already fully progressed companion stories?

Is the awaited same-gender content on the schedule to be released with Makeb?

Are we still on track to see that content this year?

Will same-gender romance require an in-game credit or cartel coin (or any other similar) expense to unlock?

Some of these questions date back to beta testing. Others are more recent, arising from changes at BioWare Austin and in the direction of the game. Clarification of any would be appreciated.

Emphasis mine, but the italicized points are no longer relevant. The list is old, after all, but it has never been addressed and Ms. Berryman did only acknowledge it to me once. It would be appreciated if these questions could be passed onto the relevant parties and answered at some point in the near future.

Regards.

Edited by Tatile

Hmm. All right then. I was mostly basing my reasoning on the number of pro-SGR people I still see posting. But probably few of the ones still around threatened to leave. It's unfortunate some players felt discriminated against enough that leaving seemed like the only option. Edited by Bytemite

This whole controversy about SGR has surprised me greatly. I don't think it should be a big issue. RPGs (yes, even MMOs) are supposed to provide players with flexibility and choice when creating their characters and conducting their personal narrative, and these romance options provide just that. The world is filled with all kinds of people: heterosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transexual, and all of these groups (although some intolerant people may claim otherwise) play videogames and would want to express their own identity in the virtual world, or in some cases, just try something different. For instance, I'm a heterosexual male but I happily played a lesbian Shepard in ME because it provides for a compelling narrative and moral twist. People who are taking offense with this decision by BioWare should be reminded it's just an option provided to everyone, but absolutely no one is forced to play a gay character if he/she is not willing to. Is it absolutely necessary for the game? Of course not. Is it a nice role-playing choice for a portion of the game's fanbase? Absolutely. People should be a little bit more tolerant and respect every SWTOR player. :D

This is well written, and I agree.

lol... no, no. But the stereotypical roles that slave men and women fill when for "entertainment" are fighting and dancing, respectively. Obviously one could expand upon the concept and go for servants, straight up sex slave, or switch of the stereotypical roles.

As for the BW response... why doesn't that surprise me? :([/QUO

I know huh the guys could be boyslaves and they could drop the women in the rancor pit to be eaten I agree more equality is needed

Fabiyun, MusedMoose, Natashina, Uluain and many more quit SWTOR during the extremely long (near on a year) period of no or misinformation Bioware was providing us.

They have not returned. It is unlikely that any of them will return, if Bioware means to maintain the process of unequal distribution of options* and a lack of companion romances.

*Before you bring up Mr. Musco's earlier post in this thread, he specified gender and faction, not sexuality.

Have they said they plan to maintain some process of unequal distribution, or is that just forum goers being forum goers?

I find it rare for any MMO to really go back over old content, TOR will likely be no different, and in that case, none of us should be suprised by there being more SGR than OGR.

However, SGR was added. And it seems it's unequal in OGR anyways, with less Female > Male flirt options. :/

i quit for a while (was here from the first request threads in the beta forums) but came back to check things out. although i haven't tried the new flirts out mainly out of protest of the whole "pay for gay" thing.

i quit for a while (was here from the first request threads in the beta forums) but came back to check things out. although i haven't tried the new flirts out mainly out of protest of the whole "pay for gay" thing.

o.O If they had introduced Cartel Market Companions only, I could see it, but wasn't this more Pay 2 PLay Expansion?