Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

There is a recent article that talks about how proud EA is of being inclusive for the LGBTQ community. If you read the article, it talks about not only their inclusion for their employees, but also of SGR content in general.

So it's not EA being anti SGRs. It's just a weird persistent silence.

Night all.

I like this quote from the above article, it makes so much sense:

"One of the things that's happened in the industry is that developers have this stereotype of who they think their audience is," Williams said. "They think their audience is straight guys who like a particular type of game. Then once they look at their sales figures and it says, 'Straight, middle-class white guys bought our game so that's our population.' Well yeah, they're the ones who bought your games because that's who you made it for. If you made it for a wider audience, you would find that your customer base is much wider. It's not just the stereotypical gamer population; it's women gamers, it's gay gamers, it's trans gamers. There's a much bigger customer base to take advantage of out there."

Edited by gjpelrine

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One of the things that's happened in the industry is that developers have this stereotype of who they think their audience is," Williams said. "They think their audience is straight guys who like a particular type of game. Then once they look at their sales figures and it says, 'Straight, middle-class white guys bought our game so that's our population.' Well yeah, they're the ones who bought your games because that's who you made it for. If you made it for a wider audience, you would find that your customer base is much wider. It's not just the stereotypical gamer population; it's women gamers, it's gay gamers, it's trans gamers. There's a much bigger customer base to take advantage of out there."

It definitely makes sense. That's what set Bioware apart from so many game companies out there. As a female gamer, I still get weird looks when I tell people I'm into video games. BW games have never made me feel alienated, there was always something in there for me. SWTOR simply needs to catch up. ;)

I linked a tumblr post a couple of pages back, not sure if it's still up (I can probably find the quote again, if I'm lucky) which spoke about the importance of having a female perspective during the writing stage of game development. The author mentioned that without their, very rare, heavy population of women involved in the game's development, the entire staff would have been men and, very likely, white straight men at that. So basically the majority of games are being made by white, straight cis-men, with white, straight cis-men as leads, for an audience of white, straight cis-men. And then the marketing and sales groups come in and wonder why they can't capture the female market, or the LGBT market, or the people of colour market. There was a magazine column on the BBC about a month or two ago, wherein a woman spoke about the insulting 'shrink it, pink it' of technology in an attempt to market it to women and games tend to have that as well: make it small, make it cute, make it brightly coloured and suddenly women will want to buy it. I guess the marketing groups think that if they throw some glitter and rainbows into the Shrink it, Pink it, they can market it to LGBT peoples. Of course the Shrink it, Pink it mentality doesn't go so well with brown is realism, so 'obviously' you can't sell 'real' games to those markets.

I guess my point is that yes, the market is something other than straight, white, cis-men, but that marketing focuses too much on the aspect of being other and reduces it to an absurd and insulting parody. Yes, rainbows are the symbol of the LGBT community and glitter bombing is a thing, but that doesn't mean that everything that includes or is is aimed at the LGBT market has to embody those things.

Sorry if that sort of went... weird. It's cold and I can't think straight.

On a lighter note if you haven't played through the smuggle storyline yet between the awkward shyness and weird jealousy if you flirt with anyone else Corso/Male smuggler puts the Romance in Bromance. Unfortunately he's incredibly obnoxious ... so there's that.

On a lighter note if you haven't played through the smuggle storyline yet between the awkward shyness and weird jealousy if you flirt with anyone else Corso/Male smuggler puts the Romance in Bromance. Unfortunately he's incredibly obnoxious ... so there's that.

I'd love SGRs if only for Corso. I have a Lv1 male smuggler hanging round for ages now, waiting to be played. <-<

I'd love SGRs if only for Corso. I have a Lv1 male smuggler hanging round for ages now, waiting to be played. <-<

From what I've heard of Corso, I'd probably want to set him on fire with my femSmug, but then I've only heard bad things about Corso.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

From what I've heard of Corso, I'd probably want to set him on fire with my femSmug, but then I've only heard bad things about Corso.

Corso is basically every annoying and stupid stereotype that exists in media regarding "Rednecks" from the American South put into one character.

He's absolutely intolerable, and I mean that literally. I stopped tolerating him after he threw racist slurs at Bowdaar and talked crap about Risha behind her back. Been using Risha and Akaavi ever since and never taken Corso out of the ship's deep freezer since.

I haven't heard anything much about him yet, have largely managed to keep myself unspoilt here. I just saw that face of his on a pic somewhere and he reminded me a lot of Zevran of DA-O. And I loved Zevran.

What I've heard about him so far makes me think he would go great with my male smuggler in waiting. So if Corso didn't turn up to be an option, I'd really be disappointed, i gotta tell you that. -.-

I haven't heard anything much about him yet, have largely managed to keep myself unspoilt here. I just saw that face of his on a pic somewhere and he reminded me a lot of Zevran of DA-O. And I loved Zevran.

What I've heard about him so far makes me think he would go great with my male smuggler in waiting. So if Corso didn't turn up to be an option, I'd really be disappointed, i gotta tell you that. -.-

play it and read between the lines and you get it all but the "Why can't I quit you?" cutscene. subtext slightly more subtle than fast and furious franchise but only slightly,

play it and read between the lines and you get it all but the "Why can't I quit you?" cutscene. subtext slightly more subtle than fast and furious franchise but only slightly,

You know what? I started playing the smuggler just to see what Corso would be like. I managed to get to the first cut scene, and alas, Corso appears, makes a cute face and says something like "Nice to meet you" to my guy. Smuggler replies the same and both look at each other (like, really long) before Corso leaves. D'aw. <3

That was it. I had to stop there. :rolleyes: I really REALLY want to play that thing with Corso as an option. I can't help but end up being utterly sad if that's not going to happen.

You know what? I started playing the smuggler just to see what Corso would be like. I managed to get to the first cut scene, and alas, Corso appears, makes a cute face and says something like "Nice to meet you" to my guy. Smuggler replies the same and both look at each other (like, really long) before Corso leaves. D'aw. <3

That was it. I had to stop there. :rolleyes: I really REALLY want to play that thing with Corso as an option. I can't help but end up being utterly sad if that's not going to happen.

Well last tidbit I heard was that SGR's were not going to be with the same people as OGRs and Corso is the Femsmuggler romance IIRC. Though if there is any character to vote for swinging both ways it's Corso IMHO.

Corso is basically every annoying and stupid stereotype that exists in media regarding "Rednecks" from the American South put into one character.

He's absolutely intolerable, and I mean that literally. I stopped tolerating him after he threw racist slurs at Bowdaar and talked crap about Risha behind her back. Been using Risha and Akaavi ever since and never taken Corso out of the ship's deep freezer since.

Dammit, now I'm spoilt. :/ Still want to play him though. :p Maybe there's a twist, and he changes for the better? I can but dream. :rolleyes: Wow, my sentences keep getting shorter and shorter. Time for bed, I guess, it's rather late over here. ^^

Well last tidbit I heard was that SGR's were not going to be with the same people as OGRs and Corso is the Femsmuggler romance IIRC. Though if there is any character to vote for swinging both ways it's Corso IMHO.

I know. :( I heard that too but I'm still hoping. I still have a feeling about him, yeah, I agree with your last sentence. And since he reminded me of Zev so much, well, I do have at least a little hope. :cool: Nighty!

Dammit, now I'm spoilt. :/ Still want to play him though. :p Maybe there's a twist, and he changes for the better? I can but dream.

Well obviously you should play and see for yourself before you decide. Who knows, maybe you'll like him?

Some people are masochists, after all... >___>

I've only seen a little of Corso but I didn't mind what I saw. He's young and dumb and full of... er... enthusiasm, but I haven't seen anything outright horrifying from him. mind you I only went as far as getting Bowdaar back to the ship before I got distracted by my Jedi Consular.

Not awake yet. Woke up to find my friend in the hospital after fainting at work. She's okay, but I'm not in the best mood.

The weekends where that kind of speech and those hateful threads ruled are behind us, I think. The mods are on it. I reported one gentleman's post and very quickly it was removed. I kinda caught the blink and you'll miss it general forum threads, but that's was all I saw of them. I'm thankful too, some of that was really bad. I have a feeling that they aren't done yet. I'm getting my popcorn, but I'm not touching those threads.

I'm glad to see all those threads pro and anti-SGR popping up. We're not invisible anymore. I doubt that if the trolls and detractors realize that every time they make a new thread even slightly related to SGRs, that gives this whole matter that much more exposure. In this case, we want to expose ourselves. :p

I'm still hoping for an answer by New Year's. Getting coffee going now....

Edit: And yes, do not shoot the messengers. The mods are pretty hard working people that simple enforce the polices set by their bosses. Not their fault. :cool:

agreed. and they seem a lot more 'on it' these days in general. not related to .this. topic, but yesterday some guy was trying to discredit my guild in a topic where our liason is trying to organise a guild meeting where we are discussing the future of our server... 10 min after reporting it was deleted. didn't even take them as long to delete his complained about his reply getting deleted. lol (and he was using quite the language in it too)

that being said... yes, you are right

in a way it's really really good that this topic is finally catching on.

oh btw, the vast majority of the replies was that people would .not. be bothered by 'this' being in-game. :)

ps: I'm glad to hear your friend is fine and I can imagine it's weird hearing that she wasn't doing too well :/

edit: oops looks like the post was deleted right when I posted my reply -.-

Edited by amnie

Not sure what I'm allowed to say...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I save my posts now.

I'll try this:

Not awake yet. Woke up to find my friend in the hospital after fainting at work. She's okay, but I'm not in the best mood.

Edit: Thanks for the well wishes. She's had some medical problems for awhile now. The part that just makes this hard is that Doup and I were supposed to take her out to a nice gluten free dinner today. And her husband is out of town. I've got one eye on the forums and one eye on FB waiting for updates from her.

I'm glad to see all those threads pro and anti-SGR popping up. We're not invisible anymore. I doubt that if the trolls and detractors realize that every time they make a new thread even slightly related to SGRs, that gives this whole matter that much more exposure. In this case, we want to expose ourselves. :p BioWare needs to see the various kinds of passion this content can bring out in other people, not just little ol' us.

I haven't heard anything new yet from GLAAD or any other sources, but the night is still young. Please, everyone write to GLAAD and if you're inclined, add a link to this thread, the Did I...? thread and the FAQ. I'd like them to have as broad as a perspective on this situation. Anyone catch anything on Twitter or the like about an update yet?

Try to remember to stay away from the popcorn threads. If you feel the burning need to post, make sure the contact info for GLAAD is made readily available. Try to encourage everyone to do so, but try to leave it at that. No need to start getting privileges revoked.

Contact info coming again. Please copy pasta this into all the SGR threads you guys hit. Ya'll are braver than me, and I'm still under a strict, "No posting in General forums about SGRs 'cept Uluain's thread," rule by Doup, which I'm not gong to argue with. The last time I did a bunch of posting in General, I came back hating the world and feeling very mentally drained. Doup has to live with me, so he tells me if I'm getting too deep into all of this. :o

Anyhow, here you go all you wonderful and crazy people. :D

http://www.glaad.org/contact

https://www.facebook.com/GLAAD?fref=ts

brendan.sinclair@gamesindustry.biz

Edited by natashina

I really hope that is not the case. My Sith Warrior has developed quite a crush on Vette.

Honestly, I would rather we get new S/S romances for both men and women. Mainly to have new characters to talk to.

Anyone with me?

Lurking, waiting fo sleep to come, so far unsuccesful. -.-

There should be both! Old companions we liked but that were unavailable before and new ones to discover. To go either/or would be the wrong way here.

Lurking, waiting fo sleep to come, so far unsuccesful. -.-

There should be both! Old companions we liked but that were unavailable before and new ones to discover. To go either/or would be the wrong way here.

plus it seems kinda stupid that new players (or if rolling an alt, which is kinda what this game is all about) would have to wait at least until lvl 50 before they could actually romance someone of the same sex if that is what they wish to do.. especially as by that time you will long since have the option to romance one of the other companions..

plus my gunslinger would be really disappointed. he's developed a huuuge crush on corso - plus corso will be lonely when my scoundrel breaks up with him :/

Edited by amnie

plus it seems kinda stupid that new players (or if rolling an alt, which is kinda what this game is all about) would have to wait at least until lvl 50 before they could actually romance someone of the same sex if that is what they wish to do.. especially as by that time you will long since have the option to romance one of the other companions..

plus my gunslinger would be really disappointed. he's developed a huuuge crush on corso - plus corso will be lonely when my scoundrel breaks up with him :/

In my mind, the romancable companions today were originally written heterosexual, and rewriting them as "Bisexual" makes no sense, unless they explain it away as the trope "If it's you, it's okay" which makes it worse for me.

Edited by stormdrakelord