Swtor mods

Aikes_Itso

I'm pretty sure guild wars 2 doesn't allow mods either. not sure if super hero games or start trek game have mods. I think Eve doesn't, but don't quote me on that.

funny story. I'm currently playing both WoW and SWTOR. with an exception of a mod that allows me to see everything all my alts have in their bags etc as well as ability to click cast on mouse over? things SWTOR stock UI allows me to do, I have to download mods for in WoW. because base game doesn't have it. I don't think its a good thing. I think its a flaw, that stock UI is so bad, you HAVE to use mods. and then, there's the daily.. lets log into curse and see what else needs updated, oh look - patch/maintenance day, lets see what mod was broken this time.

I like ability to customize my experience. but I honestly prefer SWTOR's way of allowing me to do so through base game instead of having to run a crapton of extraneous programs, just to have half decent experience.

I'll say though, one thing they really need to work on is buff/debuff displays on operations frames. for dispell junky like me, its kinda bad, because I really cannot get the information I need right now. but again, can be done without mods. to Blizzard what, 6 years before they implemented half decent raid frames?

Edited by Jeweledleah

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old debate and not likely to change here, but a game without addons/mods, at the very least with regard to the UI, is simply an inferior game.

I haven't played WoW in years, but it is still the best UI I have ever used. Why? Because the UI was my own creation compiled from the tools created by millions of players who have varying ways of how they like information displayed.

This game has a passable UI, but it is no where near good. And that directly impacts its enjoyability.

For example, there are still procs that don't give a visible cue when going off. Thus to play the character well, you must stare at the buff bar. And thus, the leveling experience when not in a story section devolves into stare at the hot bar/buff bar rather than at all the action and the animations/graphics they worked so hard on.

This is the kind of thing that makes the experience of playing less than it could be. It isn't enough by itself to massively sway your opinion, but like so many things in this game, its just that little bit that keeps it from being much better. And those little things add up.

As for the typical arguments, my take generally goes something like this:

-If it isn't selecting and/or activating abilities for you, then it isn't automation.

-It does make the game eaiser to play by creating a lower barrier between desire and action; that is a good thing, imo, as I would prefer "skill" is determined by intent not one's ability to successfully navigate the nuances of that particular game's interface.

- (this one's for Ureal) Being required for group content is really no different than raids requiring mumble; if having to download a miniscule file off the internet is such an inconvenience to you versus the convenience of having your raid group work more efficiently together, then find a group of like minded individuals (there seem to be plenty) and form a group without those requirements.

Edited by Tumedus

"interface action failed because of an addon"

I see this message a lot when I play WoW.

riddle me this, addon lovers.

WHY does it have to be an addon and not just in game addition? what makes third party addon better then the same functionality added by game developers?

is SWTOR UI perfect? no, its not. its miles better then WoW's stock UI though. you want improvements to UI, like visible procs, better buff/debuff management, better GTN interface (personally, I'd settle for shift-click item to copy paste its name into a search window option, though ability to see all the other listings would be fabulous), etc - why couldn't it be part of stock UI? added to stock UI?

addons by themselves are NOT inherently better. what's important is ability to customize your experience. and SWTOR ALREADY offers that.

I have a very conservative addon list in WoW. 42 (according to curse, including various dependancies, necessary for main addon to work). oh yes. 42 is conservative. all of them but altoholic and auction master? were installed to give me the UI customization options, I get in SWTOR base game. and I have to check on them constantly to make sure they are up to date (or they break), and sometimes, they break randomly anyways, and I need to reload. and god forbid my favorite addon's maker decides they don't want to play WoW anymore, I now have to look for a replacement option.

tell me again, how third party addons are better?

I'm playing WoW right now in addition to SWTOR for several reasons, but their UI is NOT one of those reasons.

Edited by Jeweledleah

Most MMOs I have played do not have mods. EverQuest was my first real MMO experience and originally it wouldn't even ALT-TAB out without bugging out.

EVE is another one and it's doing very well without it considering it's over 10 years old and it grows in subscribers every single month. EVE also has an amazing UI though and makes me wish for some of its functionality in the GTN.

Don't just see the GTN UI as a hindrance. It's also an opportunity. Some people are lazy and will list items without searching. The default price is usually very lowball. When I see someone throw a huge stack in there at the default price, I snatch them up and resell them. I saw this happening since the first day I played, I was collecting Bacterial Strains in bioanalysis nodes and saw people selling 200 credit/unit items for 450 credits per stack of 20. Made good creds buy them, stacking them down, and selling.

It happens more often because of the horrible UI :D

This is the only MMO i have ever played that doesnt allow for mods. Curse gaming and many other sites provide mods for many games out there that make the experience a LOT more enjoyable.

They also introduce variables that affect the development of the game. When mods are allowed the devs have to assume everyone is using them and plan around them, not only changing how they originally planned to design the game but also making the game more difficult for everyone that chooses NOT to use them.

GW2 does not allow mods. LotRO, last time I played it, did not allow mods. Rift had a very, very basic macro system but did not allow use of mods. I liked all three more than I liked WoW. Even EQ1 didn't allow mods.

Get hardware that will allow you to make minor macros (without botting) or learn how to play the right way. Better yet, learn how to play the right way THEN get the hardware to make things easier. Mods are more of a problem than they are a benefit.

People need to stop whining and learn to play...

Mods is a way to get the comunity engaged. If we had mods someone surely would have made a mod to fast change gear from pve to pvp, or from tank to dps. Someone would have made bag organiser and atlasloot and auctioneer. Maybe even a mod to shut up your protocol droid. I wouldn´t mind those kinds of mods. I think the majority of players would welcome those mods.

Mods we dont want is healbots and raidwarnings and decursive(loved that mod back in wow) Those kinds of mods that help gameplay.

I don't hate on mods personally but the issue with them was that WoW raiding was so based around them and it was always the same mods that ppl used so whats the point?

If its always the same then you could just hard implement them into the game instead and beside i dont want 5billions of numbers and windows clogging up my screen. I don't need to check threat i dont need to check dps because I can see for myself when I'm slacking.

I don't need healing **** because 'm not a droid who can't see when someone is dropping in hp and by studying the encounter I'll memorize what I need to check out for.

Mod = lazy, instead of simply learning how things works u just download a ****** program that tell you what will happen and what you should do about it.

When I played WoW I rarely played the actual game. Instead I played deadly boss mods, recount, and upwards of three more addons. I was really just playing charts. The sad part is that guilds were discriminating against DPS for doing .5% less than some arbitrary number they set as a standard for admission....a standard already significantly above what was necessary.

This game isn't missing anything in the addon department.

WHY does it have to be an addon and not just in game addition? what makes third party addon better then the same functionality added by game developers?

It's better because you get it sooner. I have made several posts about improving the GTN, the earliest of which was close to when I started playing the game 8 or 9 months ago, and there hasn't been so much as an acknowledgement from the developers.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the only MMO i have ever played that doesnt allow for mods. Curse gaming and many other sites provide mods for many games out there that make the experience a LOT more enjoyable. SWTOR has decided to put its customers on rails and this may be good for something, I dont know what, but because of it I find the galactic market horrible in this game. I dont want to spend my time looking up 30 different items to compair prices just so that I can sell my crap, I want something that will check prices and allow me to undercut the other sellers. I want my time to be spent effficiently, not irritated because I have to quest to make money or because I have to do searches to sell some item for 400 credits.... and speaking of the market....since I cant have my own vendors why cant my items be on the market longer?

I havent sold anything on the market until today and I just got reminded of why I dont. The market mechanics are horrible. Absolutely primitive in todays MMO gaming market. In MMOs that don't fair much better for trade markets, at least you are usually able to right click + shift (or something similar) to add the name of the product into the search engine for the market....not in this game. In this game you have to type in the product name to compair prices...

Number one.... that I have to sell crap on a market means that I already have to waste time to get the itmes....because mind you, I am only here to PvP....I have to date NEVER done a Flashpoint because I dont care to...not my idea of fun. With the pathetic state of the market, I now also have to waste more of my time in order to use the market....because in Blizzard's infinite wisdom they have decided to block the ability for private individuals to create mods for this game. It makes the game irritating. I dont play video games to be irritated.

Blizzard, please get off your rump and create a few small provitions...like you did with allowing users to mod their own interface.....and stop jerking me around on my free-to-pay time in your game. I pay a sub, give me perks that matter. A different looking speeder or clothing....junk. Stupid cake-eater crap that does zero for me.

P.S.

Your market system really bites. Cartel coins for xp...good...cartel coins for image designed junk = emo. Allow scripting and mods because you apparently fail at interface and user friendly interaction.

They Wont Put Gaming Modification in Because it would be way to overpowered and unfair in PVP You should really think about these things

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting to see all the hate on mods.

I love mods, and the reason is simple. In most games with mods, the community and mod developers do a better job of coming up and delivering UI customizations and enhancements than the game developers.

Thus in games with mods I am able to make my UI minimal (dropping all the superfluous skinning, unused elements, and stuff like portraits) while highly functional by being able to highlight information that is important to me (my procs, buffs, ability cooldowns and specific debuffs).

On the GTN front, with mods we'd most likely already have the ability to search and sort significantly more efficient than today while being able to easily determine an items worth without having to maintain out of game spreadsheets.

Of course some people like a few posters in this thread would not want such mods (or improvements by Bioware) as they live online and spend all day camped at the GTN searching over and over and cannot stand the thought that a normal player could come to the GTN and in a few clicks actually find something or have a good idea of its value.

Of course I'd like to see mods restricted through the API such that they could not automate game play. That type of mod is not something I'd like to see added to SWTOR.[/QU

Yea funny thing is all these guys bagging MODS will no doubt use them if bioware allowed them:D

This is the only MMO i have ever played that doesnt allow for mods. Curse gaming and many other sites provide mods for many games out there that make the experience a LOT more enjoyable. SWTOR has decided to put its customers on rails and this may be good for something, I dont know what, but because of it I find the galactic market horrible in this game. I dont want to spend my time looking up 30 different items to compair prices just so that I can sell my crap, I want something that will check prices and allow me to undercut the other sellers. I want my time to be spent effficiently, not irritated because I have to quest to make money or because I have to do searches to sell some item for 400 credits.... and speaking of the market....since I cant have my own vendors why cant my items be on the market longer?

I havent sold anything on the market until today and I just got reminded of why I dont. The market mechanics are horrible. Absolutely primitive in todays MMO gaming market. In MMOs that don't fair much better for trade markets, at least you are usually able to right click + shift (or something similar) to add the name of the product into the search engine for the market....not in this game. In this game you have to type in the product name to compair prices...

Number one.... that I have to sell crap on a market means that I already have to waste time to get the itmes....because mind you, I am only here to PvP....I have to date NEVER done a Flashpoint because I dont care to...not my idea of fun. With the pathetic state of the market, I now also have to waste more of my time in order to use the market....because in Blizzard's infinite wisdom they have decided to block the ability for private individuals to create mods for this game. It makes the game irritating. I dont play video games to be irritated.

Blizzard, please get off your rump and create a few small provitions...like you did with allowing users to mod their own interface.....and stop jerking me around on my free-to-pay time in your game. I pay a sub, give me perks that matter. A different looking speeder or clothing....junk. Stupid cake-eater crap that does zero for me.

P.S.

Your market system really bites. Cartel coins for xp...good...cartel coins for image designed junk = emo. Allow scripting and mods because you apparently fail at interface and user friendly interaction.

I agree with you, mods would help improve the game experience. It's not just about 'making things easier', it's also about being able to personalize your in-game experience.

Those who just say "I am glad SWTOR doesn't allow any mods" without even the decency to explain why, you should keep your opinion to yourselves. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but if you have an opinion and you don't even bother to explain the reasons, then just shut up.

I agree with you, mods would help improve the game experience. It's not just about 'making things easier', it's also about being able to personalize your in-game experience.

Those who just say "I am glad SWTOR doesn't allow any mods" without even the decency to explain why, you should keep your opinion to yourselves. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but if you have an opinion and you don't even bother to explain the reasons, then just shut up.

The dislike of mods seems to stem from the belief that mods lessen the challenge of PvP and PvE combat. I've never used any 3rd party software outside of MoX Parser so I can't comment - but I can't see why we would need combat mods in SWTOR since you are either good enough or you're not.

The dislike of mods seems to stem from the belief that mods lessen the challenge of PvP and PvE combat. I've never used any 3rd party software outside of MoX Parser so I can't comment - but I can't see why we would need combat mods in SWTOR since you are either good enough or you're not.

I personally like combat mods as they allow me to actually view the game I'm playing more effectively.

As it stands currently HP is placed within the character portrait, rage/etc is placed within the same UI item. Skill cooldowns are placed on the hotbars.

Whilst my character is centered on the screen, the UI elements which display that info is not. Of course you can drag them there but that doesn't really give a clean UI look. So I prefer combat mods to place a thin HP and Energy bar on the sides of my chars, I prefer placing frequently used skill CD's next to it, etc.

Those sort of mods allow me to fully enjoy the game as I can keep watching the action, rather than splitting my attention between surroundings and hotbars/portraits.

Also in terms of healer characters I've always used mods where allowed for on-hover healing, a feature also currently lacking.

Such combat mods don't make you better in any MMO, the only thing it does is make the game more enjoyable.