Sticky: Re: PTS Character Copy On Your Account Page

Icebergy

As many of you may notice when you log into your account page on swtor.com, there is a new section for “PTS Character Copy”. We’ll be opening up Public Test Server for play testing soon and this link is open in preparation for this. For now, although it will appear to perform all of the actions required to copy a character, the system will not be functional until the Public Test Server is opened. That is, you cannot copy your characters onto PTS until PTS is opened up. Thanks!

Does this mean server transfers soon!? Please? PLEASE?!

The producer's note a couple of weeks ago said that this was the initial phase of the technology that would allow for server transfers.

Don't expect to see it for several months, though.

I know, this is why I am hoping that we are getting close to transfers.

Yes. Though your definition of "soon" may not be the same as BW's. I believe they said that this mechanic is the testing ground for the eventual CM paid for transfer service. So, I expect if things go well with character copy to the PTS, then we will probably see the transfers hit the CM within a couple of months. If not, then probably not until later in the Spring.

BJ

I wish they would give us something, even a rough timeline would be fine...to let us know if its even worth it to keep waiting for transfers.

Not having them is really starting to negatively affect my enjoyment of SWTOR. I have been holding off on rolling new alts and playing old alts because of this. Not to mention all the credits and other resources I have leftover on my old server that I could really use on my new server.

Edited by Icebergy

You know Soon* in Bioware speak is 6 months to a Year, right?

It's Soon!!(™) :p

But, yeah one would think that this may mean Payed Transfers soon. But, based on past performance there is no way within reason that this will directly correlete to Payed Transfers. :cool:

It's Soon!!(™) :p

But, yeah one would think that this may mean Payed Transfers soon. But, based on past performance there is no way within reason that this will directly correlete to Payed Transfers. :cool:

These two sentences seem kinda contradictory to me.

I wish they would give us something, even a rough timeline would be fine...to let us know if its even worth it to keep waiting for transfers.
They don't do things like that because looking at endless forum posts about "When is X feature coming?" is infinitely preferable to endless forum posts about "ZOMG you promised us X feature on Tuesday and it's still not here on Thursday!"

They don't do things like that because looking at endless forum posts about "When is X feature coming?" is infinitely preferable to endless forum posts about "ZOMG you promised us X feature on Tuesday and it's still not here on Thursday!"

I know, people are immature like that...thats why all I am asking for is a rough estimate. I just would like to know if it is worth it to continue to wait or if I should just proceed as if there would not be transfers.

These two sentences seem kinda contradictory to me.

There is no contradiction.

First Sentence: Good natured ribbing of another long time poster.

Second Sentence: What I would like to happen.

Third Sentence: What is more likely to happen.

No contradictions. Just musings. :p

thats why all I am asking for is a rough estimate.
And the exact same thing I said would happen so that's why they don't do it.

If they said, "We're hoping to double the size of the game world by 2015," people would 1) keep asking when the game world will be doubled in size almost every day until Jan 1, 2015, 2) begin asking if every patch beginning on Jan 1, 2015 was the one that would double the size of the game world, and 3) complain that the devs lied to us because the game world is only 98% larger on Dec 31, 2015.

This is exactly the reason they rarely ever say anything more than "soon" when it comes to timelines.

And that is, in the case of the transfer system, exactly the rough timeline you have been given for them.

And the exact same thing I said would happen so that's why they don't do it.

If they said, "We're hoping to double the size of the game world by 2015," people would 1) keep asking when the game world will be doubled in size almost every day until Jan 1, 2015, 2) begin asking if every patch beginning on Jan 1, 2015 was the one that would double the size of the game world, and 3) complain that the devs lied to us because the game world is only 98% larger on Dec 31, 2015.

This is exactly the reason they rarely ever say anything more than "soon" when it comes to timelines.

And that is, in the case of the transfer system, exactly the rough timeline you have been given for them.

I guess you are right, but I still wish they would give us something so that I could at least decide to either continue to wait or to just play as if there were not going to be transfers.

I guess you are right, but I still wish they would give us something so that I could at least decide to either continue to wait or to just play as if there were not going to be transfers.
The answer is obvious: Play as if there will never, ever be transfers.

When they finally do have transfers, it's not like you won't be allowed to do it because you kept playing or you'll be stripped of everything you've earned between now and then.

It's a videogame. Play it or don't play it, but don't just sit around waiting for something that could be months away.

The answer is obvious: Play as if there will never, ever be transfers.

When they finally do have transfers, it's not like you won't be allowed to do it because you kept playing or you'll be stripped of everything you've earned between now and then.

It's a videogame. Play it or don't play it, but don't just sit around waiting for something that could be months away.

My old server has at least 20 million worth of credits and materials that I really do not want to have to regrind if transfers are going to be soon.

My old server's legacy has a lot of buffs that I really do not want to regrind and that I would really like to have before I start any new alts.

I get what you are saying, but the fact that these are just sitting there unused really makes it hard for me to get excited about the game, other than raiding on my main.

Hi folks, just wanted to chime in here to let you know that we do not currently have an ETA. As soon as we have more info for you, we will post it publicly. Thank you for your patience.

PS. Please stop bumping your thread as it against forum rules.

Edited by JovethGonzalez