Best dps - merc or pt?

TwistedTony

I wanna make a bounty hunter and I love deeps. I know powertechs are up there with marauders for dps, so my question is do Mercs match them or at least come close? I know they're harder to play, which I'm fine with, I like challenging classes, but if played right are Mercs equal with powertechs or no?

Haven't played a merc, but from what I understand:

Ptech does a bit more DPS and is more mobile. Must stay within 10m and sometimes 4m, not totally cut off if out of range though.

Merc is of course ranged, and also provides armor debuff if that's an issue.

Merc has better aoe, but ptech is no slouch there either.

Ptech has no threat drop, and I think merc's is on gcd.

That's not so bad. I was gonna say if pt was a lot better than merc, that's garbage cuz the only difference is one is ranged and the other melee. It's not like marauder and jug where both are melee but one is more dps oriented and the other is tank oriented

I'm an arsenal merc. there isn't a powertech alive that can out dps me. powertechs are tanks; you can play dps in pve, but don't bring that weak a%$ PT dps to a HM Op or you'll get laughed at.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, I bet my PT could out dps you :p

I'm an arsenal merc. there isn't a powertech alive that can out dps me. powertechs are tanks; you can play dps in pve, but don't bring that weak a%$ PT dps to a HM Op or you'll get laughed at.

I'd say there are quite a few PTs that can outdamage your Merc^^

Look here: http://www.torparse.com/statistics

Click on Terror From Beyond on the left, click the Dread Guard fight(Ciphas, Heirad, & Kel'sara) and choose 8 HM/NM at the top. Now look at the Top 50 DPS. How many PTs do you see? How many Mercs?

This should also answer the OP's question.

This is the most comical thing I've read in a long time.

How about you post your parses from TFB HM, and I bet my PT is higher on 5/5 fights.

To OP: They are both very good. Both rotations are very easy, merc is not "challenging". PT is slightly higher dps at the moment, but its within 5% with the top players, so it's close enough. Play what playstyle you prefer (ranged vs mellee).

I love this attitude from Mercs. I see it all the time. They just refuse to believe that PT can out DPS them with ease.

And then, once they finally realize that PT's can, they love to try and make it look better by saying things like "Well, Mercs will always be taken over a PT anyway because we can heal and/or cleanse ourselves, and make it easier on the healers".

Truth be told, once Makeb hits and the classes get expanded, I have a strong feeling that PT DPS will fall a bit from the top. So right now, I'm just trying to have as much fun as I can with it.

ok i'm looking at the Torparse. C,H,K fight,TFB. i see ONE merc. #50. :rolleyes:

I refuse to believe Mercs are the worst dps in the game as they are #50 on that list.

only 12 different guilds on the whole thing? i'm going to guess only people signed up and stuff are listed. I am going to assume alot of Mercs are just not signed up to Torparse. How many Mercs are registered on this site compared to the number of PTs? i know i'm not. hence the reason i'm not listed. I don't see anywhere to download any Parse software or even how it works. anywho....i stand by what i said earlier.

None of you PTs can out dps me. /superflex

Edit: i was looking at SM. on HM the only Merc is #25....and is a different guy from the one who was #50. 14 PTs on the list? LOL. and out of the whole 50...i see only one player from my server. a Sniper. Torparse does not reflect the real world and should not be viewed as such.

Edited by Holinyx

ok i'm looking at the Torparse. C,H,K fight,TFB. i see ONE merc. #50. :rolleyes:

I refuse to believe Mercs are the worst dps in the game as they are #50 on that list.

only 12 different guilds on the whole thing? i'm going to guess only people signed up and stuff are listed. I am going to assume alot of Mercs are just not signed up to Torparse. How many Mercs are registered on this site compared to the number of PTs? i know i'm not. hence the reason i'm not listed. I don't see anywhere to download any Parse software or even how it works. anywho....i stand by what i said earlier.

Edit: i was looking at SM. on HM the only Merc is #25....and is a different guy from the one who was #50. 14 PTs on the list? LOL. and out of the whole 50...i see only one player from my server. a Sniper. Torparse does not reflect the real world and should not be viewed as such.

torparse.com is pretty easy to use. Go to upload, fill in the details of the character, upload your log. The link to the analysis can be posted as soon as it is upload, if it is good enough to get into the top X amount it will do it after midnight (I think that is when the statistics pages update).

TFB relies a lot on other people doing their jobs properly. If that's happening, PT/Merc should be about equal on the first fight, PT ahead on the second (lot's of movement), Merc ahead on the third (don't need to run as far before restarting DPS), PT on the fourth (they have better burst), PT on fifth (burst again, but really depends on who is killing larvae and anomalies).

Merc's aren't the worse PvE dps'ers. They are quite strong, but they fall behind in heavy movement fights and to a lesser extent fights with specific burst phases. Also very annoying that with similar aim and power heat seekers hit for less than a PT's rail shot. I find that stupid for a top tier ability.

1. Go to "Preferences" in game

2. Click on "Combat Logging"

3. Check off "Enable Combat Logging to File"

4. Do an OP or go to an OP boss dummy.

5. Go to: My Documents > My Games > Star Wars: Old Republic > Combat Logs > Select your most recent combat log.

6. Go to torparse.com and upload that combat log.

7. Read and enjoy.

Honestly, how can you say that no PT can out-DPS you if you don't even know how to check yourself?

Click on Terror From Beyond on the left, click the Dread Guard fight(Ciphas, Heirad, & Kel'sara) and choose 8 HM/NM at the top. Now look at the Top 50 DPS. How many PTs do you see? How many Mercs?

Wow I didn't realise how well PT/VG's were doing...

Which tree do you guys think the top DPS'ers are spec'ing in?

Wow I didn't realise how well PT/VG's were doing...

Which tree do you guys think the top DPS'ers are spec'ing in?

Pyro is the usual one. 7/6/28 is what I am currently running, but people do value things slightly differently so you will see that as 8/5/28, 6/7/28 etc.

Really? ?/?/28... Hmmm I thought TD did decent damage?

Thanks for the info

It's good for burst damage, almost all pvp specs use it, but operations are about sustained dps (for the most part).

You can get more bang for your buck if you don't waste 2 points getting to TD and spend them in something more beneficial to your overall dps.

1. Go to "preferences" in game

2. Click on "combat logging"

3. Check off "enable combat logging to file"

4. Do an op or go to an op boss dummy.

5. Go to: My documents > my games > star wars: Old republic > combat logs > select your most recent combat log.

6. Go to torparse.com and upload that combat log.

7. Read and enjoy.

Honestly, how can you say that no pt can out-dps you if you don't even know how to check yourself?

thanks !!!!!

The argument that PT's are tanks made me chuckle :)

The same argument could be made that Mercs are healers and thus are unable to dps.

From my experience (which is somewhat dated i'll admit) the two classes are very close, and success is dependant on fight design given equal gear and skill. Unfortunately for Mercs the mobility issue is a big one in many of the fights. Take into account also the MUCH higher population of Mercs on almost every server and you end up with a good majority of Mercs healing to get that spot in the raid.

This doesn't mean Mercs fail at dps or that they are uncapable of beating a PT. Just realize that:

A) It will be generally easier to get a dps spot as a PT (ESPECIALLY in a pug)

B) Any fight requiring mobility will hit your dps hard as a Merc and make you shine as a PT

C) What matters most is that you enjoy what you play. In a month we could see PT's nerfed into the ground, new raids introduced with little mobility required, or a change in class population. Any of these things could affect your output so stick with the class that "feels" right.

I've leveled both to 50 and participated in some of the high end content with both as dps. I've now created a new account and am going with the PT again this time around, but only because I enjoyed the role I played as a close range mobile, heavy armor bad mutha f***** :)

Hope this helps. I know the "play what you want" response can seem dismissive when you want feedback but trust me the best person to choose your class is you.

EDIT: A quick note on the parser. While it only shows the top 50, recognize that even for the single example shown the data explains that it represents 3864 attempts on that encounter alone, with the average dps at 888. If the AVERAGE is 888 and the lowest dps in the top 50 is 1778, that suggests that the volume of submissions is very high, and as a result you can safely form the conclusion that the data shown has some strong takeaway for your output expectations in BIS gear operating at maximum efficiency/timing.

Edited by TheWaltz

Marauders, Mercs, Snipers, and PT are quite even when it comes to dps. A great powertech will outshine a good marauder. DPS isn't really a big deal in SWTOR operations, as long as you aren't bad. If you can put out 1500 sustained dps, you should be fine.

you really dont know what you know about it merc dps is bigger thatn powertechs but only in pve in pvp on any ranked game you cant do dps cause you are a TURET and that is the problem the momment you are spot you are dead and your dps drops

Considering there's a 20%+ difference between top and bottom, I'd be leery about using that as the basis for anything.