Been told to wipe your char list by guild

Rmshadow

Guilds are weird. I'd rather pug. I good pug is like a one night stand. They're not always fun (and sometimes you're a bit itchy after), but once it's over, it's over. No strings attached.

It's honestly why I'm in love with tools like the dungeon finder. It allows me to group and enjoy group activities without the commitment and politics that come along with being in a guild. I have a 50 hour a week job and a family. I only get to play a few hours a night when my kids are in the bed... I don't need someone telling me what I should be doing or how I should be playing during the small amount of "me" time that I get.

I'd say you've been in the wrong guilds matey.

Find a fun loving mature guild and you'll have a different experience which is more fun than pugglies.

Ive heard of stuff like this but there is no solid reason for it. Instead of demanding coin they can ask that people donate. I was a hardcore raider in EQ and EQ2 .. never had I been told that you must give us any coin. Instead I was asked from time to time just to donate or craft for the guild etc .. in which case I did. Asking for help is one thing ... demanding it is a whole other can of worms.

That's crazy stuff being forced to give coin on a regular basis. I can see donations for specifics as needed but after a bit the guild should be self sufficient if it raids.

Repair yourself, sure. Bring potions, sure.

In EQ2 our guild made so much money by raiding and simply selling the droppable loot that we had monthly payouts based on raid attendance.

Some guild leaders are megalomaniac crooks.

Edited by Saurakk

Find a fun loving mature guild and you'll have a different experience which is more fun than pugglies.

Maybe you're right. I kind of lost interest when I tried to join a raiding guild in WOW and the GM wanted me to fill out an online application which included a lot of personal info (home phone #, Cell phone #, etc). I just laughed at him and said no thanks.

A lot of people hate the new raid finding tool in WOW, but to me, it's one of the best features they're put into the game. It allowed me to experience an end game raid without having to give some stranger my personal info.

So i joined a guild and the next thing i know I'm being told by the GM to wipe my char list to stay in the guild. Has anyone heard of this before?

I lead a guild for 7+ years, now lead a community and I've never heard of this.

It's your game, your characters and no one has the right to tell you what to do with your characters. Suggest...... perhaps.

Leave, I'm sure it can't be too hard to find a better guild.

Only Eve-Online from what I know has had a suspicion culture going that far amongst the 'guilds' (corporations and alliances).

In PL we'd screen applicants in a multitude of ways, going from a interview to full API key exposures. API keys and the character names of all personas on that account are run through a DB of all known spies and other persona non grata. If we find evidence ANY of the characters are owned by someone with multiple accounts then this is probed, and more checks are run if needed.

We also actively monitored IP addresses used by members and applicants wherever we had access to this info (mumble, irc services, website). These are again cross-checked against known offending IPs. The PL website and forums have a type of unicode watermarking built in which means any leaked information can be traced back to the account in question (including screenshots as the unicode watermark leaves a very minute visual marker). Passwords were monitored in a similar way. If a member would use a password that an unwanted person had used in the past that would be flagged up and investigated.

Yes sirs, internet spaceships is, and always has been, serious bzns.

Edit: so what I'm saying is, you might have accidentally joined PL in SWTOR, if they made a guild xD If so, o/ guys

It's more of a necessity in EVE with all the meta gaming. Having endured that stuff for the last few years I can't see why anyone in any other MMO would go to these extents. Granted some of the same corp/guild vulnerabilities exist here in SWTOR. But it sounds like your GM is a tad paranoid.

So i joined a guild and the next thing i know I'm being told by the GM to wipe my char list to stay in the guild. Has anyone heard of this before?

you can join our guild. bring all the alts you want and no guild fees (which is kinda wierd anyway) all we ask is that you participate in activities as much as you can and YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!:jawa_evil: j/k about the soul part, we already have our quota....:D anywho, some GM's are just egotistical ***** who have no real power in RL so they use the game to abuse it. Do what an earlier post said and tell them where they can stick a lightsaber, tell them

"Good Day. I Said Good Day!!!!", and move on.:)

Edited by Angel_of_Cain

In the immortal words of Lawrence from "Office Space"...

No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your *** kicked sayin' something like that, man.

I think you ended up in the SWTOR guild that the Pandemic Legion guys from EVE Online have started.

Granted, both are MMOs, but the environment dynamic in SWTOR is a little different to EVE and that kind of leadership control requirement does not transfer very well.

To summarise, EVE is a game where the company that produce the game says "trust no-one, not even the person staring at you in the mirror". SWTOR says "trust no-one in the opposite faction, but the people in your faction are your brothers in arms!"

Guilds are weird. I'd rather pug. I good pug is like a one night stand. They're not always fun (and sometimes you're a bit itchy after), but once it's over, it's over. No strings attached.

ROFL I love this analogy!! xD

Totally agree with this as well :) A few months back (just before Star Wars was released, coincidentally) I started becoming bored with my current MMO (okay, I'll admit it: it's WoW) and stopped logging on every night I had free time. I am now back and playing it again with renewed vigour and interest. I still don't log on every night like I used to, but that's mostly due to the fact that I also now play Star Wars!

And what kept me playing through this period of dislike? Why did I still log on to raid 3-4 nights a week?

My awesome, wonderful and friendly guildies.

I feel very lucky to have fallen in with my current guild on WoW, because it just makes the game for me some days.

Just to get back to topic slightly, I've heard of a guild on WoW that say people have to give their Real ID to the GM so that they can see all their alts - even on different realms. Apparently, if the GM saw you on your alt when you had not signed for a raid (or had signed unavailable) you would be /gkicked instantly. Even for a really REALLY hardcore raiding guild, I think that's just crazy!!

Someone earlier said that some GMs were just megalomaniacs...? Amen!! ^_^

I cannot believe that they had the gall to ask for personal details such as telephone number, etc. from you Galbatorrix!! I have never heard of any guild doing this, either.

We have a guild website where people must fill out an application, but it's all about their WoW playstyle and availability. We do ask for real name and age, but I think the real name thing is optional and the age is because we have an age limit of 18 in the guild because we're all rather dirty at times!!

I would never join a guild that would try to control my alts or how and when I play. Luckily my GM and his 'deputy' (for want of a better term) are both awesome people and have found a good balance between being organised and laid back. I count myself lucky to consider them online friends. :)

Looked into the poster to see if he responded with a reason, but this thread has been his only post.

What the hell, dude. You're only telling us a fraction of the story.

Well Magnum P.I. There is no fraction of the story his post is the story. Joined a guild got in game mail saying what he posted. That is all.

Only Eve-Online from what I know has had a suspicion culture going that far amongst the 'guilds' (corporations and alliances).

In PL we'd screen applicants in a multitude of ways, going from a interview to full API key exposures. API keys and the character names of all personas on that account are run through a DB of all known spies and other persona non grata. If we find evidence ANY of the characters are owned by someone with multiple accounts then this is probed, and more checks are run if needed.

We also actively monitored IP addresses used by members and applicants wherever we had access to this info (mumble, irc services, website). These are again cross-checked against known offending IPs. The PL website and forums have a type of unicode watermarking built in which means any leaked information can be traced back to the account in question (including screenshots as the unicode watermark leaves a very minute visual marker). Passwords were monitored in a similar way. If a member would use a password that an unwanted person had used in the past that would be flagged up and investigated.

Yes sirs, internet spaceships is, and always has been, serious bzns.

Edit: so what I'm saying is, you might have accidentally joined PL in SWTOR, if they made a guild xD If so, o/ guys

The reason I loved and hated that game... :)

So much fun, but it almost gave me ulcers.

Also by the way, in the OP's guild, the GM kept all of his alts I bet. ...

Edited by Steelyeye

I had to do a interview for my wow raiding guild

Was funny lol but was the best guild I've ever been in

Raid drops funded the guild bank and when we raided they supplied consumables

And turn on guild repairs

Also I think theres a cap on guild size so you gm may have meant no alts