PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Level 55 pvp and the match maker is an absolute joke 20+ straight losses and alway the same guild on the other side tell me how this is fun.

Not really related to this thread.

You're likely on a poor pvp server by the sound of things. I recommend moving to a higher population PvP server if you want more diversity in your play. I also highly recommend that you learn to group up with others and fighting as an organized team (just like your opponents are). You may not win all of them but you're win more. It will also force you and your team's learning curve to increase along with your gear.

This thread could use an update.

It's getting a massive overhaul. I'm almost done rewriting it. As the post three spaces above yours noted. I promise, it will be fully updated, and you all will once again be pleased. :)

Edited by Lunez

• 2 weeks later...
Okay that is one way of looking at it but standing up there to be fresh meat in for the more advanced players really is not much fun at all. Seriously who like getting their but kicked all the time? In PVP I have become a master at it and it is really getting old. I do not dig PVP at all and only do it when I need experience points to get further in other parts of the game. To be honest I am really not into PVP as much anymore. It might be different if I knew I had a chance when I went in there. It just gets so old! But until you become some sort of Super Warrior Dooms Day machine getting you but kicked is the norm! YAAAA WHOOOO it is really a good time! NOT!

Okay that is one way of looking at it but standing up there to be fresh meat in for the more advanced players really is not much fun at all. Seriously who like getting their but kicked all the time? In PVP I have become a master at it and it is really getting old. I do not dig PVP at all and only do it when I need experience points to get further in other parts of the game. To be honest I am really not into PVP as much anymore. It might be different if I knew I had a chance when I went in there. It just gets so old! But until you become some sort of Super Warrior Dooms Day machine getting you but kicked is the norm! YAAAA WHOOOO it is really a good time! NOT!

Are you basically just saying that because you suck at your class you don't enjoy PvP? Because then you'll need to read up on PvP guides or watch videos about your class in PvP.

This guide helps to give some basic information needed to be succesful in Warzones. It's a great starting guide. At this moment, the only big inconsistency I see is this sentence:

Don't get discouraged when you die a bunch of times, because it's expected to die over and over and over again until you've earned the gear, skill, and prestige to become one of the elite.

The gear discrepancy is no longer an issue with bolster (bugs notwithstanding), especially when you are leveling. Valor is not that important anymore either and skill is something you can get by following what was written in the guide...

Alright, I know I've said this but the update is coming, it's nearly complete but I have one more week of college finals to focus on instead of writing game guides, heh. The update is near, and you will all appreciate the changes.

That said, I want to comment on two recent posts and have done so below:

It's like learning how to ride a bike. You might fall down a couple times before you're the next Johnny Rockstar biker. THe moral here is that if you're not able to compete due to your lack of experience in the game, then you cant just give up, claiming that they're better and you wont ever be good enough. it's the opposite of that. It takes practice! Also, its not all about gear, but when you have exceptional playerkillers using max gear, yeah-- you're going to want to max your gear too. It's a no brainer. That said, I can pwn max gear peoppe all day long with Partisan gear from sheer skill. So remember that the secret is skill. If you lack it, you need to practice more. Better guides coming soon! I promise!

The gear discrepancy is no longer an issue with bolster (bugs notwithstanding), especially when you are leveling. Valor is not that important anymore either and skill is something you can get by following what was written in the guide...

Valor and gear is still very much important, maybe not gear so much until 55 but still, the moment you hit valor 40, you need to be converting all your comms into rated comms so when you hit 55, you will be maxed. I Have a whole chapter on this that I think you'll enjoy.

That said, you are absolutely correct with your discrepancy, and the issue has been addressed with the new bolster pre-55 system, specifically how it relates to the pre-30 brackets, pre-50, and pre-55 brackets. The new bolster system is incredible balanced actually.

Edited by Lunez

A video from some lucky german noobs! But it´s a nice BG!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9zz7tgNsTA :D

THanks bud, it's actually quite useful to have videos in multiple languages. I'll add this to the guide. Ona up note, I have the rest of the ngiht to goof off away from school, therefore I'm going to dedicate the next few hours to posting up the new guide. If you can gather up a collection of good warzone youtube videos, feel free to list em here so I can review and add them

Hey folks, I've been away from the game a long while but now I'm back! I must admit that I'm a bit taken back by all the jerk bags that have commented on this thread for no other reason than to troll some lame out dated comment about how cool they are but then again, this is the internet, lol.

That said, a lot has changed since last I played and much of the original thread is no longer valid. I'm writing to you all that a rehaul is coming and a brand new pvp guide is on the way. Ignore the haters and look out for the next edition of How to Become a Contender coming soon!

Awesome! I look forward to it. Thank you so much.

this is my first mmo. and it was fun for a bit, then i tryed the pvp part of the game. the first two games of the old republic were good. this one well lets just say its ok.....i did the guld thing and they helped with nothing..........but worst of all, is how pvp players treat u if your not that good........good luck getting more people to play :( Edited by Anodizer

this is my first mmo. and it was fun for a bit, then i tryed the pvp part of the game. the first two games of the old republic were good. this one well lets just say its ok.....i did the guld thing and they helped with nothing..........but worst of all, is how pvp players treat u if your not that good........good luck getting more people to play :(

Hey, don't give up on it! If the guild you joined isn't doing it for you, go into general chat on the fleet and say something like "LF Guild who can help a new player learn how to PvP better." Ignore the first 5 idiots who respond saying "go home n00b" or whatever nonsense they come out with, and see if any guilds actually respond to you. Someone looking to learn makes for a promising new member. In terms of players trashing you for not being good, that's what the "ignore" feature is for. The majority of players, hey I'll even go further and say the majority of PvPers, are not jerks. It's just a vocal minority who get their kicks from putting others down.

Hey, don't give up on it! If the guild you joined isn't doing it for you, go into general chat on the fleet and say something like "LF Guild who can help a new player learn how to PvP better." Ignore the first 5 idiots who respond saying "go home n00b" or whatever nonsense they come out with, and see if any guilds actually respond to you.

^

Exactly. Finding the right guild is not easy but when yo do it makes everything more fun and learning faster.

You can hit me up on the Bastion if you are there. We are using teamspeak. If you haven't already, I would download and install the 3 free chat clients that most people use (ventrilo, teamspeak, mumble). For each chat client you can find a public server to test it with.

There are lots of rude people on the internet and a fair number of friendly people. Ignore the former and seek out the later if that is your preference.

I wouldn't consider gear to be the biggest determinant of how someone performs in a WZ. Mechanics (which you sort of brush in the last part of the article with VOIP communication) are the best way to better one's performance in a game, this can range from keybinding to general class knowledge.

Remember friends, knowledge is power :)

Also, play your level 50 more than an hour a week. I don't want to group with your lev 50 recruit geared jugg, then your level 50 recruit geared sniper, then your level 50 recruit geared sage. Gear a damn toon =P.

• 2 weeks later...
no recruit gear has been eliminated. Warzone bolster + PvE gear replaces recruit gear.

partizan and conqueror are the current PvP gear sets.

Thank you for the quick response.

It's a part of the guide that could be updated (if the op is still about)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for someone to update the guide on here especially since it was last updated VERSION 1.16

UPDATED: 6-28-12, since all the changes to the SWTOR game 2.0. We are fixing to get 2.3 in the game. I love SWTOR; I started out rogue not knowing anything about MMO, or this game, and especially modifications and gear. I am level 55 I am realizing and learning new stuff daily and its hard to build up commendations other than creating new toons.

----------------------------------------

2) Gearing up for Warzones

----------------------------------------

Level 1: Recruit

Once you're level 50 and are prepared to get serious about beginning the long glorious road to PvP greatness, you need to start by buying a set of Recruit gear from the PvP vendor. T

Does anyone know where this vendor is?