I just don't understand all the hate for

Jarlathe

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow, I get the really bad feeling that Gungans in the game would do for Star Wars what the Pandaren Race will do for the new World of Warcraft expansion in a few months, or whenever they release it. Maybe this bad feeling I get leads to no where, but more likely, it would lead to no where good. Edited by Everepic

Jar Jar Binks. Seriously, he wasn't that bad and I'm kinda sad we can't play a Gungan. No logical reason that I can see that the race wouldn't be able to join the Jedi Order. The only class I can't see them as are Troopers.

Thoughts?

George Lucas has been actively D-bagging Star Wars for a long time. When updated special effects versions came out in boxed sets on VHS in the 90's they force-fed the Director's interviews in front of every fricking tape. That's how full of himself this guy is.

Jar Jar Binks is the visual characterization of George Lucas' D-baggery.

Edited by Hironobu

I grew up with the Original Trilogy, and in my opinion jar was not that bad. he had his comic moments and very annoying moments. But like someone pointed out, he was meant for kids. The vast majority of people who saw EI and loathed him where teenagers and adults. Kids liked him not all but a great amount did.

There is nothing wrong with Jar Jar. He may not be awesome but he's just the innocent, clumsy archetype.

Honestly, how is it that a half bear, half urang utan that communicates only in growls, has long hair on his paws and somehow manages to be a pretty fine mechanic nonetheless, gets praised as a wonderful character and Jar Jar gets all the hate?

The massive automatic hate that poor character is given just shows how many people just mindlessly parrot the consensus.

Hey now, the difference between Chewie and Jar-Jar is immense, Chewie isnt designed as any real racial stereotypes...I half waited for Jar-Jar to say "mastah" and start dancing minstrel somewhere in the first movie. Chewie also did things purposefully. Jar-Jar stumbled his way through one battle, was influenced into setting up the Empire, etc. etc. Frankly there is no comparison. While we never understood what Chewie said, you cant remove his character from the universe and get the same series. You remove Jar-Jar and the same cant be said.

Jar jar was added specifically for kids, its been stated many times, of course adults are not going to connect with the character, even dislike him, but as far as i'm aware kids like him and thats what matters.

And to add some meaning to the character as a whole, as many of you are aware, jar jar is the linchpin to the birth of the empire itself and one more thing that should be considered, remember how clumsy he is yet always manages to get through any situation? in a universe where there is no coincidence only the force, its clear the force is always working through jar jar. From a philosophical stand point i quite like that idea as it relates to the force having a sense of humor and the force always looking out for fools and little children.

Edited by Adryn

Jar Jar is da devil!....But seriously The Lucas fails at cute and annoying

ewoks were better . Jar Jar annoyed lots and lots of people and thats why his role was limited in other two movies..I was kinda hoping someone kill him in 2 or 3..preferably anakin but it didnt happen

I never could understand the claim that jar jar is a racial stereotype. To this day i can't figure out what race that would be.

And jar jar is both useless and boring but when that harmless if inept character inspires hatred.....there is something else going on...something explained less by jar jar than by the viewer.

I'm also with whoever said that Jar Jar is no more annoying than the loud and repetitive senseless mawing of chewbacca over films 5 and 6. I wanted to hit the mute button every time chewy appeared on-screen

I don't have hate for Binks, but I do think his time in the story should have ended after taking Obi Wan and Anakin to the Gun Gun city.

I can totally agree with that ^

just to find hundreds of people *hate* something or someone, and the reason isn't immediately clear to me.....i find that very disturbing.

this^

first time i've ever ever heard talk of racism surrounding jar jar.

When the movie first came out the complaint was that Jar Jar Binks, seemed to resemble hollywoods potrayals of African Americans during their less PC days. Mainly it seemed a throwback to a rather negative era in films.

Lucas probably didn't intend it to come across as such, but it was how it was precieved by some.

Edited by HARBINGERXIII

Yeah i never understood the hate for Jar Jar or the Ewoks for that matter?

Maybe its because i watched the original trilogy when i was like 5 and loved the little teddy bears (Though now ive grown up and realised it could and should have been wookies im a bit annoyed...)

But Jar Jar i thought was great.

Thats probably just me still in my 8 year old mind lmao.

If we really want to talk about annoying characters. Anakin in the prequels pissed me off (up until the last half hour of III).

Padme needs to be shot. She annoys the hell out of me. Whiney cow.