smuggler story is bad

simplius

im a HUGE han solo fan so please be patient

a ground rule in games : NEVER give something to a player, and take it away again,

without them being able to do ANYTHING

here its "im a noob smuggler , so i FORGOT to secure my ship,,,bye bye ship"

and so i spend the next 3 planets , chasing "my" ship,,that i only saw a cutscene of

and that makes the EPIC moment , when i DO get it back feeling awkward too

going on board for the first time,,,on "my" old ship

and the story was right in front of them( no , not a sabacc game)

but a storyline , that actually involved GETTING A SHIP

getting some money for informations

using those informations to hack maintenance droids/whatever

and setting up an ambush to to get rid of the previous owner

but here , han just sighs, and says "too bad,,i guess, ill just grind missions , until i find one

involving my ship"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you didn't get very far in the story, did you? for the record, you get your ship after 2 planets, not 3. Ord Mantell and Coruscant. and that's because every class gets their ship after the first two planets. your ship gets stolen because you need a reason to not have your ship at the beginning of the game, and a stolen ship is a great motivation to progress further through the story to get it back.

personally, i like the smuggler story the best out of all the class stories, but that's just me.

you didn't get very far in the story, did you? for the record, you get your ship after 2 planets, not 3. Ord Mantell and Coruscant. and that's because every class gets their ship after the first two planets. your ship gets stolen because you need a reason to not have your ship at the beginning of the game, and a stolen ship is a great motivation to progress further through the story to get it back.

personally, i like the smuggler story the best out of all the class stories, but that's just me.

seriously?? have u ever SEEN a star wars movie?

no i didnt get far,,and u seem to forget the newbie planet

i know we get ships a t lvl 17, but it would have been FAR better, to simply not HAVE a ship from start

jedis dont start with a lightsaber either, it would have made SO much more sense,,both storywise

and in gameplay,,to go out and GET a ship , rather than getting a stolen ship back,,and no, han solo

would NOT have done it this way,,look at the remastered edition of ANH,,han actually provokes

jabba before takeoff,,,but here im supposed to just get on his trail and grind missions to get it back?

how many stolen cars disappear on earth,,and now imsupposed to find a single ship in the galaxy?

good luck with that,,no han would have :

gotten money for a bountyhunter

or a new ship, and try to chase the thief

Edited by simplius

seriously?? have u ever SEEN a star wars movie?

no i didnt get far,,and u seem to forget the newbie planet

i know we get ships a t lvl 17, but it would have been FAR better, to simply not HAVE a ship from start

jedis dont start with a lightsaber either, it would have made SO much more sense,,both storywise

and in gameplay,,to go out and GET a ship , rather than getting a stolen ship back,,and no, han solo

would NOT have done it this way,,look at the remastered edition of ANH,,han actually provokes

jabba before takeoff,,,but here im supposed to just get on his trail and grind missions to get it back?

how many stolen cars disappear on earth,,and now imsupposed to find a single ship in the galaxy?

good luck with that,,no han would have :

gotten money for a bountyhunter

or a new ship, and try to chase the thief

Do you know Han? Because Han would NOT I REPEAT WOULD NOT hire a bounty hunter. Also, he's a smuggler, he smuggles for a living. If you don't have a ship, how would a smuggler get money to even hire the hunter? No, he would chase the ship himself, so he could kill the b******!

I get the feeling that the OP missed the bit where he was flying into hot zone that (presumably) is under a supplies blockade, hence why he's smuggling weapons in. If the Republic is preventing the resistance from getting weapon supplies, they're not going to let every Tom, Dick and Harry with a sob story just get a new ship.

Do you know Han? Because Han would NOT I REPEAT WOULD NOT hire a bounty hunter. Also, he's a smuggler, he smuggles for a living. If you don't have a ship, how would a smuggler get money to even hire the hunter? No, he would chase the ship himself, so he could kill the b******!

yes,,he smuggles DRUGS,,and his employer is JABBA THE HUTT,,one of the biggest and baddest

crimelords in the universe,,and how did he get the money for millenium falcon,,which wasnt his first ship btw

and how will u catch a spaceship, without one urself?? call a cab? run REALLY fast?

i know he would PREFER to take the chase personally, but as a drugrunner for the mob,,bounty time

I get the feeling that the OP missed the bit where he was flying into hot zone that (presumably) is under a supplies blockade, hence why he's smuggling weapons in. If the Republic is preventing the resistance from getting weapon supplies, they're not going to let every Tom, Dick and Harry with a sob story just get a new ship.

i get that smugglers cant start with a ship, but wait to lvl 17 like all other

but here i DO start with a ship,,which they then take away again,,to have me chase it down, so

they can return it again later

this was the ONE class, where the mechanics of "how-to-get-a.ship" could be played out

but they dropped it it , and WASTED one of the epic classes in star wars

and since the story is one of the most important parts of this game,,no wonder subs are dropping

yes,,he smuggles DRUGS,,and his employer is JABBA THE HUTT,,one of the biggest and baddest

crimelords in the universe,,and how did he get the money for millenium falcon,,which wasnt his first ship btw

and how will u catch a spaceship, without one urself?? call a cab? run REALLY fast?

i know he would PREFER to take the chase personally, but as a drugrunner for the mob,,bounty time

Actually, Han didn't buy the Millennium Falcon. He won it in the Cloud City Sabacc Tournament from Lando.

exactly,,that was a "plot-driven" acquisition,,and he had to scrounge money for the game too

that would have felt so cheap in a game,,here there was the chance to actually LIVE it

just as getting the lightsaber is a part of jedi story,,here i could have been the GOAL to get

a NEW ship,,not getting an old ship BACK

Edited by simplius

a NEW ship,,not getting an old ship BACK

That old ship which was your life, your favourite and still had all your stuff on it when it was stolen from you and you were stranded in a war zone? Does the sentimental value of your home really mean so little? It's not like it was destroyed or you gave it up willingly - some bell end stole and you're just willing to give it up?

Personally I don't think it would make any sense for an inter-planetary smuggler not to have their own ship. Besides, the whole bloody thing is just a MacGuffin to get you out and about.

Hell there is an option in the beginning when they are asking you to go off and stop the rebels you can have your smuggler say "If i die, bury me with my ship and my credits" The smuggler LOVES that ship, poured every drop of blood, sweat and tears into it.

You're damn right i'd chase the SoB thought the galaxy to get my ship back hell or high water.

I would not just be "Oh well, my ship's gone, my lively hood, onto the next!" It would be "I'm gonna kill that mother frakker and get my ship back, then i'm gonna hang his hide from the walls!"

Edited by TalonVII

Hell there is an option in the beginning when they are asking you to go off and stop the rebels you can have your smuggler say "If i die, bury me with my ship and my credits" The smuggler LOVES that ship, poured every drop of blood, sweat and tears into it.

You're damn right i'd chase the SoB thought the galaxy to get my ship back hell or high water.

I would not just be "Oh well, my ship's gone, my lively hood, onto the next!" It would be "I'm gonna kill that mother frakker and get my ship back, then i'm gonna hang his hide from the walls!"

This. Especially this ship, a ship which was one of the fastest in the galaxy. Also, it's not only drugs. The only reson for going to Ord Mantell was to give weapons, (to the rebels I presume) and then you steal chemicals I believe from

Rogun the Butcher

As for scrounging for money to enter the sabacc tourney, wasn't the admission low? I don't remember, I have those books somewhere.;) Han was on a hot streak, and got lucky with an idiots array, I believe, and Lando was out of money. He used the Falcon as a voucher in order to stay in the game. Lando had sabaac, but Han had his Idiot's array, which is useless unless someone has sabaac, in which the Idiot's array wins.

Edited by Canino

This. Especially this ship, a ship which was one of the fastest in the galaxy. Also, it's not only drugs. The only reson for going to Ord Mantell was to give weapons, (to the rebels I presume) and then you steal chemicals I believe from

Rogun the Butcher

actually, the weapons were for Mr. Spoilers to protect his stuff from the Seperatists, which is why he's after you in the first place. you let his weapons get stolen, so you have to die. the chemicals were something else that he wanted. they were used as a distraction while you make preparations to get your ship and his weapons back.

I would say something pithy here. But it would be a waste of time.

If you don't like the smuggler story, play a different story. And leave the smugglers to their happy, merry smuggling ways, without you.

Edited to add: my bounty hunter had to steal a ship. I keep asking, throughout her story, why I can't steal another, nicer ship. Like an agent's ships. Those things are sweet. Instead, I'm stuck with the clunker.

Edited by Phyreblade
new idea

If you don't like the smuggler story, play a different story. And leave the smugglers to their happy, merry smuggling ways, without you.

Edited to add: my bounty hunter had to steal a ship. I keep asking, throughout her story, why I can't steal another, nicer ship. Like an agent's ships. Those things are sweet. Instead, I'm stuck with the clunker.

I can think of quite a few things I don't particularly like about the smuggler story (still a good one though), but the opening is not one of them, so I'm going to just say "^ What he(?) said." And ESPECIALLY agreed on the Bounty Hunter ship.

I can think of quite a few things I don't particularly like about the smuggler story (still a good one though), but the opening is not one of them, so I'm going to just say "^ What he(?) said." And ESPECIALLY agreed on the Bounty Hunter ship.

There's a couple of things I do like about my Bounty Hunter ship:

(1) I get Blizz and he's apparently determined to work on improving the ship. I'm not sure of the asthetics of his efforts. But regardless I figure it'll end up being pretty spiffy before to long.

(2) There's a holding cell in the cargo bay. Which makes a weird sort of sense, given my profession. That, and when I have friends visiting, they get awesome screenies sitting there in my holding cell. That's cool.

Still, it's an ugly-as-heck little ship. I'd gladly move Blizz and my holding cell onto a prettier ship I managed to steal. Come on, I'm the Champion of the Great Hunt. Braden mentioned "Glory" AND "Riches". Why I'm flying around in a beat-up mess of a ship is beyond me, sigh.

I'd also like to add that the smuggler is my brother, per my legacy. I figure he refuses to give up his ship for the same reason I want another one. His is nicer than mine, shrug.

Well I think the whole storyline with the ship is well done since you can't start with the ship (for obvious reasons). So there were basically only two options to hack this game-play limitation: either you lost your ship (was stolen) or you get/buy the ship some time later. The second option is even more dumb since smuggler really isn't a smuggler without a ship.

I don't get it. Not having a ship (like all other classes) on the first two planets makes the whole story bad?

And how is Han Solo involved in the Old Republic?

He isn't he was used as an example of a smuggler, a few statements seem to mix up the Smuggler characters nad Solo though? A bad start doesn't automatically ruin a story, but the smuggler should have gotten more than one glimpse, maybe two or three, with at least one lingering on it while the smuggler briefly remarks on some of the scrapes it's been through.

I pretty much disagree with the OP. The Smuggler story is pretty good. The Smuggler having his ship stolen on Ord Mantell gives the Smuggler an initial conflict (with the person who stole the ship) and a goal (find the stolen ship).

It's the same with the lightsaber for Jedi and Sith characters. The point in the story on Tython when the JK gets a lightsaber felt like an accomplishment.

It was the same for the Sith Warrior; the way the Sith Warrior obtained his lightsaber felt like a very Sith achievement. The SI not so much.

If you want to see a bad story and atrocious dialogue, play the SI story past Act I. It is the single most unsatisfying story in the game.

Going after the guy who stole my ship was a whole lot more engaging than... well... pretty much the rest of Chapter 1. (Except the very end.)

Engaging short-term goals that can be finished in a planet or two are a lot more interesting than going from planet to planet to planet doing fetch quests that will eventually lead up to some more plot progression.

Edited by JediMB

i disagree with the OP. the smuggler story was great, ESPECIALLY the intense moments chasing your ship. when you finally get it back, its soooo redeeming, similar to when

the warrior kills Baras

REDEMPTION AT LAST! the OP clearly hasn't played the rest of the story, because it was by far one of the better ones