WoW to SWOTR Classes Comparison thread, Help?

CedwardJ

So basically i'm just trying to compare the classes from WoW to the classes in SWTOR and am going to base my class roll off this thread. I am leaning more towards playign something mage or hunter like. If anyone could give a detailed list that would be great, So far i know for sure that:

Inquisitor Assassin -> Feral druid / Rogue ish?

Inquisitor Sorcerror -> Mage / Warlock ish?

Any more?

It's for a general feel for all the classes and for the people who have had the time to play all the classes and would like to give some kind of valid opinions.

I have played most of the classes. And my advice is to not compare it to WoW. This is not WoW. TOR is a very different structure.

Edited by Meluna

I understand the point behind this thread, but a good number of visitors aren't too keen on the "TOR / WoW Comparison" topic. I'm not saying it's unjustified as the game really does try to be its own beast, starting with no auto-attack and the player typically fighting 1 - 4 mobs at any given quest.

But to answer your original question, the parallels are definitely there. But the differences are so vast, a comparison could take all day.

Edited by Digital-N-Plus

Operative = WoW Rogue with heals

Sniper/Gunslinger = Hunter(long ranged weapon DPS)

Shadow/Assassin = Enhancement Shaman without heals, with Stealth

Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight = WoW Warrior

Sorcerer/Sage = Priest

Edited by Faolon

Operative = WoW Rogue with heals

Sniper/Gunslinger = Hunter(long ranged weapon DPS)

Shadow/Assassin = Enhancement Shaman without heals, with Stealth

Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight = WoW Warrior

Sorcerer/Sage = Priest

Thank you for being the only one who could give me a solid answer without a whitty reply behind it. Much appretiated!

It's a loose comparison tho, go to the website and see the each class description and class roles. It's easy and accurate.

Yes, however, it's close enough. I'll even explain my reasoning:

Operative = Rogue

Essentially, they're a close ranged class that relies on poisons and burst damage. They'll do their best damage while incapacitating the target. Very difficult to play if you don't use all the tools available.

Sniper/Gunslinger = Hunter

This is the loosest of the comparisons. However, they all want the same thing: To keep everything at a distance so they can lay down the hurt. If you keep a hunter/Sniper in melee range, they're not without defenses, but they're nowhere near as dangerous as they would be if you let them do their thing.

Assassin/Shadow = Enhancement Shaman

They're a melee heavy class, with ranged abilities. Shock/Project essentially filling the role of the Shaman's Shocks. They'll only use their other ranged abilities when they've got a proc for it.

Sorcerer/Sage = Priest

Bubbles, ranged damage, heals. Force Lightning and Telekinetic Wave are essentially the same thing as Mind Flay.

However, there is a mix of Elemental Shaman in these two classes. With talents giving them a chance to cast a second copy of a spell for free at 50% of the damage. Also, chain lightning.

Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight = Warrior

Both pure melee classes. They've got a charge ability to close the gap, retaliation-like ability. Melee DoTs. They can throw their weapon. Not to mention the resource system is the same, even if the numbers are different.

Edited by Faolon

I was wondering about similar thing. How is swtor compared to minesweeper?

actualy they are more alike then you think differnce is starwars has more stuff plus a story.. the way they are alike is in mine sweep you clik on blocks and hope not to get blown up in starwas you click on mobs and blow them up

It would appear the ad hominem made against me was deleted by a mod. I didn't know these boards were moderated yet. Good to know! :cool:

At the end of the day, anything with a melee weapon is going to get called a "warrior", anything ranged is going to get called a "mage" or "warlock" or "hunter", and anything that can heal is gonna get called a "priest".

But I wouldn't call them that. They are just too different.

From a healer perspective - frankly, there are only so many ways you can heal other players, and those of us that play healers notice skills that are similar to healing skills from other games (this is bigger than just a WoW comparison).

To say that Smuggler/IA are like rogues is a gross oversimplification. The Smuggler/IA choice gives a base set of skills, but it is the advanced class decision that will define your character. As can be seen on the ToR Head Talent Calculators, within each AC there are two completely distinct styles of play (and that's not including the shared talent tree).

So, taking Smuggler/IA as an example. There is a healing tree, a stealth melee tree, and two ranged damage trees (one is direct damage, the other is DoTs).

So, saying that an Smuggler/IA is a rogue would ignore at least three of its talent trees. The same is true as you look at all of the classes in this game. Each AC is capable of two very different playstyles.

Edited by Twighlight

ok i have played both games

and yes there is alot of comparison

but there is not a whole lot of things that could be done different

like you have to have a tank and you have to have a healer in all games

different tallents but same basics

WOW has been out alot longer so of course you are going to compare it to wow

its wow in another dimension

like wow compared to EQ

the comparison will go on forever in games

Edited by Ibetheone

Why are people so butthurt over wow? Many players come from wow, and they would like to know if there are similar classes they liked in wow. And there are lots of similarities f. ex. 3 talents trees per class etc. Guys, stop hating.

^What he said. Basically, this guy comes here to get an idea of what the classes are like and wants some sort of help from the community by comparing it to something he already knows (aka. WoW), but instead he gets flamed for it. Everyone knows this game isn't WoW, get off your high horse and offer helpful insight... Thanks! And Have a :) Day Edited by MasterProphecy