BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone comment on ammo issues on the PTS? I'm hearing things that make me worry, and can't test it myself atm =(

I haven't noticed any problems on the PTS other than that Missile Salvo still costs too much heat for the amount of damage it does (only very slightly more than Rapid Shots).

Edit: Stupid oversight by me - due to the alacrity changes everything takes so much longer to cast so it might be easy to overlook the heat changes. Rail Shot does have a higher cost now and is no longer free when using the PVE set bonus.

Edited by Jenzali

Yeah I finally got my commando on the PTS using the work around. Ammo management takes some getting used to, but with a little adjustment I don't think I'll be using too many more hammer shots than I do live, and 7300 Demos and 6200 HiBs are very welcome as regular crits. Stock Arkanian gear got me to about 30% crit rate and I had over 1218 bonus damage, so we'll see about optimizing that.

Definitely going to have to get used to using hammer shot only after I dip into low tier regen.

This is all PVE though. In PVP we'll have to see how the net fares as well as the other changes.

This thread keeps going...

...I really want to see 'overpowered' mercs and commandos in 2.0 (neither is my main). They have been screwed over for so long time...

...And before people come in and tell us 'they need to be balanced': The game will never be balanced. The balance will always shift, and keep shifting. The only way of fixing the class, is to give it enough tools to make it a little overpowered, and then tone it down, because otherwise no one will play the class (when there are other clearly better choices).

Edited by SneiK

Can anyone comment on ammo issues on the PTS? I'm hearing things that make me worry, and can't test it myself atm =(

do not fear sir.

Pyro heat management is still awesome. Arsenal is a little worse off, but is still fine. I was able to maintain full DPS output on my gunnery mando against a dummy just buy tapping on hammer shots atter every unload. 4 seconds of straight ammo regen is good

Seems to me that the buffs are fairly modest relative to (a) the status quo of the AC and (b) the changes to the other ACs. I'll believe it when we see it, but I don't think 2.0 will change our relative position. We'll still be the lowest in the PvP food chain. Edited by klham

If you're getting out dpsed by a tank then you are bad.

Nah, at the top skill levels an Assassin tank will be able to out dps a Merc dps. Sure it is an Assassin tank in dps gear and not fully up the tank skill tree. But he'll still be in tank stance. He'll still have a ton more damage mitigation than the Merc. He'll still be able to guard and taunt. Plus he can stealth defend. And do more dps.

Explosive Round has gone back to being useless at a 25 Ammo cost on the PTS, it was free before the last patch. It's now useless again. Why can't it cost 10 Ammo or something? The damage isn't high enough to warrant 25 ammo.

It wasn't free. The 25 heat cost simply wasn't triggered until after the 3 shot sequence was completed. Now that Explosive Round/Missile Salvo doesn't have that 3 shot sequence, the heat cost occurs initially.

But yeah, it is not an ability that you will be using. Not in PvP. Not in PvE. It is not an effective use of your resource stack.

Imo We still suck as a whole when put paired with the other classes for wz and the only real class I would swicth out for a merc would have been a sniper maybe...but now no way in H E double hockey stick would I Electro net so far really feels suckish and even bugs out a few time(bound to be fixed ofc) but we cant compare with snipers in terms of damage anymore not even close:( While the healing tress is really just confusing me im forced into taking a worthless talent to get to a mediocore talent to help my probes. As a whole the #1 issue for merc and mandos is being intterupted:rolleyes:. I do however adore hold the line. :)

and yes its possible all this could still change but its unlikely:(

Edited by Lalainnia

Electro net so far really feels suckish and even bugs out a few time(bound to be fixed ofc)

In all probability it is not a bug with Electro Net. It is just a smart opposing player using his cc breaker after you put Electro Net on him. In time, the majority of players will learn to do this and Electro Net will become relatively ineffective. Similar to how Mercs rapidly dropped in effectiveness a month or so after the game's release as players learned how to use interrupts. Same thing. Same result.

In all probability it is not a bug with Electro Net. It is just a smart opposing player using his cc breaker after you put Electro Net on him. In time, the majority of players will learn to do this and Electro Net will become relatively ineffective. Similar to how Mercs rapidly dropped in effectiveness a month or so after the game's release as players learned how to use interrupts. Same thing. Same result.

So true :(

This is poop, can't even try 2.0 with my Commando, keeps failing on the transfer.

Still haven't addressed us being less useful than Vanguard in assault spec, we're a little better on the healing spec side and gunnery is still lacking proper direction on our role (still no immune to interrupt skill if we're supposed to be a 'turret').

This is poop, can't even try 2.0 with my Commando, keeps failing on the transfer.

Still haven't addressed us being less useful than Vanguard in assault spec, we're a little better on the healing spec side and gunnery is still lacking proper direction on our role (still no immune to interrupt skill if we're supposed to be a 'turret').

Try stripping all your companions and putting their gear in your cargo hold then trying the transfer.

Worked for my commando. Didn't work for my sentinel.

It wasn't free. The 25 heat cost simply wasn't triggered until after the 3 shot sequence was completed. Now that Explosive Round/Missile Salvo doesn't have that 3 shot sequence, the heat cost occurs initially.

But yeah, it is not an ability that you will be using. Not in PvP. Not in PvE. It is not an effective use of your resource stack.

Maybe it was slightly bugged then because I never had it take ammo even after 3 rounds and the tooltip didn't have an ammo cost in it. :/

For a skill that uses 1/4 of your resources, it should hit like a bus.

Edited by Aramyth

No, it hits like a Merc.

It's like the stockstrike nerf all over again. We needed some sort of root. They put it in the worst place possible. We needed a good ability to run and gun that wasn't on a long cooldown. We even suggested explosive round would be a good candidate if they could adjust the horrific ammo cost and up the damage through talents.

So hilariously hilariously bad.

Though at least now we finally have that guaranteed proc for Plasma Cell.

It's like the stockstrike nerf all over again.

Well it's not as bad. I mean no one used Missile Blast anyway. Now no one will use Missile Salvo. No net change.

Personally I felt that the 3 step combat resolution of Missile Salvo had potential. Increase the difficulty of using it for the players, and give them a apple at the end of the rainbow. At least conceptually good, if lacking in the actual damage output. But now that Missile Salvo is dumbed down to be a single button insta cast, there is no way it will be buffed to become useful.

My thoughts on the 2 ability's for the merc, LOL and L,,AAAAAAAAAWL. OK the net, what of it? stops people getting away right? so how do WE get away? jugs can jump to friends, inqs can sprint, maras/sins/ops can stealth out and they even gave the sniper with all his range and flash bangs an escape but the mercs well, nah have a cookie that puts one dot and slight root on one target. If i wasn't able to stand up to one target i would not be a level 50 merc its getting the hell away from that one target's back up when they start rushing in that's the problem but im sure it will feel totally fair putting a rooting net on a sentinel that's in our faces slicing us to bits i don't even wear bounty hunter Armour anymore mercs have no business wearing jet packs as the only class that has no disengage skill in the game. oh and i cant wait to try and use the net to stop players rushing ME like im going anywhere TY for prolonging my agony BW think il just stick to running in and dumping missiles till im killed then tutting to myself that my jet boost made no difference while the sorcs sprint away. *vents heat

My thoughts on the 2 ability's for the merc, LOL and L,,AAAAAAAAAWL. OK the net, what of it? stops people getting away right? so how do WE get away? jugs can jump to friends, inqs can sprint, maras/sins/ops can stealth out and they even gave the sniper with all his range and flash bangs an escape but the mercs well, nah have a cookie that puts one dot and slight root on one target. If i wasn't able to stand up to one target i would not be a level 50 merc its getting the hell away from that one target's back up when they start rushing in that's the problem but im sure it will feel totally fair putting a rooting net on a sentinel that's in our faces slicing us to bits i don't even wear bounty hunter Armour anymore mercs have no business wearing jet packs as the only class that has no disengage skill in the game. oh and i cant wait to try and use the net to stop players rushing ME like im going anywhere TY for prolonging my agony BW think il just stick to running in and dumping missiles till im killed then tutting to myself that my jet boost made no difference while the sorcs sprint away. *vents heat

Hold the Line/Hydraulic Overrides should be pretty helpful in getting away.