An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Alter Environment

Aurbere

"My only weapon is The Force!"- Plo Koon, practitioner of Alter Environment

It has been some time since I did a Force power thread, so here it is. The topic of Alter Environment can up in the Plo Koon vs. Darth Sion thread some time ago. I have decided to shed some light on this incredibly powerful ability, not because of that past thread but because I want to bring back the Force Powers thread series.

Alter Environment is the ability to use the Force to manipulate the surrounding environment. This would allow the Jedi to create dense fogs, small whirlwinds, or change temperatures. With proper knowledge of physics, a Jedi could do so much more. A Jedi could affect the environment in such ways that they could incapacitate an opponent with ease. Using this ability, combined with a knowledge of physics, the Jedi could remove the oxygen from the air surrounding an opponent to suffocate them or increase the air pressure surrounding an opponent to burst their eardrums.

A Jedi could use this ability to send electrical surges through the ground or freeze the surrounding air to near zero temperatures, then raise the temperature to a blistering heat. A Jedi could gather the moisture in the air to create a flood or remove the moisture altogether. The Jedi could even affect rainstorms to intensify or remove them. A Jedi could intensify lightning storms to call down lightning strikes wherever the Jedi chose. Furthermore, a Jedi could manipulate calm seas to create massive whirlpools or giant tidal waves.

One would assume such an ability would heavily drain the user, yes? No. This ability requires very little energy. Instead, the user harnesses the innate energy of the object that they intend to manipulate for their own purposes. This results in a Jedi creating massive environmental phenomenons while expending little to no energy. However, such phenomenons require precise control to prevent catastrophies.

In the waning years of the Galactic Republic, Jedi Master Plo Koon excelled with this ability due to his expert knowledge in physics. As such, he was able to create dense fogs, whirlwinds, freezing or blistering temperatures, and even freeze small lakes and rivers.

I see no real drawbacks of this power as it requires little energy from the user. With the proper control, a Jedi could turn the environment against their enemies with ease.

*A Force cult showed immense mastery of this ability. Name that Force cult.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

The Witches of Dathomir have some spells that work to that effect I think.

That wasn't the Force cult I was going for, but okay.

The Force cult that I am looking for has an extensive knowledge of this ability.

As to the Witches. Their abilities were not as advanced as that of the cult in question.

Baran Do sages? Idk if that was the right spelling. I remember the Hidden Ones and the lightning rod techniques learned by Luke in Fate Of the Jedi

Yup!

Before the Jedi started taking potential sages, the Baran Do used their powers to prevent natural catastrophies. They were also quite capable with Farsight, allowing them to see when natural catastrophies would occur and then they could use their power to stop it.

They also used Farsight to stop wars from happening as well.

Edit: On a side note, I will be starting a Force cult thread series so look for that.

Edited by Aurbere

Are you going to cover any of the alchemy based Force abilities. I would enjoy also a look at the sithspawn or any creatures, non-sentient, touched by the Force

Yes I do. I'll cover all of those sometime soon. Most likely when I cover Sith Alchemy and Sith Magic.

Streen (One of Luke's first apprentices) comes to mind from the Jedi Academy trilogy. He was quite adept at making windstorms, and almost killed Luke with one (accidentally... Sort of...).

Yep, very true. Imo, I don't think Alter Environment requires a great deal of strength in The Force, just control and some knowledge of the physical and the natural.

A powerful ability indeed... did the Sith ever practice this technique? (the violent storms on Dromund Kaas for example)

And I look forward to your in-depths on Force cults. I hope the Nightsisters will feature, andThe Jedi Path tells me the Black Knights might be interesting - unless of course that's all there is on them...

A powerful ability indeed... did the Sith ever practice this technique? (the violent storms on Dromund Kaas for example)

And I look forward to your in-depths on Force cults. I hope the Nightsisters will feature, andThe Jedi Path tells me the Black Knights might be interesting - unless of course that's all there is on them...

I would say so. Like I said, it doesn't require a great deal of power, only control and knowledge of the physical and natural worlds, so for the Sith to use it wouldn't be a stretch. However, many of Alter Environment's uses are mainly pacification. It can be used to kill, but I think Sith prefer the more 'direct' approach.

Yep. Basically any group of Force-users not apart of the Jedi or Sith will be featured, so Nightsisters are in. Gonna have to do some research on the Black Knights before doing a thread on them. Hopefully the Black Knight from the Monty Python movie (forget which one) isn't a member :p

Yep. Basically any group of Force-users not apart of the Jedi or Sith will be featured, so Nightsisters are in. Gonna have to do some research on the Black Knights before doing a thread on them. Hopefully the Black Knight from the Monty Python movie (forget which one) isn't a member :p

Ha, ha! Don't get ahead of yourself though, still got galactic history to do! ;)

Just a thought, lightsaber types - curved, pikes, double- bladed. Don't know if it's your area of expertise, but just a thought.

Ha, ha! Don't get ahead of yourself though, still got galactic history to do! ;)

Just a thought, lightsaber types - curved, pikes, double- bladed. Don't know if it's your area of expertise, but just a thought.

Right, yeah. And the lightsaber types are a good idea as well. Lightstaffs, Lightwhips, all of those non-standard Lightsabers are pretty cool.